Brewer Fanatic

Narveson article... Brewers 2013 starting rotation

monty57
there wasnt another narveson thread about his DL stint, so I figure this is the next best place to post McCalvy's tweet

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, Narveson was taken off of the 40-man for a reason, and it's not because anyone on the 60-day DL is coming back presently. They need to make room for someone, either to promote who is not on the 40-man (Sean Halton) or for prospects coming back in a trade (Valverde DFA'd by the Tigers today).

the brewers also may need to make room for miguel de los santos (currently on the restricted list and not on the 40-man roster).

more than likely, the brewers weren't impressed with narveson's rehab outings, and figured that other teams weren't either, so they felt confident he wouldn't be claimed when outrighted.

Why not? Detroit is a strong contender with issues at the back end of their bullpen...they are a prime candidate to overpay for someone like krod. Personally is wait until later and maybe get teams to bid against each other but if Detroit offers a great deal if take it.

Oh, I thought Louis was talking about trading FOR Valverde. My bad.

thats how I took it initially as well. I agree with this could be a window to trade KRod to detroit, happy he got #300 with the brewers, but time to shop him out!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

• 1 month later...

from a tweet from adam mccalvy yesterday . . . could chris narveson's contract be purchased by the brewers to pitch wednesday in place of tom gorzelanny? jimmy nelson started last night, so he's not an option.

it should be noted that if the brewers purchase narveson's contract and try to outright him to the minor leagues again, he will have the right to declare free agency.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewers should deal Gonzalez for whatever they can get for him, then move Narveson to the bullpen for the rest of the year and see how he does in a loogy role. I just don't see how the guy factors in as a starter for 2014. But he could reinvent himself in a bullpen role. From 2010-12 he gave up an OPS of .640 versus lefties - not bad. It was .783 vs right handers.

Narv-dog isnt on the 40-man either, so they'd have to clear a spot in order to bring him back to the majors

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Narveson has strongly voiced his desire to be a Brewer and I think they plan on bringing him back next spring as a NRI, so I don't think he'll refuse an assignment. I kind of expected such a move. I count 39 guys on the 40 man right now, so that isn't an issue either. I suppose somebody could claim him, but not likely.

huh you're right, i just noticed they're at 39 active out of 45.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

doesn't matter right now since Narvy is staying in AAA and Estrada is starting tomorrow

It's a long shot if either of those two is in the rotation next year, but my money's on Narveson.

I wouldn't consider Estrada a long shot. He showed me enough in 2011 and 2012 that he gets the benefit of the doubt and would get "first dibs" when compared to Narveson.

Archived