Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Predictions 2013

MVP2110

I remember a thread similiar to this idea last year and thought it'd be a good idea to go for it again so here's mine....

Record 89-73

Division: 2nd(wildcard)

All Stars: Gallardo, Braun, Ramirez

Disappointments: Estrada, Weeks, Gomez

Surprises: Segura, Schafer, Rogers

World Series: Rays over Braves

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Record 94-68

Division: Division winners

All Stars: Gallardo, Braun, Ramirez (Wily Peralta a close 4th)

Disappointments: Narveson, Gomez

Surprises: Segura, Schafer, Rogers, Olmsted

World Series: Brewers over Blue Jays

Brewers pitching will send shock waves throughout the NL starting this season and for years to come. They will shock the Reds right out of the playoffs.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I was wondering when we were going to get one of these threads (of course, I was too lazy to start it myself). My predictions are going to be very similar to razzzorsharp's:

Record: 80-82

Division: 3rd place (Reds, Cardinals)

All-Stars: Ryan Braun, Jonathan Lucroy

Disappointments: Fiers, Narveson, Estrada, Axford, Weeks.

Surprises: Lucroy builds on his pre-injury 2012 and establishes himself as premier NL catcher. Wily Peralta establishes himself as a very solid #2 behind Gallardo and is a very outside ROY candidate. Michael Olmsted has a strong year and establishes himself as a setup man and potential closer option behind Axford, who will be decent but not regain his 2011 dominance. Ryan Braun has another MVP type year but loses to someone on a playoff team (maybe that's not really a surprise).

World Series: Dodgers over Tigers.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Record 85-77

Division: 2nd behind Reds

All Stars: Braun, Lucroy

Disappointments: Rogers, Segura, new RPs

Surprises: Gomez, Fiers mostly repeat last year

World Series: Nationals and Blue Jays will be the best 2 teams but some goofy team will sneak in and win it even though they are the 5th or 6th best team.

Record 90-72

Division: Tie for first - Reds ... Brewers lose 1 game playoff in Cincy - get wild card

All Stars: Braun, Gallardo, Axford

Disappointments: Ramirez, Weeks

Surprises: Peralta - top 10 ROY, Axford - all star

World Series: That's a crap shoot - I will go Brewers/Braves NLCS (Nats, Reds, Dodgers - make playoffs) ... Angels over Tigers in ALCS (Rays, Jays, Rangers)

Bombers, If there is a 1 game playoff at Great American ballpark I will be in attendance, and the Brewers will win. I live 2 hours away in Columbus, OH.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Record: Around .500

Division: Fighting it out with the Pirates for #3/4 in the division

Position player outlook: Segura will cement himself as a solid (but not spectacular) MLB starting SS. Braun will of course remain dominant. Aoki will be a solid leadoff man. Gomez will have around a .285 OBP, but will hit a lot (for him) of HR and steal a lot of bases in an effort to push up his "counting stats" in a free agent year, prompting Melvin to trade him at the deadline and allow Schafer to start. Schafer will hit the ground running and have a solid second half, leading to a debate as to whether he's "proven" himself or whether we need to find a free agent next offseason. Hart will miss the first 1.5 months and return with good power and no speed. He'll have good numbers, but they'll be somewhat subdued as he rushes back and tries to play through injuries in his walk year. Morris will have a down spring, so he'll start in AAA with Gonzalez our starting 1B. Within the first week, everyone at Brewerfan.net will have torn all their hair out, and within the first month, "casual fans" will be screaming for change at 1B. Ramirez will put up good numbers, but not as good as last year. Weeks will have a solid season, which will be cut short by some odd injury around late July or August. Lucroy will show that he is a top-tier MLB catcher, while Maldonado will show that he is a defensive whiz with a good enough bat to be a solid MLB catcher.

Pitcher outlook: Gallardo will have a solid season, but won't put up enough wins for the "talking heads" to give him any credit. Estrada will continue to show that he's a capable MLB starter. Fiers will have a "sophomore slump" as hitters now know what to expect from him. Peralta will dominate in some games, and have some games where he blows up. At the end of his season, his numbers may not be what we like, but he will have shown growth towards eventually becoming a #2/3 starter. Rogers will have a down spring, so he'll be sent to the bullpen in favor of Narveson, who will show that he is what he is... a decent #4/5 starter. Rogers will perform well enough in the bullpen that the Brewers will decide that is where he will spend his career. The bullpen overall will be better than last year, which has to be almost a given, but bullpens overall are a crapshoot, so I'd say we'll have an "average" bullpen, with Olmstead being the biggest positive surprise. Axford will pitch well enough to keep his role as closer, but leaves us with a big question mark as to whether he's worth the escalating arby price tag going forward.

World Series: One of the teams with a multi-billion dollar TV deal vs one of the other teams with a multi-billion dollar TV deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

82-80

Bullpen is above average, other than Axford who is okay at best. The young starting pitchers are up and down - but not bad enough that sending them down is a consideration. Weeks has a monster year. Hart and Aoki have off years and RR takes too long to drop them down the order.

I withhold the right to change any of this prediction through spring training.

Record: 80-82

Division: 3rd behind the Reds and Cardinals

All Stars: Braun, Weeks

Disappointments: Gallardo, Axford, Lucroy

Surprises: Davis, Morris, Segura

World Series: Tigers over Reds

Hopefully Melvin trades Gallardo, Hart, Gomez, and Weeks before the deadline.

Record 87-75

Division: 2nd behind the Reds. We miss the playoffs as Nationals and Braves will get the two from the East. Possible 2nd Wild Card birth, but we'll be battling with Giants, Dodgers, Phillies and Cardinals.

All Stars: Braun, Lucroy, Ramirez, Fiers

Disappointments: Mike Gonzalez, Peralta

Surprises: Narveson, Rogers, Estrada, Olmsted, Weeks (Rickie Receives the Comeback Player of the Year award)

World Series: Angels over Nationals.

Community Moderator

There's definitely potential, but too many uncertainties regarding the rotation and bullpen.

Record: 78-84

Division: 3rd

All Stars: Braun, Weeks

Surprises: Hart will match his 2012 numbers, Gonzalez will be an important contributor

Disappointments: Axford, Fiers

World Series: Nationals over Angels

Record: 79-83

Division: 3rd...Reds struggle through a patch...then win division with 88

All Stars: Braun, Weeks, Axford.

Disappointment: A couple of the starters...just not sure which one, but a couple will implode.

Surprises: Hiram Burgos is in rotation after all-star break...and pitches ok.

Seriers: Tigers beat the Braves in 5.

Despite that prediction...a playoff spot is still a possibility for the Brewers. The team has a much wider band of probability than normal, depending on their pitching. 90 wins wouldn't shock me...neither would 70.

Bombers, If there is a 1 game playoff at Great American ballpark I will be in attendance, and the Brewers will win. I live 2 hours away in Columbus, OH.

Ha! Awesome! I figured I might as well go with something a little different - 1 game playoff sounds fun (if your guaranteed a wild card with a loss)

Despite that prediction...a playoff spot is still a possibility for the Brewers. The team has a much wider band of probability than normal, depending on their pitching. 90 wins wouldn't shock me...neither would 70.

I do find your projection pessimistic but I completely agree with this post. They have a close to .500 team even with awful starting pitching but the actual outcome of the SP is so high variance that it is really hard to peg how many wins they will actually have. I can see high 70s and I can easily see low 80s and there is an outside shot for close to 90.

Can I have the Powerball numbers for Wednesday?

Anyways

Record: 81-81

Division 3rd (Reds, Cardinals, Brewers, Pirates, Cubs)

All-Stars: Braun

Disappointments: Lucroy, Gomez, Aoki

Surprises: Olmsted, Segura

World Series: Nationals over Angels

Archived