Brewer Fanatic

Reds Sign Manny Parra

MVP2110

Wow, it doesn't say so I'm guessing it's a Major League contract. If so, he might be the pitching version of Yuniesky Betancourt in that he can find Major League work even when nothing he has done can back it up. I know he can strike some guys out, but a career ERA of 5.12 (and it's only gotten worse the last two years) and a walk rate of nearly 13% last year is ridiculously bad. There's always a chance he could turn it around, but I've always had the impression that he has a confidence issue and it's hard to throw in the strike zone with a confidence issue.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Change of scenery might do him well. Want to wish him luck but he plays for a division rival so.....go suck eggs, Manny.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Seriously, they had to give a major league contract for more than league minimum for Manny Parra? Why? LaTroy Hawkins and Matt Capps just signed minor league contracts yesterday. Sure, Hawkins is old and Capps is returning from an injury, but it perplexes me every year which guys are available for minor league deals and which can command a major league deal.

His career ERA as a reliever is 4.10, and he shut down lefties pretty well last year. There's a respectable chance he enjoys a solid career in the bullpen.

Agreed. He's getting pretty underrated around here. I'm sure i'm in the extreme minority, but for $1 mil, I definitely would've brought him back. At the end of the day, he's a lefty with nasty stuff and has shown he's useful out of the bullpen. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he has a good year with Cincy.

Lowest pitching WAR, MLB History

-5.4 Kevin Jarvis

-5.4 Mike Kekich

-5.0 Jerry Stephenson

-5.0 Ray Harrell

-4.9 Brian Williams

-4.8 Randy Lerch

-4.8 Vic Frazier

-4.5 Dan McGinn

-4.4 Jack Hamilton

-4.4 Wade Blasingame

-4.3 Herman Besse

-4.0 Jo-Jo Reyes

-3.9 Tom Fisher

-3.9 Jim Bullinger

-3.9 Frank LaCorte

-3.9 John Van Benschoten

-3.9 Andy Larkin

-3.8 George Boehler

-3.8 Manny Parra

-3.8 Jimmy Jones

But he threw a perfect game in the minors! Lets still hold out hope, maybe give him 100-200 more starts and see what we have with him. I mean Yuni probably walked 3 times in a Cuban game once

His career ERA as a reliever is 4.10, and he shut down lefties pretty well last year. There's a respectable chance he enjoys a solid career in the bullpen.

Agreed. He's getting pretty underrated around here. I'm sure i'm in the extreme minority, but for $1 mil, I definitely would've brought him back. At the end of the day, he's a lefty with nasty stuff and has shown he's useful out of the bullpen. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he has a good year with Cincy.

I've felt that Parra was extremely overrated/overhyped by a big chunk of the fanbase since he came to Milwaukee. Simply put, the guy is lefty and throws hard- that's it. He always looked like a poor man's DeLaRosa to me. Now, he has lots of haters due to those expectations that weren't very realistic in the first place. All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if he is able to put together a decent season out of the pen. He's one of those guys who seems to have a fragile mindset that may be improved by a change of scenery. All that I can say is thank goodness he didn't go to the Cardinals... he'd probably have been starting the All-Star game this summer.

Lowest pitching WAR, MLB History

-5.4 Kevin Jarvis

-5.4 Mike Kekich

-5.0 Jerry Stephenson

-5.0 Ray Harrell

-4.9 Brian Williams

-4.8 Randy Lerch

-4.8 Vic Frazier

-4.5 Dan McGinn

-4.4 Jack Hamilton

-4.4 Wade Blasingame

-4.3 Herman Besse

-4.0 Jo-Jo Reyes

-3.9 Tom Fisher

-3.9 Jim Bullinger

-3.9 Frank LaCorte

-3.9 John Van Benschoten

-3.9 Andy Larkin

-3.8 George Boehler

-3.8 Manny Parra

-3.8 Jimmy Jones

But he threw a perfect game in the minors! Lets still hold out hope, maybe give him 100-200 more starts and see what we have with him. I mean Yuni probably walked 3 times in a Cuban game once

Wade Blasingame is a significant name in Milwaukee baseball history. In the "lame duck" season of 1965, the Braves had a terrific offensive club and a shot to win the NL, which would have made for quite the interesting World Series. They had 3 pitchers they rode heavily to stay right in the thick of the race through August. One was Tony Cloninger who won 24 games that year. Another was Ken Johnson who they got in a deal with Houston, and the other was young Wade Blasingame. When I say young, back in those days, young was young. Blasingame was just 21 that year. He had come up as a 20 year old in 1964. For a while in July and early August, it seemed any time one of those 3 started, it was a sure Brave win.

Unfortunately, the lack of depth and innings started to catch up with the staff down the stretch particularly Blasingame. Imagine a 21 year old today logging 36 starts and 224 innings? Management which spent the season in Atlanta, made no effort to fortify the rotation late. The last thing they wanted was for the nation to see the Braves in their final season in Milwaukee playing in the showcase that back then was the World Series, and their ownership so hated that they dare not set foot in Wisconsin. So Blasingame kept being thrown out there, to the detriment likely of the remainder of his career, when he was never the same.

Archived