Brewer Fanatic

2013 John Sickels farm system rankings (MinorLeagueBall.com)

ewitkows

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/1/28/3925786/2013-baseball-farm-system-rankings

23) Milwaukee Brewers (28): Strengths: Lots of B-/C+ types and potential role players which every team needs. A couple of nice pitchers at the top and ready to help with Wily Peralta, Tyler Thornburg. Weaknesses: impact talent, especially on the hitting side, although the 2012 draft could change that quickly if Victor Roache and Clint Coulter produce as expected. Not an elite system but not empty, and could look a lot better a year from now.

I think we should be a few spots higher but I think we could be in for a big jump if a couple of our pitchers turn out like I hope they will.

The Brewers have done a nice job of building up some depth but I'd really like to see them focus of high ceiling talent in the next two drafts. I'd also like to see them draft a little more for need as they have a ton of outfielder prospects and hardly any decent infielders.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Brewers have done a nice job of building up some depth but I'd really like to see them focus of high ceiling talent in the next two drafts. I'd also like to see them draft a little more for need as they have a ton of outfielder prospects and hardly any decent infielders.

I think drafting for need in baseball, more so than any other sport, is a recipe for disaster. Given the amount of time it takes to develop most players and the high flameout rate amongst all players drafted, you have to take best player available.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think drafting for need in baseball, more so than any other sport, is a recipe for disaster

I agree and I don't mean to imply that the Brewers should take the best third basemen available when they pick. That being said, when get to pick 150 is there really that big of a difference between the guy you rank 150 and the guys you rank 151 or 152? If the best player available is an outfielder but the next best guy is a catcher, shortstop, or third basemen I don't think you necessarily need to stick to best player available and can instead choose the guy who plays a position you have no decent prospects at.

Last draft I hated how they picked Mitch Haniger with Joey Gallo still on the board. I'm not predicting Gallo is going to be an perennial allstar or anything but he would have immediately been our top third base prospect, by far. Instead you take yet another corner outfielder after having already picked a corner outfielder a few picks prior.

Given how Weeks can be such an impact 2b (and the Brewers are unlikely to move him to the OF), I would entertain offers on Gennett over the next few years. As for Morris, I'm still not sold. I like seeing 2 good seasons before getting too excited. I was burned a bit too much by guys like Festa, Richardson, etc.

I'm not trying to suggest we should be motivated to move him. He's still very raw from everything we read, and it's arguable whether he'll be more than Jeff Pickler. But if a team were enamored with him, I'd have no problem moving him in a trade. I like building depth and letting is sit at AAA. Some say that it's rotting there, I like to think of it as we're utilizing the rules to stockpile depth.

If he were in another team's system, we likely wouldn't even know about him.

We wouldn't know about him, but if you don't have front office personnel monitoring other team's prospects and who might be available in trades due to being blocked, you should be fired.

I'm not sold on Gennett as an MLB player, but I'm certain prospect status and MiLB level are high enough that every other front office knows about him.

If he were in another team's system, we likely wouldn't even know about him.

We wouldn't know about him, but if you don't have front office personnel monitoring other team's prospects and who might be available in trades due to being blocked, you should be fired.

I'm not sold on Gennett as an MLB player, but I'm certain he is high enough profile and MiLB level that every other front office knows about him.

I'm sure that's true, as that is their role.

However, my larger point is that I don't believe any teams will be lining up to make trade offers for a player like Gennett. I don't think there will be offers to entertain. He's an interesting player to us as fans, because you can count the number of big bats in our system on one hand.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Gennett might be a throw-in in a bigger trade, or could be involved in a trade like the Komatsu-for-Hairston trade, but if Melvin told every GM that Gennett was available right now, I don't think his phone would be ringing off the hook.

The Brewers are probably better off holding onto him, as he's one of the very few position prospects the Brewers have who even make the list of "possible MLB role-player." I'm interested to see how the Brewers' pitchers develop, but I think the ranking is about right. The Brewers certainly can't rely on their current system to keep them competitive into the future.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think drafting for need in baseball, more so than any other sport, is a recipe for disaster

I agree and I don't mean to imply that the Brewers should take the best third basemen available when they pick. That being said, when get to pick 150 is there really that big of a difference between the guy you rank 150 and the guys you rank 151 or 152? If the best player available is an outfielder but the next best guy is a catcher, shortstop, or third basemen I don't think you necessarily need to stick to best player available and can instead choose the guy who plays a position you have no decent prospects at.

Last draft I hated how they picked Mitch Haniger with Joey Gallo still on the board. I'm not predicting Gallo is going to be an perennial allstar or anything but he would have immediately been our top third base prospect, by far. Instead you take yet another corner outfielder after having already picked a corner outfielder a few picks prior.

Ah, I see what you're saying.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived