Brewer Fanatic

Michael Bourn to Indians - 4 years / $48 million

reillymcshane

So we now live in a world where a below average hitter with good defense or a slightly above average hitter with average-to-below-average defense will take up around 15% of the Brewers' payroll, while a superstar player will take up 25-30% of the team's payroll. I don't think we'll be able to build a team or replace talented players through free agency... at least we have the 29th ranked farm system to draw talent from.

It's too bad we "can't trust" Schafer, because trading Gomez may just bring back some talent that could play for league minimum with six years of control. It is fun watching Gomez play defense, so at least we'll get one more year of that before he walks and the Brewers get nothing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It's really going to depend on how much/if they lock up Hart for. Also depends on how the pitching does. If we hit on all 4 guys and have them locked up cheap for the next 2-3 years then it makes sense to give Carlos a 3-4 year deal and try to go for it.

The Brewers payroll will go up. They haven't spent a lot of money this off season because there is no reason to spend much. We are set at every position and they decided to go with young pitching instead of old vets. So no an average player won't take up 15% of our payroll.

I highly doubt Hart will be resigned long term. Microfracture of a knee in a guy turning 30 does not bode well long term. Don't know if Hart wold resign for 3 years or less. I like Gomez. Unless Shafer can get on base don't know if I would turn the reigns over to him.

I don't think Bauer becomes more than a #5 starter so we probably see that deal a lot differently.

I'd take Bauer in an instant over anybody we have right now except for Gallardo and maybe Peralta.

You are way underselling Trevor Bauer's potential. His mechanics might be odd, but odd pitching mechanics never seemed to slow Luis Tiant, or Tim Lincecum.

I think Bauer has 1/2 potential. And I was floored when the Diamondbacks let him go.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I don't think Bauer becomes more than a #5 starter so we probably see that deal a lot differently.

I'd take Bauer in an instant over anybody we have right now except for Gallardo and maybe Peralta.

You are way underselling Trevor Bauer's potential. His mechanics might be odd, but odd pitching mechanics never seemed to slow Luis Tiant, or Tim Lincecum.

I think Bauer has 1/2 potential. And I was floored when the Diamondbacks let him go.

We shall see. I've found very little praise about him. Most put him up in prospect listings quoting that they feel they have to put him there. He has never shown any ability to repeat his delivery or control his pitches. If they get him to change his delivery so he can repeat his mechanics maybe he'll realize that potential but the minors are littered with high upside poor control guys who never made it.

Yeah, aside from being the #3 overall in 2011, & backing it up with a 3.00 cumulative career ERA in the minors (2.42 in '12), or being called up basically one year after being drafted, Bauer is a total disappointment.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It is a prospect, you have to just wait and see. People threw a big hissy fit when I said I didn't think LaPorta would amount to anything either or when I said losing Will Inman was no big loss etc. I was not high on Lincecum as an ace and then he developed his change up which is by far his best pitch and why he was so good. Prospects aren't easy to predict and on average they are overrated by their fanbase. Unless Bauer changes something in how he currently pitches I don't see him becoming a star. It is up to him to change something. From everything I've heard about him it isn't likely that change will come easy as he is extremely stubborn.

Archived