Brewer Fanatic

私たちのシーズンがここで準備ができて取得したいのですが。

GenoSeligPrieb

He can say THAT again.

That's a direct quote from Nori Aoki today, when asked why he wasn't playing in that dumb-ass World Baseball Classic. His translator said it was "(he) wanted to get ready for our season here."

Exactly!

Now I know that players can just as easily get injured wearing a Brewer uniform in an exhibition game here in camp, By the way, the practice jerseys are OK, but those caps with the white front look like Tony Migliaccio bought out a roadside stand full of puffy trucker hats, in Guadalajara.

Anyway, I'd rather see our players playing...together. Our own catchers, Maldonado and Lucroy, getting in a rhythm with all of our young and new-to-Milwaukee pitchers, instead of a Blake Lalli or a Dayton Buller working with guys like Gorzellany, Gonzalez and Fiers.

Interestingly, Roenicke saw his shadow this morning and declared "We've got enough guys in the WBC; I'm glad he didn't join in." I'd say the catchers are more important, but hey, a genuine sense of irritation from RR? Who knew?

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

when asked why he wasn't playing in that dumb-ass World Baseball Classic.

i personally rank the WBC slightly less interesting than a cricket test match. And i tried to patent a 24 hour cricket channel as a cure for insomnia.

i'd rather pay for tickets to a lady gaga concert, have her cancel the show, and have ticketmaster keep my children that i gave them as a deposit on the event fee than pay for a WBC game ticket.

i'd rather watch an entire Downton Abbey marathon than any of the WBC.

personally i don't want any Brewers players playing in the WBC and have no interest in following their play at all. Want to represent your country? Here's a military style assault rifle for you to shoot [redacted]. good luck.....

so what am i saying? is there anyone less interested in the WBC than me? i need to know....

Edited by hawing. C'mon, make nicer with the language.

I have tickets to a WBC game. Has been lots of fun to watch the first two times through. These are some fantasy/video game lineups and it's fun to watch. As I've said before, it was great 7 years ago being in Panama and seeing all the old guys at bars to watch games on tvs. They couldn't believe Panama could lose to anyone, despite having only one big leaguer

personally i don't want any Brewers players playing in the WBC and have no interest in following their play at all. Want to represent your country? Here's a military style assault rifle for you to shoot some taliban towel-heads. good luck.....

Dude. :indifferent

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I like the WBC.

The national pride is cool.

Plus I don't get many opportunities to see the Cuban team or the Japanese or Korean teams.

I'm not sure that there's that much lost by major leaguers being away from their home camps..maybe in the case of a new double play combination, or catchers working with new pitchers.

It doesn't really seem like that big a deal.

personally i don't want any Brewers players playing in the WBC and have no interest in following their play at all. Want to represent your country? Here's a military style assault rifle for you to shoot some taliban towel-heads. good luck.....

unreal

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I love the WBC. Really enjoyed watching as many games as I could in 2006 and 2009. Especially like seeing Brewers players represent their countries. Best thing about it is the guys participating really want to be there and want to win. It is nice to watch games in March that actually matter and are competitive. That might be the best thing about it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

unreal

To be fair it is not unreal at all as millions of Americans have done this and there have been many athletes in the past that have joined the military after going pro. Probably not a good comparison to the WBC though.

I don't think the responses were about joining the military, but instead about the offensive term used in the post.

this

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Count me in as someone who supports the WBC. In small part because I do like seeing how far the other national teams have come but mostly because I think it promotes baseball on a world wide basis. That is a far better way of doing it than the NFL is by playing a game in Europe or moving a team overseas.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It is a good idea but just like Olympic basketball when you have players who care more about money and a career than representing their country you're just never going to have the best of the best playing. The exhibition style rules certainly don't help either. What I love about Olympic Hockey when the pros play is that players WANT to be on the team. Some people have actually said they'll leave their NHL team to play if the NHL doesn't allow for a break for the Olympics. It's an honor to them. And even though I don't usually watch the NHL I will not miss a USA Olympic Hockey game, even if I have to DVR it. So compare that to the WBC. Even though I watch MLB every day I don't really care about the WBC because to me it's just a set of exhibition games in which the players don't really seem to care if they win or lose.

Who's to say what's "meaningless"? People who root for their countries' teams in the WBC think it's meaningful. MLB players are allowed to play in the WBC, unless their contracts say otherwise, so nothing about the player-team-MLB relationship renders the WBC meaningless. Objectively, WBC games are just as meaningful as MLB games. It's all just sports; none of it affects the world beyond the extent to which people care about sports. I've never watched the WBC and don't feel any burning need to do so, but that's just me. I don't see why my perspective matters more than anyone else's.

Also, I think Fluff makes a good point.

I admit, the main appeal of the WBC for me is that it results in spring training starting early enough so the Brewers can play on my birthday. Twice this year, even, if you count split-squad contests as separate.

I also keep thinking the title of this thread is spam. It's a moderator's life. :ohwell

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I also keep thinking the title of this thread is spam. It's a moderator's life. :ohwell

Imagine when I moused-over the thread title, and found out it had no advice as to where to buy new spy equipment!

The WBC seems like a good thing; it has value if it draws attention in places where baseball is fighting for attention out in Soccer-country (Spain and Brazil qualified for the first time this year). Since baseball is no longer an Olympic medal event, I like the idea of an international competition as a showplace for the sport. What is difficult to say from my perspective is the type of attention these games get in the participant countries.

I like the nationalism, and I like the games on a conceptual level. I think it is something that can grow in its importance over decades, even if it's not completely there in its third iteration. It would also help the profile of the games if someone other than Japan won the thing.

I miss those tours that American major leaguers made to Japan. Back when I was at UWO I remember coming home at 2 AM after a long night of "studying" and finding these November baseball games on Sportschannel America. I used to love finding baseball after I thought the season had finished. I like that better than the WBC. I wish that if the WBC had to be played that it would be done in November. I worry about the potential injuries that could come from it.

The best, and most intense, sporting match I've ever watched was during the innagural WBC while sitting at my desk, in Japan, when Japan lost to Korea 1-0. It's different, there's a history that goes back thousands of years. They don't like each other.

I also recall when the US ump botched the 3rd base tag-up call during the US vs Japan game. That only fed people's suspicions that it was rigged and that the US is, and perhaps rightly so, out of step with the rest of the world.

Archived