Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 40-man roster

djoctagone

this thread serves to project how the brewers' 40-man roster will shake out during spring training and by opening day. the 40-man roster is currently full. barring the addition of any other players via trade or free agency, here's what we can expect:

--mark rogers is out of minor league options. with his 2012 performance, he is a lock to make the 25-man roster.

--jeff bianchi is out of minor league options, and was outrighted off the 40-man last year. if he's outrighted again, another team can claim him, or he can declare free agency. if bianchi does not make the 25-man roster, a 40-man spot opens.

--with mat gamel out for the season, the brewers will place him on the 60-day disabled list. this will open up a 40-man spot.

--miguel de los santos is out until july with a shoulder injury, but does have one minor league option remaining. if the brewers place him on the 60-day disabled list, he accrues major league service time, but he also opens up a spot on the 40-man roster.

--the brewers would be foolish to place corey hart on the 60-day disabled list. he will open the season on the 15-day disabled list and will thus remain on the 40-man roster.

--with the brewers auditioning many players on minor league contracts in major league camp, there is a lot of competition for one or two spots on the 40-man and/or 25-man roster. expect many of the older players to have opt-out clauses in their contracts if they're not added to the 40-man and/or 25-man roster by a certain date. sometimes it's the end of spring training, sometimes it's a couple months into the season.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bianchi's being out of options gives him an inside track on an opening day roster spot. His competition would have to clearly prove they are better, and I don't see that happening. Bianchi outhit Green at Nashville last year, and the non roster guys aren't anything special. Green could stick and play 1B. Crosby? Murphy? No thanks.

Gamel will go on the 60 man DL and that will free up a spot.

de los santos accruing major league time won't be a consideration.

I disagree that Rogers is a lock. If he tanks in ST and the other rotation candidates look good, then he may not make it. Although, he could still be kept in the bullpen. I'd say that he is a good bet, but not a lock. Chances are that at least one of the others doesn't outperform him anyway. I'm not sure that Bianchi being out of options makes much difference. I don't think he's seen as that valuable of a commodity that he'd be kept just for that reason if he doesn't earn it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I disagree that Rogers is a lock. If he tanks in ST and the other rotation candidates look good, then he may not make it. Although, he could still be kept in the bullpen. I'd say that he is a good bet, but not a lock. Chances are that at least one of the others doesn't outperform him anyway.

I would have to say that Rogers is pretty darn close to a lock. They have too much invested to come this far and then cut him loose. If he pitches so poorly in ST that they don't even want him in as the garbage bullpen guy, they will "find" some injury to put him on the IR. After a nice long rehab stint in the minors, if he still doesn't have it.....

If he pitches so poorly in ST that they don't even want him in as the garbage bullpen guy, they will "find" some injury to put him on the IR. After a nice long rehab stint in the minors, if he still doesn't have it.....

If we did that every time someone suggested it the Brewers would set records every season for mediocre players getting mystery injuries. In reality you can't "find" an injury. It has to be documented by people whose professional integrity is on the line. Not to mention Rogers isn't going to go along with a fake injury. Given his history it would be much worse for his career than a bad spring training would be. Even if the alternative was to be cut or go to the minors.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

the call for bianchi over a player on a minor league contract such as donnie murphy or bobby crosby is this: if bianchi makes the club and stays the entire year, the brewers can control him for six more years. if murphy or crosby make the club, they're free agents at the end of the season (assuming they last longer than brooks conrad did).

we're not privy to any opt-out clauses for murphy or crosby, but i'd imagine either player's opt-out clause wouldn't be until june or july (more seasoned veterans typically get earlier opt-out clauses). for example, if bianchi makes the club, the organization keeps its depth with murphy. if murphy makes the club, it's likely at the expense of bianchi, and bianchi is lost.

The Brewers are so thin at SS throughout the minors that I have to think guys like Murphy & Crosby are intended to be short-term fillers more than anything else. I just can't see the org. losing Bianchi, basically for the reasons djoctagone laid out. Bianchi/Green seems to be a pretty nicely-matched pair of backup IFs, being RH/LH & covering all the IF spots between the two of them.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Brewers are so thin at SS throughout the minors that I have to think guys like Murphy & Crosby are intended to be short-term fillers more than anything else. I just can't see the org. losing Bianchi, basically for the reasons djoctagone laid out. Bianchi/Green seems to be a pretty nicely-matched pair of backup IFs, being RH/LH & covering all the IF spots between the two of them.

I agree with this. I see virtually no scenario where Murphy and Crosby are here at this time next year let alone seasons down the road.

The "last spot" on the position side, which unfortunately is centered around our starting 1B, will be interesting. If Morris wins the temporary 1B job out of spring training, will they keep three backup infielders in Gonzalez, Bianchi and Green, or will they opt for a fifth OF, either through a late veteran pickup or a "youngster" in Gindl or K Davis? If they go with Gonzalez/Green at 1B, then it makes sense to have Gonzalez, Green and Bianchi (or Murphy/Crosby) on the roster, but they'd still have an opening on the position side where we could fit that 5th OF, as Morris would be in AAA.

When Braun leaves for the WBC, Gindl and Davis will get a chance to shine, and right now it looks to me like one of them has a pretty good chance of breaking camp with the team. I think that Morris will win the job or not based on his own merit. Green, Bianchi, Gindl and Davis are fighting over the remaining two or three spots, with Murphy and Crosby on the outside looking in.

As to pitching, after reading that we get an extra year's service time if we keep Peralta in AAA through late May, I'm leaning towards starting with a rotation of Gallardo, Estrada, Fiers, Narveson, Rogers. Axford, Henderson, Badenhop, Gorzellany and Gonzalez are pretty much locks for the bullpen, with Kintzler and Olmsted probably holding the inside track for the final two spots.

To the 40-man, Melvin is probably holding Gamel's spot for Morris. If he doesn't step up and claim the spot, it leaves an opening to grab a veteran late in spring training as another team tries to slip someone through.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If I was the Rockies management, I'd be drooling over Mark Rogers. I just think since his fastball is so top of the zone, it would really play well in Coors. His breaking stuff would still be on a different plane, I just think he'd be less impacted by the Denver air than most.

So I could see a late spring deal, not that I'd be rooting for one.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

LHP Miguel De Los Santos has been optioned to AAA Nashville. He is expected to be sidelined until July with a shoulder injury, but has also been stuck with visa issues in the Dominican Republic, so he hasn't even been getting treatment in Maryvale (perhaps at the Brewers' D.R. facility?).

Rotoworld: The Brewers claimed De Los Santos off waivers from the Rangers last September after he struggled with a 5.22 ERA at Double-A level. However, the left-hander has a career 13.6 K/9 rate in the minors and will be brought along slowly as he recovers from a shoulder injury. De Los Santos has a low-90s fastball and plus changeup and should have a future as a late-inning reliever.

That was De Los Santos' final minor league option. If he is still on the 40-man roster in spring of 2014, he'll need to make the big league club out of spring training or otherwise be exposed to waivers.

With his option to AAA, the Brewers won't need to pay a big league salary to De Los Santos. But the option also takes away the opportunity to free up a 40-man roster spot by placing him on the 60-day DL.

You might remember these posts:

Why former Ranger Miguel De Los Santos could be the best dollar the Brewers ever spent

By Jerry Fraley, DallasNews.com

If former Rangers prospect Miguel De Los Santos does anything for Milwaukee, it will be the best dollar the Brewers ever spent.

Milwaukee obtained De Los Santos, a left-hander, from the Rangers on a waiver claim. The Rangers removed De Los Santos from the major league roster on Aug. 31 to clear a spot for Profar.

Ordinarily, the Rangers would have tried to keep De Los Santos in the organization by putting him on outright waivers. A team that claimed De Los Santos would have paid $20,000 to the Rangers. They picked up $60,000 on three previous claims this year.

The Rangers had put De Los Santos on “trade” waivers earlier in the month and pulled him back when an unidentified club made a claim. Because of the earlier move, the Rangers were prohibited by the rules from putting De Los Santos on outright waivers in this period. The only way to remove him from the 40-man roster was by release waivers.

The difference is $19,999.

The payment for adding a player on release waivers is only $1. The Brewers got a bargain.

Bianchi/Green seems to be a pretty nicely-matched pair of backup IFs, being RH/LH & covering all the IF spots between the two of them.

Makes a ton of sense. I hope it happens.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

With his option to AAA, the Brewers won't need to pay a big league salary to De Los Santos. But the option also takes away the opportunity to free up a 40-man roster spot by placing him on the 60-day DL.

correct me if i'm wrong, but the brewers could still call up de los santos (not to report to the 25-man roster) and then transfer him to the 60-day disabled list?

could the brewers make any of these moves if de los santos continues to have visa problems and is unable to enter this country, or would that qualify for a move to the restricted list?

furthermore, would a medical exam conducted in the dominican republic be sufficient evidence for the players union to allow de los santos to be placed on the 60-day disabled list? does medical evidence have to be determined by a medical professional on the brewers' payroll, or can it come from any accredited medical professional?

Man. I really, really, really, really, really... really hope Manzanillo can bounce back this season. Not sure how realistic it is or isn't to hope he can get back to flirting with triple digits on his FB after his shoulder injury, but I guess I'll still hope he can get there.

I really hope that Olmsted and/or Hellwig make the 25 man roster. However, my guess is that only one or neither of them will (they both still have options available...correct?). I'm a big fan of guys who can throw heat coming out of the bullpen. I also like those kind of guys as closers. Not sure about anyone else, but I'm not entirely comfortable with the Brewers closing situation.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It all depends on whether or not Rogers makes the rotation. If he doesn't, he'll likely take the last spot in the pen. If he does make it, then there's an opening for one of those guys. But anything's possible at this point. I'm not positive Kintzler is a lock if he struggles throughout ST.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I want Hellweg to remain a starter, as he has the potential to be a good starter. If he can't make it as a starter, then he could be a back-of-the-bullpen reliever, but that's not nearly as valuable as a good starter. He's young, and I don't think he'd get enough innings in the 2013 bullpen to be able to make a good transition back to becoming a starter. In other words, if he's in the bullpen this year, they will probably try to groom him to being a future closer. I'd rather let him sink or swim as a starter first.

I do hope that Olmsted makes it, and I think he has a pretty good shot. He actually seems to be the interim closer while WBC is going on, so I think he's got Roenicke's confidence. As I mentioned earlier, Axford, Henderson, Badenhop, Gorzellany and Gonzalez are pretty much locks for the bullpen, so that would leave one opening (along with Olmsted). That could be Narveson/Rogers, or (if Peralta starts in AAA to gain a year of control) it could go to someone with an option who could be sent down to AAA when a fresh arm is needed.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I want Hellweg to remain a starter, as he has the potential to be a good starter. If he can't make it as a starter, then he could be a back-of-the-bullpen reliever, but that's not nearly as valuable as a good starter. He's young, and I don't think he'd get enough innings in the 2013 bullpen to be able to make a good transition back to becoming a starter. In other words, if he's in the bullpen this year, they will probably try to groom him to being a future closer. I'd rather let him sink or swim as a starter first.

I do hope that Olmsted makes it, and I think he has a pretty good shot. He actually seems to be the interim closer while WBC is going on, so I think he's got Roenicke's confidence. As I mentioned earlier, Axford, Henderson, Badenhop, Gorzellany and Gonzalez are pretty much locks for the bullpen, so that would leave one opening (along with Olmsted). That could be Narveson/Rogers, or (if Peralta starts in AAA to gain a year of control) it could go to someone with an option who could be sent down to AAA when a fresh arm is needed.

I echo everything here. Let the young guys fail as starters before you move them to the bullpen. I really like Olmsted and he seems to have been doing pretty well this spring. With Axford hopefully returning to 2011 form and Hendo, Olmsted, etc., I think the BP should be at least average this year and not the crap that it was last year.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I really hope that Olmsted and/or Hellwig make the 25 man roster. However, my guess is that only one or neither of them will (they both still have options available...correct?). I'm a big fan of guys who can throw heat coming out of the bullpen. I also like those kind of guys as closers. Not sure about anyone else, but I'm not entirely comfortable with the Brewers closing situation.

I don't believe the Brewers are anywhere close to moving Hellweg from starter to the bullpen just yet. Not saying it won't happen, but there's no reason to give up on him as a SP at this point.

--jeff bianchi is out of minor league options, and was outrighted off the 40-man last year. if he's outrighted again, another team can claim him, or he can declare free agency. if bianchi does not make the 25-man roster, a 40-man spot opens.

with reports that alex gonzalez is pegged as the brewers' starting first baseman until corey hart returns, the brewers will need a bench player who can play short. this bodes well for jeff bianchi to make the 25-man roster.

Archived