Surprises: Gomez, Gonzalez and Estrada

World Series: Braves over Angels

Record: 84-78

Division: Third

All Stars: Braun, Lucroy

Surprises: Bullpen, Alex Gonzalez, Jean Segura

Disappointments: Starting Pitching, Aramis Ramirez, Corey Hart

World Series: Tigers over Nationals

With respect to the Kyle Lohse news(?) I find it necessary to update my previous prediction...

Record: 85-77

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Record 85-77

Division: 2nd behind Reds

Disappointments: Rogers, Segura, new RPs

Surprises: Gomez, Fiers mostly repeat last year

World Series: Nationals and Blue Jays will be the best 2 teams but some goofy team will sneak in and win it even though they are the 5th or 6th best team.

I have to change my projection to 87-75 and between the Cardinals injuries and this signing I'm much much more confident in that 2nd place finish than before.

Record: 85 - 77

Division: 2nd behind Reds

All-Stars: Braun, Gallardo

Disappointments: Fiers

Surprises: Gomez (leads the league in SBs), Lohse (not as good as last year, but keeps the people with pitchforks at bay)

World Series: Reds and Tigers

Record: 89-73

Division: 2nd behind Reds,

Wild Card: Earn 2nd Wild Card

All-Stars: Braun, Ramirez, Gomez

Surprises: Gomez, Burgos, Segura, Aoki (will be in top 5 in BA)

Disappointments: Gonzalez (will hit under .200, and be released in June), Henderson, Kintzler, Maldonado (a WBC casualty for inaction)

Record: 88-74

Division: 2nd in division to Reds

Wild Card: First Wild Card Home playoff game!

All-Stars: Braun, Weeks, Ramirez, Gomez, Lucroy

Surprises: Peralta Rookie of the Year (or Rookie Pitcher of the Year)

Record: 79-83

Division: 3rd...Reds struggle through a patch...then win division with 88

All Stars: Braun, Weeks, Axford.

Disappointment: A couple of the starters...just not sure which one, but a couple will implode.

Surprises: Hiram Burgos is in rotation after all-star break...and pitches ok.

Seriers: Tigers beat the Braves in 5.

Despite that prediction...a playoff spot is still a possibility for the Brewers. The team has a much wider band of probability than normal, depending on their pitching. 90 wins wouldn't shock me...neither would 70.

I'll tack on a couple wins on the Lohse signing to get to .500...and one more because it's opening day and hope springs eternal...but then I'm taking one back for Yuni...81-81.

I'd also say the Lohse signing takes away more of the downside than adds to the upside. Tough to get below 74-75 wins without major injuries now, but no change in the probabilty of 90 wins. That was dependent on the starters all hitting their upside targets...to where Lohse's upside is as well.

Also previously changed my Braves losing WS to the Nats.

• 5 months later...
Record: 75-87

Division: 4th, ahead of the cubs

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer...

The Brewers finish the 2013 season with a record of 74-88. Turnbow59 was the closest with his prediction of 75-87. Congrats?

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Do I get a trophy? haha

I don't post often but Im a daily reader. While this season had its downs, it was still better than those seasons in the early 2000s. Looking forward to the playoffs and to next season already. I'll root for the Athletics in the playoffs, since I always did like them as my AL team.

With all the turmoil that the Brewers went through this year, a 74-88 season has to be considered the best possible record the Brewers could have had. If you would've told me at the beginning of the year that Braun would be hurt then suspended for 65 games, plus Weeks & Hart suffering season ending injuries and Ramirez being hurt a good portion of the season, I'd have pegged the Brewers for a record somewhere around 63-99. Being 54-55 from June through September, as well as 68-66 for all months not named May, I would have to say the Brewers outperformed expectations given the circumstances.

Extrapolating what Braun and Ramirez actually did this year would have probably been another 7 WAR between them.(probably pretty close since Braun looks like about a 6 WAR year to year player and Ramirez about 4 WAR) Call Hart another 3(which is more than he gave last year). Call Weeks a 3(which is more than he put up last year and is probably a little generous considering last year. That puts us at 87 but then you have Gomez who probably outplayed his expected WAR by about 4 puts us back at 83. That's within a couple games of expectations. I think people overestimate how much each individual player is worth.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived