Brewer Fanatic

Brewers still active; Lohse/Backup MI/backup 1b

yoshii8

It sounds like the Brewers are very much in the mix for Lohse. For the right price, I think it could be a decent signing. Somewhere like 2 years 16 million would be ok with me. I've heard a lot of people say he's terrible, but he's had two pretty good seasons the last 2 years.

Also, Melvin mentioned that they are in talks w/ a specific first baseman to backup Gamel while Hart's out. Who are your guesses? El Caballo, Thome, Abreu, Giambi, Juan Rivera, Kotchmann, Huff, Nick Johnson, Hafner and Overbay are all still available. I wouldn't mind any of these guys on a minor league deal w/ an invite to ST, but Thome or Giambi wouldn't be a bad signing on a major league deal.

And finally, it was also mentioned that they are still eyeing some backup middle infielders and that Alex Gonzalez is still in play. It would be nice to have a guy of Alex Gonzalez's caliber to backup SS, 3B and maybe even 2b. Who are some other options?

I'd like to hear others opinions on what you think the Brewers will do, and what you hope they do in regards to these three categories.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't want Lohse. I might be willing to try him without the draft pick compensation on a short term deal, but he strikes me as a fall of the table candidate and we'd be giving up a 1st round pick when we need to continue to re-build the farm system. While I could see him being better than Peralta, Fiers, Rogers, Estrada, I don't think he will be substantially better to warrant losing a 1st round pick.

As for a backup 1B, I would love to see Carlos Lee in that role. We will need some RH PH thunder once Hart returns from the DL. I would want Gamel to still be the backup at 1B/RF/LF and my fear would be RR playing Lee over Gamel, but having pop from the right side in the form of EL Caballo would be nice.

I agree with others, positively not on Lohse at any price.

As for 1B, I don't necessarily have a preference there, but I will say Jim Thome isn't the guy, for several reasons. Not the least of which is that he's got nothing left in the tank and the Phils were doing him a favor by getting him to an AL team last year. He's done.

Lee would be fine, if he's willing to take a backup role...though when Hart returns, he'd basically never get to play. Overbay doesn't make much sense...I assume if we want a backup for Gamel, we'll want someone that hits right handed.

I wouldn't take Lohse for free if it means losing a draft pick. At this point, Lohse most likely is not that missing piece so the draft pick is way more valuable than him. I will be extremely upset if Melvin & Co. pull off another short-sighted move like this again. Start planning for the future, not just year to year!
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I wouldn't take Lohse for free if it means losing a draft pick. At this point, Lohse most likely is not that missing piece so the draft pick is way more valuable than him. I will be extremely upset if Melvin & Co. pull off another short-sighted move like this again. Start planning for the future, not just year to year!

Agreed. It'd be one thing if they were getting a superstar player but Lohse is likely to only add a win or two to the team. It would be nice if there were multiple levels of qualifying offers, such as:

$10M = 3rd rounder

$15M = 2nd rounder

$20M = 1st rounder

I really like the idea of signing Alex Gonzalez and another backup 1B. I think I'd lean more towards a RH bat that can play 1st like Juan Rivera or Carlos Lee over another lefty bat like Lyle Overbay. Between Gamel, Green and even Morris we have enough LH bats to cover at 1st but could use a platoon partner for em. I just can't imagine Carlos Lee taking a small enough contract to play here which makes Rivera much more likely.

Gonzalez would fit in nicely as the backup to both Weeks and Segura. I just wonder who would play 2B on the days Weeks takes off? Gonzalez has such a great reputation defensively at SS that you have to figure he would be the better option on those days but would starting Segura a few times at 2B stunt his growth defensively? Either way it's a great problem to have.

@WiscoSportsNut

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Lohse is 34, so it's unlikely he's going to get better. He's been uneven in his playing career (but quite good the last couple of years). Even last year, you dig into his numbers and it hints he wasn't as good as he seemed. His ERA was 2.86, but his FIP was 3.51 and his xFIP was 3.96. He had a LOB% of 77.2, his best ever. His BABIP was .262 - while his career is .297. None of these are bad things, but it makes him an ideal candidate to regress next year.

Oh yes, and he costs a draft pick. More and more we are going to have to rely on young, inexpensive talent.

Also, our team is not a sure fire thing in 2013. We have a lot of questions. It's not as if we are one guy away from being automatic contenders. It all just doesn't add up.

Finally, he was a Cardinal. I hate the Cardinals. He could catch ex-Cardinal curse and be the next Suppan/Looper (okay, maybe not that bad).

I'd rather save the money, and if we are looking like we could make the playoffs during the season, spend the cash to bolster the roster as needed.

As most here, I'm against a Lohse signing.

Rivera would be a good pickup, as he played a lot of corner OF for the Dodgers last year, so he could play some 1B while Hart's out and be a RH-bat off the bench/backup corner OF, or possibly even platoon with Aoki once Hart's back.

The question would be whether he's open to a back-up role, when there's probably some team willing to give him a shot at starting (or at least a lot more PT than he'd get with the Brwers) at either 1B, LF or RF.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

My take on the Lohse situation is that Boras is starting to panic. He can't find a taker at his price and it's getting late. So he's going over Melvin's head and trying to drum up interest from Attanasio. I can't imagine any interest on the Brewers side unless it's a one year deal with a fairly modest base and some incentives including a promise not to give a qualifying offer next year.

Maybe if Boras could promise that the Brewers could sign one of his highly-ranked draft picks in the second round for slot money, it'd be worth giving up the 1st round pick. Since that's not happening, I'd prefer the Brewers stick with what they have at starting pitcher, and keep their draft pick.

This is all probably being way overdone, as Attanasio's statement was something like "We haven't completely ruled him out... we haven't completely ruled anything out." That's kind of like the scene in Bull Durham about how to answer questions without offending anyone. If the follow-up question was "Are the Brewers bringing Hank Aaron back?" Attanasio could've responded "People of Milwaukee love Hank, and we haven't ruled out bringing him back."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The whole MLBTR wasn't linking Lohse to Milwaukee. It was saying of the FA players on Starks list the Brewers are likely talking to a few of them via a Haurdicourt response. Alex Gonzalez,Ryan Theriot,Brandon Inge, and Casey Kotchman would be whom Haurdicourt is suggesting via a 1b/MI need.

Nobody will sign Lohse. I'd take any of the 1st rd pitchers picked in this years draft and insert them on the team upon signing and expect what I expect from Lohse! Lohse's history says he's more likely to pitch above 6era than he is below 4.5era. For one, to give up a pick would be disgusting. Two for Milw to give up a pick that allows another pick to Stl who already destroys our farm system,...I mean, Stop IT already! with a Lohse signing! Excuse me while I go bash my head against the wall to get that thought out of my head...AGAIN!

According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Brewers are discussing a minor league deal with Lyle Overbay.

Rosenthal says Overbay is also drawing interest from other major league teams and is expected to decide on one soon. He would serve as insurance at first base in Milwaukee behind Mat Gamel, who will be the starter until Corey Hart recovers from knee surgery. Overbay, 36, hit .259/.331/.397 in 131 plate appearances last season between the Diamondbacks and Braves.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If the Brewers sign more of the Cardinals garbage, my head will explode. There is a reason these guys turn to crap when they leave St. Louis... the same reason that the Cardinals have no interest in re-signing them. As for Overbay, I'd be OK with it, but I'd prefer El Caballo or even Huff at this point.

I'd really prefer no other 1b signing. Is Gamel really that bad in their minds? Lucroy incapable of playing 1b time to time when Gamel gets a day off? Or? Is Hart about to be Traded? Because for 30games out to have to find a 1b seems over-reaching and a waste. Just let Gamel get an extended look even vs. tough lefties, so be it. What is the team going to do when Hart returns? I just don't see signing another 1b to spell Gamel what? 5-10games before Hart returns resulting in anything worthwhile for the money. What is the replacement level 1b out there going to provide in that time over just playing Gamel? 1win maybe?

I totally agree . . . I REALLY don't think we need another backup 1B. Middle IF? Sure. I'm in favor of an Alex Gonzalez return. But I really don't want Overbay. I'd rather see Sean Halton factored into the mix in addition to Taylor Green & Hunter Morris.

The 1B talk says more about Hunter Morris than Gamel. Gamel hasn't played baseball on his reconstructed ACL yet so they have no idea if he is a viable option, this screams that they don't think Morris is ready.

As for Lohse I'd take him for just the draft pick in an instant. He is a better pitcher than Looper or Suppan were. I would not tender him a significant contract plus the draft pick though. I mean if he wants to sign for $2M a year for 2 years plus the draft pick I'm on board.

The 1B talk says more about Hunter Morris than Gamel. Gamel hasn't played baseball on his reconstructed ACL yet so they have no idea if he is a viable option, this screams that they don't think Morris is ready.

As for Lohse I'd take him for just the draft pick in an instant. He is a better pitcher than Looper or Suppan were. I would not tender him a significant contract plus the draft pick though. I mean if he wants to sign for $2M a year for 2 years plus the draft pick I'm on board.

This has nothing to do with them not thinking Morris is ready. They just don't wanna blow an option and service time on him for only 2 months, or possibly less. They just want insurance in case Gamel flops, or has a set back, which makes sense. I don't think it's really that necessary, but giving someone a minor league deal really won't affect anything. I think Green could just as easily back-up 1B if need be. I would've been in favor of getting Maldonado some work at 1B, and carrying a 3rd catcher like Kottaras preferably. But that ship has sailed.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived