Brewer Fanatic

Sights and Sounds From Spring Training

jjgott

toolivebrew, I see it differently. These updates from the blog have been worthless. They remind me of all the trendy "get to know your players" articles you find in which they ask for favorite fast food, favorite band, etc. In the past the previous groups have written some decent articles. Hopefully the content they post becomes worth viewing.

toolivebrew, I see it differently. These updates from the blog have been worthless. They remind me of all the trendy "get to know your players" articles you find in which they ask for favorite fast food, favorite band, etc. In the past the previous groups have written some decent articles. Hopefully the content they post becomes worth viewing.

One get-to-know-me piece is on Badenhop, a player Brewers fans don't yet know. There's video about depth at catcher, a clip with Axford talking about changing his delivery, & lots of good photos. The other get-to-know piece was the very first post on this season's blog, and looked at Jungmann/Kintzler/Crosby, again all players many Brewers fans probably don't know much, if anything, about. I think they've done well so far, given that they've had all of three days so far. I'm not even sure if all the Brewers' players are in camp yet.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm flying down next week and will be at the game on the 28th vs. ChiSox. I've gone down several years over the last decade, and couldn't agree more about the neighborhood it is in. I believe there was some discussion about going back to Chandler a while back. Does anybody have any info into the probability of them getting a new home for ST? I'm pretty sure this is the last year the Cubs are in HoHoKam, but I refuse to go see a game being surrounded by Cubs fans, so I'm not sure of the quality of their complex. While there is nothing wrong with the Maryvale complex itself, I know I would enjoy it more if it were in a nicer part of the Valley.

I haven't heard anything about it.

In my opinion, Maryvale is only a "problem" after dark. During the daytime, it seems to be, for better or worst, just fine.

The Brewers picked Maryvale because they wanted to get out of Chandler so bad. I think the team was told from City of Maryvale officials that they would be helping to launch a plan to better their community and rejuvenate things. I don't know how well that plan has really worked, though.

Personally, I think the Brewers should be spending money on the team itself rather than spending big bucks on a new place for spring training.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Insightful blog post from Adam McCalvy, with Roenicke quotes about Peralta & Rogers --

Roenicke sees high ceiling for Peralta

Just how highly does Brewers manager Ron Roenicke regard Wily Peralta, the team’s consensus top prospect?

The manager offered a glimpse on Thursday morning.

“There’s separation from guys that you think have a chance to be ‘Yo’ [Gallardo] and [CC] Sabathia and Greinke, and other guys are just going to be good Major League pitchers,” Roenicke said. “But Peralta has enough special stuff that he has a chance to be one of those [top-tier] guys.”

Peralta, vying for a spot in Milwaukee’s starting rotation, has yet to see hitters in camp because the Brewers backed off slightly after he reported some stiffness following his first Arizona bullpen session. Peralta is not pitching in the World Baseball Classic, so there is no need to rush him along, Roenicke said.

Here’s how Roenicke compared Peralta and another promising pitcher, Mark Rogers:

“Peralta is more an up top, power, moving ball that’s coming down in the zone, with a tight, nice slider that’s going to be a ‘punch-out’ slider,” Roenicke said. “I know he didn’t punch-out a lot of guys in Triple-A last year, but when he got to us and he commands both of those, he’s going to be a punch-out pitcher.

“Rogers is more an explosive, up in the zone, ‘I’m going to throw it up here and you can’t catch up.’ That’s a completely different pitcher, even though velocities are the same. Peralta is going to be a better pitcher when he’s down in the zone; Rogers might be a better pitcher when he’s up in the zone and up above the zone.”

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't care if they wear clown wigs, as long as they win. Not sure why people care about their haircuts.

That's nice to read about Peralta, I hope he continues pitching the way he did at the end of last season. Could be a huge factor on if we contend or not.

Archived