Brewer Fanatic

Alex Gonzalez re-signs with Brewers

PrinceEatMeat

Alex Gonzalez career OPS: 691

Craig Counsell career OPS: 686

The hysteria on this topic is, well, hysterical. Sea Bass re-signed with the team because no one else wanted him. So we are taking one year on a 36 year old guy and letting Bianchi and/or Green go. Which means 2014 the Brewers will need to the 2014 version of Gonzalez/Counsell because once again they have failed to develop a solid young utility infielder.

This is not a move for celebration. It's a move for mediocrity.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hysteria on this topic is, well, hysterical. Sea Bass re-signed with the team because no one else wanted him. So we are taking one year on a 36 year old guy and letting Bianchi and/or Green go. Which means 2014 the Brewers will need to the 2014 version of Gonzalez/Counsell because once again they have failed to develop a solid young utility infielder.

What do you honestly expect to get from a utility shortstop? He can hit for power and he can play at least respectable defense. That's good enough for me for a guy off the bench.

Green will still make the team, I think. Bianchi was DFA'ed by the Royals just a year ago. It's not like giving up on him would be giving up on some hotshot SS prospect.

What do you honestly expect to get from a utility shortstop? He can hit for power and he can play at least respectable defense. That's good enough for me for a guy off the bench.

Green will still make the team, I think. Bianchi was DFA'ed by the Royals just a year ago. It's not like giving up on him would be giving up on some hotshot SS prospect.

didn't we get him from the cubs? anyway he did nothing for me last year to convince me he is worth keeping around. I like the idea of having a veteran around that has some pop to come off of the bench or fill in for segura if he struggles rather than keep a 26 year old that has bounced around the last few years. most teams don't have a decent IF prospect on their bench as they are playing fulltime in triple A instead of sitting on the bench in the bigs.

it'd be great if the pending deal for gonzalez was a minor league deal with a huge buyout if he's not added to the 40-man roster 10 days before the season starts. this would allow the brewers to keep him off the 40-man until injured players could be put on the 60-day disabled list.

the huge buyout would assure gonzalez that the brewers plan on having him make the 25-man roster--the brewers wouldn't want to waste millions on a bench player who never plays for them.

Jeff Bianchi career OPS: 578

The love affair over Jeff Bianchi is, well, hysterical. Giving a bench spot to a guy like that would be a move for mediocrity. :laughing

@WiscoSportsNut

Brendan Ryan

Dee Gordon

Cliff Pennington

Cliff Barmes

Brian Dozier

Marwin Gonzalez

Sean Rodriguez

Josh Harrison

Maicer Izturis

Yunel Escobar

Everth Cabrera

That is the list of guys with a sub .650 OPS who played at least 200 PA at MI last year. There are another 15 that were sub .700 and that is just sorting by primary position SS, it doesn't tab some of the more pure 2B. I'm not going to complain about someone with a career .686 or .691 OPS who plays SS as our backup. Gonzalez is a little long in the tooth but the guys he replaced are nothing special either so not some big deal.

Love the signing, but I can't shake the nagging fear that Roenicke is going to turn this into a "platoon" type situation or even have Segura on the bench most of the time.

Maybe if we had a veteran staff. But with all the young pitchers getting their shot this year, I don't know why Segura wouldn't be given a more than fair shot at SS this year.

Padres claim FDLS, too bad.

At least MDLS (Miguel) is still on the 40-man, would have hated to see a power lefty arm lost with an option remaining. (Yes, Miguel is out until July with a shoulder issue.)

Fautino was a longshot with no options remaining, but it would have been nice to sneak him through to AAA.

Exactly, which pretty much describes Bianchi, except he's younger and may have upside. So we spend another million on Sea Bass, and waiver out a young reliever who put up pretty good numbers in his minor league career (3.5K:BB ratio). And next year Doug will be looking for a 30 something utility ss.

This move doesn't cost the pennant or break the bank. Sea Bass is nice player who's had a fine career. It just doesn't seem necessary, and looks like a weak kneed, backpedaling move. The net effect could be two youngish, talented players with potential are out of the organization in favor of a one year rental for an aging vet who was injured all last year.

Found this tidbit today:

Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said Saturday that he wants Alex Gonzalez to get some work in at first base, potentially serving as the backup to Mat Gamel there until Corey Hart is ready to return from the DL.

In his 14-year career, Gonzalez has played exclusively at shortstop, but could be able to make the transition defensively. It would also be a way to get his powerful bat in the lineup more often, especially against tough left-handers.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

I'm not a fan of trying to find ways to get his "powerful" bat into the line-up more often. Is it wise to take a guy who has played only SS his entire 14 year career, and try to have him learn a new position? It is one thing if his "powerful" bat really provided a lot of pop on a consistent basis, but I'm not sure getting him work at 1B is going to help our offense much.

I sure hope Gamel starts out hot, or we could see a lot of Gonzalez at 1B as our gritty veteran presence...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I really don't see a problem with getting Gonzalez time at 1st during spring training. First of all: If he is going to be that "gritty veteran bench player" this year, then a RH 1B is probably necessary at some point. Second of all: it's spring training. Now is the time to get him some reps and see how he handles it. 3rd of all: The Brewers haven't been able to find a RH bench bat with "some pop" (notice I put that in quotes) to relieve Gamel occasionally at 1st, and without Hart, Gamel WILL need a few days off. So while it is not ideal, I believe that they have to keep their options open. If Gonzalez is going to make the team, he's going to have to fill in at other positions than SS (Especially if they really want to give Segura a fair shake). Flexibility is not a bad thing. (However with this manager you never know ;) )

Also: I believe that "powerful bat" part was the writer's touch, not a quote from RRR.

Could this also mean that Roenicke has it in his head to use Gonzalez very little at SS? Hopefully? I actually rather like Gonzalez but I want Segura to get every bit of playing time possible.

As far as Gonzalez making the transition to 1b goes, how tough can it be to go from the most demanding defensive position on the field to the least demanding? Or am I, as is so often the case, missing something here?

I saw this as a positive. I think it means he sees him being a true utility infielder. If he can play all four spots he's much more valuable. I think for a guy like him, 3rd and 2nd will be more natural where as 1b he will need to learn the footwork. By having him do that in spring training they can see if he can handle it. Doesn't hurt at all. I like it.

I'm not against him playing 1B all together, and don't view that happening as a negative as long as it isn't very often... I am against him playing 1B at the expense of Gamel not getting his ABs in before Hart returns. Our manager just worries me everytime he has to make a decision like the one he will have when filling out the daily line-up card. Gamel needs to play 6 days a week if not every game until Hart gets back, with an off day every once in a while. I'm afraid that our manager might try and get creative and play Gonzalez at 1B more often than he should, which is most of the time he will be playing 1B.

Alex Gonzalez at 1st is an awful, awful decision. His career triple slash of .247/.292/.399 doesn't play there, even as a backup. For comparisons sake, Lyle Overbay, who was washed up last year, hit .259/.331/.397 just last year. As for the platoon advantage, there isn't any. Alex Gonzalez has a wOBA of .302 vs .305 vs RHP/LHP for his career.

I'd get him a 1st base glove for a late inning double switch or emergency situation, but if he gets 1 start a week, it's too many.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

He bats right handed. Bat him against leftie starters and in late inning pinch hit spots for Gamel. His glove makes him a great late inning replacement.

No way he should be a late inning pinch hitter for Gamel. Gonzalez is a good hitter for a SS or maybe a catcher but that's it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Gonzalez isn't any better against LHP than he is against RHP though. In Mat Gamel's small sample size where he's failed pretty hard at the MLB level, he's actually been better against LHP than Alex Gonzalez has for his career. Another thing - why can't Gamel play every day? Unless there is some evidence that his knee is weak 1 year after surgery, there is no reason a 27 year old can't play 1st base every day.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Gonzalez has had a number of years where's he's slugged well over .400. His low OBP isn't as big an issue down in the order. I'm all for him getting some AB's while not taking time away from Segura. He's also a nice option at 2B if Weeks starts out this year like he did last year. I would imagine Bianchi and Green will play multiple positions this spring including perhaps the OF in the battle for the 2nd utility job too.

Has he ever played 2B in his career? I wouldn't view a guy who has never played the position as a nice option.

I'm just not a fan of taking a 14 year vet, who has only played one position his entire career, and switching him into 2 or 3 other positions. If we are that bad off that we can't field back-up players at those positions with previous experience, we might be in trouble.

I am not a fan of giving regular players a lot of days off, I fear our manager might do just that. Gamel sitting 1 or 2 days a week so Gonzalez can play 1B and get on the field is a bad idea in my opinion. Giving Weeks a day off a week so Gonzalez can play 2B just to get him into the line up doesn't make sense. I also don't want Segura to get a day off a week either. It could end up that Gonzalez is playing 3 different positions a week just to get him at bats, at the expense of the regulars.

I'm just not keen on that idea.

Just to be clear, I don't care where they have him play in Spring training, give him a mask and catcher's gear for all I care, but once the regular season starts, I don't want him all over the infield just to get him game action.

Can't be beef'd with Roenicke. Doug Melvin hasn't given Roenicke another option. Currently, there's no right-hander on the roster bubble that has any experience at first base. Of course Gonzalez doesn't profile as a first baseman. At all. But that's not the point. There was an injury, and Melvin has yet to respond with a more typical replacement, so this is the result.

I think it makes plenty of sense; there is no doubt Gonzalez can pick up the position quickly, in my mind. Without bringing in another first baseman who would likely be cut/sent down when Hart returns, they can carry a 13-man pitching staff through the opening month as starter's arms are still stretching out. Gonzalez starts maybe once a week against, presumably, left-handed pitching. The 25-30 PA he makes as a starter isn't going to have a catastrophic effect on the value the Brewers get from 1B this season.

Has he ever played 2B in his career? I wouldn't view a guy who has never played the position as a nice option.

I'm just not a fan of taking a 14 year vet, who has only played one position his entire career, and switching him into 2 or 3 other positions. If we are that bad off that we can't field back-up players at those positions with previous experience, we might be in trouble.

I am not a fan of giving regular players a lot of days off, I fear our manager might do just that. Gamel sitting 1 or 2 days a week so Gonzalez can play 1B and get on the field is a bad idea in my opinion. Giving Weeks a day off a week so Gonzalez can play 2B just to get him into the line up doesn't make sense. I also don't want Segura to get a day off a week either. It could end up that Gonzalez is playing 3 different positions a week just to get him at bats, at the expense of the regulars.

I'm just not keen on that idea.

Just to be clear, I don't care where they have him play in Spring training, give him a mask and catcher's gear for all I care, but once the regular season starts, I don't want him all over the infield just to get him game action.

Agree with most of this. The day-to-day lineup should be set based on the starters, not based on getting playing time for the bench players. When starters need a day off, then take the best option from the bench to start for that day.

As to Gonzalez playing other positions, I guess we have to see how he adapts. I don't like the notion of throwing players all over the field, but some players are able to do it. If he is a "natural defender" who plays well wherever he's positioned, then fine. But if he's only comfortable at SS, and not 2B/3B, then Green should be on the roster as the backup 1B/2B/3B. Either way, they shouldn't sit Weeks and Ramirez simply to get PAs for Gonzalez.

I really hope Roenicke doesn't get into the habit of pinch-hitting an inferior bench player simply because he hits right-handed and has "some pop." Gamel is a hitter for whom they've tried finding a defensive position. Gonzalez is a defensive guy who hits okay for his position. Don't do it Roenicke!

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived