Brewer Fanatic

Travis Ishikawa

DR28

Assuming Ishikawa doesn't make the O's 25 man roster, which I don't see happening...

I would love for Doug to add him again... He would play 1B full time until Corey returns and after that he would go back to the role he filled last year... I liked what Travis did last year.

I imagine that option would be hard for Travis to pass up... What do you guys think?

If it comes down to that, I'd rather just let Green get extended playing time and see what happens. Have Ramirez play 1b against some tough lefties perhaps, with Gonzalez filling in at 3b.

Ishikawa was just not very good last year.

If it comes down to that, I'd rather just let Green get extended playing time and see what happens. Have Ramirez play 1b against some tough lefties perhaps, with Gonzalez filling in at 3b.

Was Green? No, he was a lot worse. Green hit .184/.265/.340 to Ishikawa's .257/.329/.428. Not only was Ishikawa better than Green, he was better than Gamel and Green combined in about the same number of AB's too.

Ishikawa performed okay in a very difficult role. 30 RBI in under 200 AB's is being productive. Expecting great numbers out of part time players is fantasy. Ishikawa's shown he can be satisfactory. "Seeing what Green can do", is rolling the dice. Ishikawa is also a natural 1st baseman and considered a good one, while Green's a bit of a novice there. He'd be a far better option in my opinion than Overbay who's finished, if they look outside the organization.

Another guy who could be available is Dan Johnson, currently in the Yankees camp. After hitting 28 HR in AAA, he got a look for the White Sox in September and slugged .818.

Was Green? No, he was a lot worse. Green hit .184/.265/.340 to Ishikawa's .257/.329/.428. Not only was Ishikawa better than Green, he was better than Gamel and Green combined in about the same number of AB's too.

Ishikawa performed okay in a very difficult role. 30 RBI in under 200 AB's is being productive. Expecting great numbers out of part time players is fantasy. Ishikawa's shown he can be satisfactory. "Seeing what Green can do", is rolling the dice. Ishikawa is also a natural 1st baseman and considered a good one, while Green's a bit of a novice there. He'd be a far better option in my opinion than Overbay who's finished, if they look outside the organization.

Another guy who could be available is Dan Johnson, currently in the Yankees camp. After hitting 28 HR in AAA, he got a look for the White Sox in September and slugged .818.

Personally, I would try Green first, but I could see DM signing Ishikawa for the sole reason to have the best defender at 1B to maybe cover for any yips from Segura and keep his confidence up

What seems to be getting lost is that while Gamel was lost for the season, Hart will probably only miss around a month. Over the course of a month, any of Green, Morris or Ishikawa could be great or terrible... it's a month. Therefore, I don't want to sign a "meh" player. Green and Morris should be fine at 1B (with Morris getting most of the starts) until Hart returns, at which point Morris will go back to AAA, and Green can back up 1B, 2B & 3B.

Once Hart comes back, all Ishikawa would do is pinch hit... at least Green plays all over the field. At this point, it's looking like Green is destined to a utility role, so why not just put him there.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Green has never really gotten a full fledged consistent playing time gig. He has struggled mightly in his at bats, but it's not like he started for any long stretches. Then he goes down and hits in AAA again. Maybe he's a AAAA player, but I think this is a perfect spot to let him try. Just my opinion.

Not sold on Ishikawa. I'd rather wait and see what becomes available throughout Spring Training until the end. Why go out and rush getting a guy now when a player with greater 1b batting impact may become available? Someone said with Carp signed by Boston, they now have 5 1b. What if Morris hits the cover off the ball in ST? Currently, I think since we're in to training camps and such it's time to take a wait and see approach. Players that are available now are there for a reason, how bout we wait for a player that's not available now but becomes available?

• 3 months later...

From the "timing is everything" department, Ishikawa's opt out date is Saturday, the 15th. He's been raking in AAA to the tune of .318/.414/.532 with 7 HR and 16 2B in 203 PA.

Given the Brewers standing in the race, it's doubtful they'd bring him back, but with 1B still up for grabs next year, he's still worth keeping tabs on.

If we can't do better than Ishikawa in-house... well... I don't even want to consider what that means.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived