Brewer Fanatic

Tips for attending games and practice during Spring training

Dean Machine

I have seen topics like this in the past but can't find them now and at the time I didn't pay much attention at the time because I have never really contemplated going down to Phoenix but I just found a cheap last minute flight and am going to go down for a few days next week. By the way I was able to get two front row tickets behind the batters box in the game at the Royals Surprise Stadium location for a total of $26 with fees and delivery through Stubhub. Amazing. The other two games I'm going to attend are at the home Maryvale location and I was just planning on getting lawn tickets.

My question is what time do the Brewers practice before a 1:00 game and what kind of access do fans have? Also, as someone who has zero interest in autographs is there any chance for access to players who may stop and pose for pictures? If so where is the best place to hang out before the games or even during the games for access to the players?

Also, any suggestions on best Mexican restaurant in the area?

Thanks in advance.

I have seen topics like this in the past but can't find them now and at the time I didn't pay much attention at the time because I have never really contemplated going down to Phoenix but I just found a cheap last minute flight and am going to go down for a few days next week. By the way I was able to get two front row tickets behind the batters box in the game at the Royals Surprise Stadium location for a total of $26 with fees and delivery through Stubhub. Amazing. The other two games I'm going to attend are at the home Maryvale location and I was just planning on getting lawn tickets.

My question is what time do the Brewers practice before a 1:00 game and what kind of access do fans have? Also, as someone who has zero interest in autographs is there any chance for access to players who may stop and pose for pictures? If so where is the best place to hang out before the games or even during the games?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't hang out all that much around anywhere but the facilities in Maryvale. There really isn't much to do around there and you don't really want to be staying there after the games especially if it is after dark. As for a good Mexican restaurant Macayos isn't all that bad as that is the only restaurant I have been to near that area. The closest one is about 12 min away on W. Thomas Rd.

An FYI the Royals stay at the Comfort Inn & Suites on 13337 W Grand Ave or at least the majority of their minor league players do.

I'm not sure about getting player photos. When we were there a couple years ago, while a few of the really low level minor leaguers were somewhat accessible, but the big league guys weren't exactly waiting around to interact with fans. It's also tough to get autographs near the clubhouse unless you're a kid.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm not sure about getting player photos. When we were there a couple years ago, while a few of the really low level minor leaguers were somewhat accessible, but the big league guys weren't exactly waiting around to interact with fans. It's also tough to get autographs near the clubhouse unless you're a kid. My wife did manage to get Corey Hart to sign a ball before a game started by waiting down by the field level near the dugout though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

As someone else mentioned, posing for photos is rather difficult to accomplish with guys who are usually on a schedule of some sort (remember that this is their job), but I have have seen an occasional photo down there, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. There are others that you might be able to get a photo with, though. Walking on the concourse down the right field side a few years back I ran into Bill Schroeder and he stopped and autographed a ball and posed for a photo. I've also seen coaches pose for photos, too.

As for autographs, the best place is down the the first base line before games and down in the right field corner about halfway through games until the end as veteran players leave the game and are headed to the clubhouse. Most of the big names will still snub you (I'm looking at you, YoGa), but there is a fence between the concourse and the clubhouse entrance area, and lots of guys will sign there.

Thanks for the help. I asked about the pictures because my cousin always goes to the Twins training camp in Fort Myers and always seems to come home with pictures of her and players but she is an attractive woman so maybe that means my wife would have a better chance :) She loves Carlos Gomez "Gomey" so I was just hopeful.

the Macayos on 75th and Thomas is next to Desert Sky Mall which is an area I wouldnt recommend frequenting after dark . If you have time and a means of transportation, I recommend the Tee Pee Tap Room which is just south of Chase Field downtown. I believe you also mentioned you will be going to Surprise Stadium. The stadium is at Bullard Ave and Bell Rd. There is another great Mexican restaurant at Bell Rd and Litchfield Rd (about a mile east of the stadium) called Rio Mirage Cafe.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Some good mexican options out here, but I have yet to find anything here that stacks up with the old Rudy's in downtown Milwaukee that we went to before Marquette games. Are you staying near the stadium, in Scottsdale, Phoenix, Tempe, etc?

Some good mexican options out here, but I have yet to find anything here that stacks up with the old Rudy's in downtown Milwaukee that we went to before Marquette games. Are you staying near the stadium, in Scottsdale, Phoenix, Tempe, etc?

Have you gone to Carolina's? The one on E Mohave Street is the best but it is not in that great of an area.

I like Old Chicago the best over on Bell and 59th. Gallagher's and Padre Murphy's is also nice. Not sure how young you are Dean Machine but Hurricane Bay can be rather fun or any bar on Mill Ave in Tempe.

I've never heard of any of those places. I'm maybe in those areas you mentioned once per year.

Old Chicago is over by the Peoria Sports Complex or there about same with Gallagher's and Padre Murphy's. And you haven't heard of Carolina's? If you ever come to Phoenix and want some good traditional Mexican food go to Carolina's on E Mohave. Also if you are in the downtown area Downtown Deli which is on Monroe and Capital is a great sandwich shop! It is right next to the Chase tower which is about a half of a mile from the Dbacks stadium.

Thanks for all the info. We're staying at the LaQuinta on Black Canyon Hwy as it reviewed okay was reasonably prices and sort of central to the two stadiums, Camelback and Piestewa for some morning exercise, and downtown (We're going to a Suns game and of course Pizzeria Bianco).

Here's another question. Does anyone know if they allow access to the field during offseason stadium tours at Chase? The reason I ask if that as we visit stadiums I have been doing stadium tours whenever possible and I have pictures of myself in like 18 dugouts but when we toured Chase during the season we were not allowed dugout access. I might retake the tour just for the photo op.

I lived down there for two years and with that basically lived in the parking lot in Maryvale during Spring Training. The best time for photos and/or autographs are during the mornings.....EARLY. Things are going to be chaotic this year, however with half our entire organization in the WBC....or so it seems. A great way to get some autos are when the Brewers are playing in an away stadium, go to Maryvale mid morning and you'll find guys always floating around. I used to see numerous HR derbys amongst the pitchers. Yo always won. Typically they would let people watch and go right down to field level in the stands. Since there were rarely more than two dozen people there max, the players were always willing to chat, take pics, and sign things.

Also if you are hanging out near Camelback Mt. YOU HAVE to go to Arriba Mexican Grill on Camelback, just east of Hwy 51 about a block. The best Mexican we found down there, and it was a furious two year search.

As for Chase Field, I know they give tours year round. However, I would doubt they are giving them during the WBC times. They are usually pretty happy to close down the tours/entire area if a big event (like the WBC) is going on. Eating at Friday's in there is usually pretty fun regardless of whether anything is going on or not.

Here's a few tips:

* check out the nightlife in old town Scottsdale. It's the premiere spot where all the beautiful ppl congregate. A few spots to peek into Spanish fly, shotgun Betty's, el jefe, pussycat lounge, etc. it's all walking distance from each other.

* along the same lines, make sure you check out a home game at SFG stadium. The high concentration of silicone sits on the grass behind outfield walls. It's glorious. Pay the money (or extra money) to go. It's worth it. (Hadn't been to salt river fields yet, but imagine its similar)

* announcers autographs are easy to get after the games at the parks where fans can walk up to the media box window. To interact w brewers HOF radio announcer, simply verify his game call appearance in Mesa, Peoria, Scottsdale SFG. And stake out the box immediately after game conclusion. He'll generally sign for all begrudgingly. Pretty cool.

*. Parking at Maryvale. I'd suggest the WMT on 53rd and Indian school. There is cameras surveillance and definitely find the shaded spots. It's a 3-4m walk to the game dep if you enter third or first base side.

* early entry, if you are among the first ppl in, volunteer for game promotions. You'll be a participant in a mindless trivia game and be asked to reveal that Ryan Braun was a Miami hurricane, brewers played the angels in 82 alcs, or name that tune buffet margaritaville. Even singing for your supper will net you $50 if that promo is back.

* auto seekers can find some sporatic chances during game at back right field concourse plaza adjascent to team store thru metal garter fence. And along back perimeter after game. dont pursue either w high expectations. You'll soon find that many who sign are effectively non contributors (whether or not they play at MLB level). And hilarious how folks embarrassingly ask IDs of these guys. I'd even heard an acct of a lady - excuse me for asking but who are you?

* the tip to attend Maryvale for onfield practice on day game when brewers are away is golden

* where to sit: not a challenge to get the cheapest ticket and walk into any row / sect you want. This strategy will work at the peripheral stadiums like all west phx venues and weekday early month matinees. Hard to get in trouble even if there are ushers casually checking.

* heck it's even a possibility to walk into the game w/o paying for anything. There's parking possibilities outside the pay lot and w some red residue on your hand its not tough to beat that same elderly lady who ushers enter re entry. I've never tried this game but heard about some accts of this.

* don't park at the shopping center adjacent to Maryvale w USA pawn. The threats a out towing are likely empty but its way too easy to get to WMT. Many times there's a hired Mexican dude who sits and watches and will act like a bully.

* bobblehead day. Get there early. They will run out. There will be variants if its in the mix.

* racing sausages race down right field dirt track past brewers dugout each home game. They'll take pix w all for 15m after. I think this happens sometime around 6th inning. It's easy to get a good photo angle to shoot it if that's your thing. (I'm a hard core sports shooter)

That's about all my secrets divulged. It's been fun going to 8 seasons so far of spring training magic. I hope some of you will get to employ these tactics you'll read by others posted. One of my favorite post game activities is to go to glass cage sports at desert sky mall and find the discounts of unusual things back of store. If you ask for Andy, he'll even give you some percentage off or cashier if ask. (I'd never bothered but they do it - ESP if you buy a little extra)

I'd been back and forth lately btw AZ and WI. Hope to meet brewerfan board members more this year off the board. Perhaps make a few trades. I'm all stocked w Bernie terrace bobble seat inventory from buying into a ticket plan w early purchase date 2/15, 2/16. Gpt 8/10 All fan sga Sundays but no Braun and no Ogilvie.

Might be a good idea to address OP questions. Fans generally seek access pregame along either baseline pregame during BP. Photo opps and autos are not the simplest to get but it does happen for the persistent. I don't like it bc it's a miserable exercise as there's a lot of ppl and who likes begging ppl for attention who would prefer to avoid you at all other costs. The starters are generally happy to stop and pose / sign if you can catch them when there's no crowd. Key: no crowds. You'll find this at away stadiums or home stadium on away game

Practice is generally 930 Ish. Could be earlier or later I don't remember. Of course there's no set sked. Spring training is casually operated. Obviously error on the early.

Mexican restaurant suggestion. Los Reyes de la torta. Get a torta. Location near brewers park or others. Maybe also chino bandito. Fusion of mex / Asian. Get chili rellano cheesy. Really w mex you won't go wrong. Even the 24h shacks like filibertos

---------------

My question is what time do the Brewers practice before a 1:00 game and what kind of access do fans have? Also, as someone who has zero interest in autographs is there any chance for access to players who may stop and pose for pictures? If so where is the best place to hang out before the games or even during the games for access to the players?

Thanks in advance.

Great advice everyone. Just returned from the trip. Used the tips to go to Brewers batting practice on Wednesday before the game in Surprise. Watched the Minor League players take infield and BP for a while and it was cool putting faces to names and then watched the Big League BP at the main facility. Afterwards Braun signed for everyone who wanted and was very friendly and gracious. It was cool to see.

So anyway no photo ops with players but it was a great experience and it was great to hear and see baseball again. I should also say that we headed to Tuscon for a day and a half and hiking Saguaro National Park and checking out the Desert Museum was awesome and the highlight of our trip and I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who heads down to ST.

good to hear about the camp advice.

Also, I've been to the Desert Museum so many times with my wife, I think we are the primary donors for an exhibit. She loves it there and has me take all the pictures. It's fun and something different to do, indeed.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a blast at Maryvale this past weekend. Really enjoyed watching the game and really liked the atmosphere. I guess I had no idea how many people would be there. I thought there would be a lot less! Ha. I was with a big group and it was more about having fun as opposed to breaking down the team, but my one observation was that Figaro was snapping the mitt! You could just hear he was throwing hard.

Anyone had the bloody mary from the stand they have setup there? I was very impressed!

• 3 years later...

Archived