Brewer Fanatic

OF Depth

With our only 2 1B down, I am far more worried about 1B than our OF. We have guys in the minors that can have a shot at OF this year, I like that, but our lack of a 1B terrifies me.

I don't view 1B as a position we can just tread water at. We need a guy there who can deliver.

Add that to our starting pitching issue, and we may have some serious problems.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

With our only 2 1B down, I am far more worried about 1B than our OF. We have guys in the minors that can have a shot at OF this year, I like that, but our lack of a 1B terrifies me.

I don't view 1B as a position we can just tread water at. We need a guy there who can deliver.

Add that to our starting pitching issue, and we may have some serious problems.

I completely disagree. At least at 1B, they have one of their better prospects in the mix in Morris. Plus they'll be some veterans out there that can be traded for (like an Ishikawa) that can do an adequate job filling in. We also didn't know what they really had in Gamel, so who's to say somebody couldn't do what he would do? Gindl and Davis have zero major league experience and are not guys to have sitting on a major league bench. Neither are prime prospects either. Gamel was a caretaker at 1B and then his role was to be 5th OF, and lead PH bat. Once Hart returns, the 1B issue is solved, but the OF depth issue needs attention. The Brewers are not well fortified in their system with outfielders. They have some decent 1B.

If Braun has to miss a week or Aoki pulls a muscle, who do you stick out there? That's where they need a veteran.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

At least at 1B, they have one of their better prospects in the mix in Morris.

There isn't much difference between Khris Davis and Morris in terms of MLB prospects for this year. Both have their issues that could hold them back (Davis' bat speed, Morris' lack of walks). Morris probably has the higher ceiling, but Davis is more proven at this point.

And seeing that Davis could be a backup OFer vs. Morris a starting 1B... I would think 1B is the more crucial issue.

It's the OF. Position held by many. There's going to be plenty that become available who don't make their teams out of Spring Training. So I'm more concerned with 1b. But even there there are plenty that can be picked from under same scenario. Decent Bats/no Defense. Awful Bat/great Defense. Middle of both types. It's just a wait and see approach currently. No rush to judgement/signing. Better to have the minor guys play for it than to sign someone blocking them in their eyes of having a shot of making the club.

• 3 weeks later...
The Tigers released Brennan Boesch. I think he'd make a nice backup at both corner OF spots. He's the same age as Gamel, who was going to fill that role, with more of a major league track record. Beyond Gonzalez, the Brewer bench remains rather green.

I think Boesch will go to a team where he will get a shot at starting. With the Brewers he is basically locked in a battle for the 4th/5th OF spot. I would like to see Gindl or Kh. Davis first but if Boesch would come in and be willing to be the 4th/5th OF it wouldn't hurt. I just don't see him settling for a backup role.

I think Boesch will go to a team where he will get a shot at starting. With the Brewers he is basically locked in a battle for the 4th/5th OF spot. I would like to see Gindl or Kh. Davis first but if Boesch would come in and be willing to be the 4th/5th OF it wouldn't hurt. I just don't see him settling for a backup role.

I don't think he'd be locked in a battle for that spot. It would be his to lose. Sure he could opt to sign with a team like the Mets, Astros, or Cubs and play more, but at least the Brewers have a hope of contending and in the NL, reserves play a lot more than in the AL.

Archived