Brewer Fanatic

Down goes Gamel [Knee reinjured, out for 2013 season]

pogokat
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no reason to have Gonzalez at 1B for any reason other than a dire emergency. His bat is only excusable if he is somewhere where his defense will cover it. It shouldn't be to difficult to find a better bat at 1B.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

There is no reason to have Gonzalez at 1B for any reason other than a dire emergency. His bat is only excusable if he is somewhere where his defense will cover it. It shouldn't be to difficult to find a better bat at 1B.

Agreed. And until igor mentioned him the lack of Khris Davis mentions saddened me.

I would like to see Taylor Green step up and show he belongs in the majors.

Green is a utility player at best there is no stepping up and proving he belongs in the majors he is what he is. Khris Davis should be the one showing what he can do in the majors not Green.

I'd call the Yankees who have Dan Johnson as a NRI or the Orioles who have Ishikawa as a NRI and see what they'd want. I'm sure there's other names around that could be had for very little but they'll wait and see what they have internally first. Will be interesting to see how the kids like Morris and Sean Halton (yes, he's in major league camp now too) look this spring. You never know. My gut instinct is if Morris rakes this spring, they'll roll the dice on him. It not, they'll look outside.

The issue is more than a fill in at 1B for 4-6 weeks. Gamel was supposed to be a key guy off the bench too and the 5th outfielder.

It's very tough for Gamel, who's likely to lose a 40 man spot before next season. I can't imagine a scenario where he's kept after missing nearly 2 years. At best, he'll be brought back on a minor league deal.

I would like to see Taylor Green step up and show he belongs in the majors.

Green is a utility player at best there is no stepping up and proving he belongs in the majors he is what he is. Khris Davis should be the one showing what he can do in the majors not Green.

Meh, Green had a better year two years ago than Davis or Morris have ever had. Davis is only a year younger it is not like he is a 21 year old prospect.

LaPorta, Salome now Gamel.

Escobar, Brantley and LoCain better watch out as it's looking like there might be some kind of 2008 Huntsville Stars curse going around.

LaPorta is still in Cleveland's system and in camp as a NRI. He could probably be had quite easily for a lot less than than Cleveland paid for him.

Feel bad for him but man is that frustrating. I guess it's more of a heart break for him, not us, but it just stinks. I'm guessing that going with an old vet would be the good move to hold down the fort until Hart gets back. I'd be all about Morris but maybe it's rushing him??? I mean we have Hart coming back so I'm not too worried about going with a stop gap instead of rushing Morris.

Feel bad for him but man is that frustrating. I guess it's more of a heart break for him, not us, but it just stinks. I'm guessing that going with an old vet would be the good move to hold down the fort until Hart gets back. I'd be all about Morris but maybe it's rushing him??? I mean we have Hart coming back so I'm not too worried about going with a stop gap instead of rushing Morris.

I'd rather not call Hunter Morris up to begin this season. He could be a decent player, but I wouldn't want to stunt his growth or take a chance on using a service year on him. If we're replacing Hart and Gamel internally, I would rather go with some combination of Taylor Green, Khris Davis, and Sean Halton. I know Sean Halton isn't a big prospect and likely has a low ceiling, but to the best of my knowledge, he is still in our system and put up decent stats last year. I'd rather put a lower ceiling guy with AAA experience in at first base as a replacement than a higher ceiling guy with no AAA experience.

I would like to see Hunter Morris given a good shot. I really don't see what the Brewers have to lose at this point. It's a better option in my mind than some sort of platoon involving Alex Gonzalez and Taylor Green.

As for Mat Gamel, you have to figure his MLB career is effectively over.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived