Brewer Fanatic

Alex Gonzalez re-signs with Brewers

PrinceEatMeat

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: #Brewers sign free-agent SS Alex Gonzalez.

Gonzalez agreed to a one-year, major-league deal with the #Brewers, source says.

Alex Gonzalez gets $1.5M from #Brewers plus the chance to earn nearly $1 million in performance bonuses.

Love the move. He'll be very valuable off the bench for us.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Source: #Brewers sign free-agent SS Alex Gonzalez.

Gonzalez agreed to a one-year, major-league deal with the #Brewers, source says.

Alex Gonzalez gets $1.5M from #Brewers plus the chance to earn nearly $1 million in performance bonuses.

Love the move. He'll be very valuable off the bench for us.

I agree I love this move as well!! Awesome addition to our bench!! Now Doug just needs to find a RH 1B and we'll be set!

This is ironic as just two days ago, I was at a charity event that involved a small silent auction and a raffle for various items. One of the raffle items included an oil change, plus signed baseballs from "Randy Wells" (which evidently is how they read Randy Wolf's signature) and Alex Gonzalez (whose ball they had placed in its holder upside down). I couldn't do anything but shake my head and mention to my wife that on top of all that, they had items from two players who weren't even on our team anymore, unless of course the Brewers re-signed Gonzalez. Two days later, boom, here we go.

I love this move but I see good and bad in it.

The good: Gonzalez will be an excellent backup for SS. Good glove, still has some pop and is a better option than Bianchi for 2013. He's great insurance in the event Segura struggles. HOWEVER...

The bad: Will RR be tempted to play him and relegate Segura to the bench?

Great signing but definitely makes a little nervous because I want to see Segura play everyday.

Excellent move. Outstanding getting him back.

EDIT: In response to WTP's post above mine regarding RR's potential tendencies to sit Segura in favor of Gonzalez....I don't think there is anything to worry about. Earlier in FA, Melvin originally spoke directly to that situation. He said Segura is their guy, period, and let Alex Gonzalez and his camp know that. They were upfront with him about how many AB's he would/wouldn't be getting, as Segura is the starter.

Waiting for sheetskout's reaction. :)

Love this move. I'm happy for the Brewers' sake, but kind of a bummer for Gonzalez that no other team wanted him to start at SS. I think he's still good enough to do so, and in that sense is a wonderfully affordable luxury for us.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Love this move. I'm happy for the Brewers' sake, but kind of a bummer for Gonzalez that no other team wanted him to start at SS. I think he's still good enough to do so, and in that sense is a wonderfully affordable luxury for us.

Couldn't agree more with every thought here. On one hand, I am more than a little surprised there is no starting market for Gonzalez, but on the other hand I couldn't be more thrilled to have him back. This is such an underrated yet super solid move, and one that is indeed a luxury when everything is taken into proper context.

Do you think Jeff Bianchi passes through waivers? Not that I think it would be a huge hit to lose him, but he's nice depth to have in case of injury.

I think most teams have a couple Jeff Bianchis on their roster already, so while there are scenarios where he could easily be claimed (he may go to a team that has roster space, an injury situation, or a purely crappy roster of middle IFs), it's not like he's a guy in overly high demand. Plus he'll be out of MLB camp for a while playing in the WBC, which doesn't help his odds, I wouldn't think.

Bianchi's out of options, he's not going to make the team with Gonzo on board, may as well DFA him once Alex's signing is finalized and try and get him re-signed on a minor league deal, like they did with Arcenio Leon recently.

(Since Bianchi has over seven years of big league time, he could opt for free agency -- I believe.)

Bianchi's out of options, he's not going to make the team with Gonzo on board, may as well DFA him once Alex's signing is finalized and try and get him re-signed on a minor league deal, like they did with Arcenio Leon recently.

(Since Bianchi has over seven years of big league time, he could opt for free agency -- I believe.)

Why can't we carry two middle IF's? Not like that's unheard of.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

...I was at a charity event that involved a small silent auction and a raffle for various items. One of the raffle items included an oil change, plus signed baseballs from "Randy Wells" (which evidently is how they read Randy Wolf's signature)...

This was marketed as a Brewers package and someone couldn't put it together enough to remember that Randy Wolf has been a Brewer and Randy Wells has not? Sheesh.

Anyway, Sea Bass Part Deux. I'm game for that.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

EDIT: In response to WTP's post above mine regarding RR's potential tendencies to sit Segura in favor of Gonzalez....I don't think there is anything to worry about. Earlier in FA, Melvin originally spoke directly to that situation. He said Segura is their guy, period, and let Alex Gonzalez and his camp know that. They were upfront with him about how many AB's he would/wouldn't be getting, as Segura is the starter.

I hope this is correct. Melvin seems to be pretty "hands off" when it comes to who's starting and who's sitting, and Roenicke (like many managers) seems to have an affinity for veterans. I don't really want Segura to play with the concern that one slump or screw-up will land him on the bench.

Other than sharing WTP's concerns over what RRR may do with SS throughout the season, I think picking up Gonzalez for $1.5MM as a bench player is a good deal and should help the 2013 Brewers without hurting the 2014+ Brewers at all.

As to the final bench spot, Bianchi will probably be in the running, but his ability to play SS won't give him as much of an edge over someone like T. Green as it did prior to this signing. With Hart hurt, it opens up a spot, so he could make the club out of ST allowing the club more time (until Hart is hurt) to decide what to do. Having another MLB-caliber SS in the system isn't a bad thing. That said, the best bet still may be to sign a RH 1B/corner OF like Juan Rivera to platoon at 1B while Hart's out and be the backup corner OF when Hart returns (there's another thread dedicated to this, so I don't want to hijack this thread discussing this).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I like the move but as already said, I don't want to see Segura play less. Like when it's May 15th and he is betting .200 and Gonzo .300 and all the fans are calling for the switch, what will RRR do?

Also in April/May, Ramirez can have an extra day off with Gonzo on the corner.

Archived