Brewer Fanatic

Journalist Speculation -- Red Sox to target Gallardo via trade

All sounds good monty57, but that would be completely out of character for Melvin, who's history suggests he'll wait until the final years of contracts to trade productive players as in Carlos Lee, and Greinke, or even wait and take the picks. Melvin didn't even flinch when there was talk about a Daniel Hudson and/or Gordon Beckham offer for Fielder in 2010, a year the Brewers were well out of it. Should Gallardo stay healthy and productive through 2015, he'll most certainly get a QO from Brewers and hence at least bring back a pick. East Coast writers suggesting that Gallardo is available need to take a closer look at how Melvin operates.

I don't recall Beckham being involved in the Prince trade talks, but Melvin was actively shopping Prince that off-season, he simply couldn't find takers at the price he thought he was worth. So it wasn't a lack of interest on Melvin's part, it was a lack of interest in Prince at the time. And then of course they went and traded for two good pitchers and went for it and won 96 games.

I love Yo, but he's not the type of guy that I think you can win in the post-season with as your #1 type pitcher and the Brewers seem to be slowly declining, age is becoming an issue at many positions, and our farm system is barren.

The only guys I wouldn't consider trading at this point are Braun and Segura. Other than that, and especially if we're well out of it by the trade deadline, I'd be willing to trade anyone else(aside of course from the rookies and young arms).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I really wish we would've just taken Matt Barnes in the draft when we took Jungmann and Bradley.

In any case, I would make Nate82's deal immediately. This team is going nowhere as presently constituted. Could they win 85-87 games? Probably. But i don't see them making any noise in the playoffs with the complete lack of starting pitching.

Community Moderator
I really wish we would've just taken Matt Barnes in the draft when we took Jungmann and Bradley.

The Brewers could have drafted Jose Fernandez and Matt Barnes in the 2011 first round. Easy to say in hindsight obviously, but amazing to think about what the future would look like if they had made those two picks.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I like that we have to rebound from an 83-win season. Seriously, with game results being slightly different, we could have been an 87 win team. I don't think of rebuilding unless we only win 70-75 games. It shows our progress

The Brewers could have drafted Jose Fernandez and Matt Barnes in the 2011 first round. Easy to say in hindsight obviously, but amazing to think about what the future would look like if they had made those two picks.

probably the same as now, with those pitchers probably being mis-managed and sitting in AA ball right now

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

probably the same as now, with those pitchers probably being mis-managed and sitting in AA ball right now

Are you suggesting that Jungmann and Bradley should be in the majors at this moment?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Yeah, forgot about Fernandez too. I actually was really rooting for Barnes at the time, but only because I had actually seen Jungmann and Barnes pitch and thought Barnes had far better stuff. I liked the Bradley pick though, just because his ceiling was/is so high. I hated the Jungmann pick because he's such a low-ceiling guy.

Fernandez wasn't on my radar at the time at all, but I'd sure love to have him now.

Are you suggesting that Jungmann and Bradley should be in the majors at this moment?

what im suggesting is that theres no way to say any player will develop and rise through the minors the same in one franchise from another. to think that had the brewers drafted Fernandez and Barnes, and that they'd have the same success/training/advancement in the minors is pretty insane.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

n

what im suggesting is that theres no way to say any player will develop and rise through the minors the same in one franchise from another. to think that had the brewers drafted Fernandez and Barnes, and that they'd have the same success/training/advancement in the minors is pretty insane.

While I agree, I certainly think that anyone who had seen Barnes would agree his ceiling was way higher than Jungmann's. There were certainly problems with Barnes, but the ceiling was way higher. The floor was also quite a bit lower, which led to Jungmann's selection I would think.

In no way was I suggesting all experiences, training, injury risk, and professional advancement are the same among different organizations, but I don't think it is insane to expect that a guy like Fernandez would maintain his top prospect status in other organizations. It became apparent fairly quickly after Fernandez was drafted that he was an elite pitcher. Also, if the lone reason he has been successful and has developed a plus-plus fastball with plus breaking pitches is because he is in the Marlins organization and not the Brewers organization then something is seriously broke in the player development department. Conversely, if Jungmann were currently in the Marlins organization I have a hard time believing he would be on the path toward becoming a future ace right now.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If the Brewers trade Yo, that's the sign that rebuilding is under way. In that case, you move Weeks, A-Ram and Hart as well. You'd go for high upside prospects, which we sorely lack, and target 2015 or 2016 as a possible year to be relevant again.

In all honesty, if the team made such a move, they should consider trading Aoki and Gomez as well.

I don't think they'd ever trade Braun. He'd bring a ton back, however. But he's the face of the franchise, and even in 3 years, should still be a good player.

I'm not saying we do this. I'm just saying that if we tank 2013 really badly and start considering the future realistically, the team could consider dealing Yo. That would start the chips falling and rebuilding would be underway.

But I doubt the our owner and GM would blow up this team. It would take a major collapse for it to happen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Regarding the Boston media - I don't see a problem with them speculating about Gallardo or anyone else. Look at the Red Sox the last few years:

Signed Carl Crawford

Signed Shane Victorino

Traded for Andrew Bailey

Traded for Joel Hanrahan

Signed Ryan Dempster

Signed John Lackey

Trade for Adrian Gonzalez

And those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. They have the money to do stuff that Milwaukee doesn't. Quite a few of these moves are salary dumps from small market teams. And Boston has a well regarded minor league system - so I'd probably be speculating if I covered the team as well.

PS - this list is a good testament as to why to avoid big dollar free agents

If the Brewers trade Yo, that's the sign that rebuilding is under way. In that case, you move Weeks, A-Ram and Hart as well. You'd go for high upside prospects, which we sorely lack, and target 2015 or 2016 as a possible year to be relevant again.

In all honesty, if the team made such a move, they should consider trading Aoki and Gomez as well.

I don't think they'd ever trade Braun. He'd bring a ton back, however. But he's the face of the franchise, and even in 3 years, should still be a good player.

I'm not saying we do this. I'm just saying that if we tank 2013 really badly and start considering the future realistically, the team could consider dealing Yo. That would start the chips falling and rebuilding would be underway.

But I doubt the our owner and GM would blow up this team. It would take a major collapse for it to happen.

Kind of depends on what they'd get in return. There are a lot of scenarios that wouldn't be a "blow up" in which we could trade some talent and still be competitive. Since this is a thread about Gallardo, I'll look at him. With Gallardo's ability and remaining team control, I'm sure a team would give up some major talent for him, including a package built around an "elite" MLB-ready SP prospect. We've got a lot of pitching prospects who will become MLB starters & relievers, but are missing that "ace potential" guy. Gallardo is one of our two (Braun) pieces who could probably bring in an elite pitching prospect.

I don't know that any of these teams would match up, but if we could get a Bundy/Cole/Skaggs/Taillon type prospect, we could have a decent rotation next year with Lohse, Estrada, Peralta, {top prospect}, {one of the many decent prospects we have}. Depending on how everyone progresses, that's not a bad rotation.

I agree that Attanasio will have to be pretty hard pressed to "blow up" the roster, but I think he could be convinced to make a couple of trades that bring back MLB-ready talent.

As negative as I may have seemed recently towards the future of the franchise, I don't think a bad future is imminent. I think that a couple of good trades would go a long way towards keeping us relevant on the MLB level, while getting us some good, young talent playing for league minimum... something we're sorely lacking.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived