Brewer Fanatic

Best way for a Brewer fan living out of state to catch every game in HD?

The stache
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, do I have this right? I disconnected Directv after 10 years. Love it, but can't justify 100 bucks a month for the one hour we watch TV a night. But....I am missing baseball. I have AppleTV and live in Wi. so if I subscribe to MLB.tv, Brewer games will be blacked out right?

OK, do I have this right? I disconnected Directv after 10 years. Love it, but can't justify 100 bucks a month for the one hour we watch TV a night. But....I am missing baseball. I have AppleTV and live in Wi. so if I subscribe to MLB.tv, Brewer games will be blacked out right?

Yes, they will be blacked out.

The game will be blacked out while it's in progress. After the game is done, you can watch it. I did that last night with the Rangers/Astros game. I live outside of Dallas, and those are the two teams in my market.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I've been using MLB.tv for about 10 years now. I've always purchased the regular package. This year I decided to buy the premium for $125 and it's great.

Playing the games through my Xbox gives me a MUCH better picture than hooking up my laptop to the TV via HDMI. Not to mention the menu and replay system on Xbox is great. Being able to watch games on my phone is nice too, although I'm not sure how often I'm going to use that feature. One thing that I don't really like is the minute plus delay that comes with Xbox streaming. It prevents me from following the IGT too closely or watching live scoring with my fantasy team.

After 10 years of DirecTV, many with ExtraInnings, we dropped it all in favor of rabbit ears (we get 12 channels for free in hi def!). So we are paying $0 for TV, and doing a free trial of Netflix and Hulu. Plus, we don't watch TV in summer. Only bad thing: no baseball.

My childhood team was the Orioles, but have fallen for the Brewers since moving to Wisconsin and listening to Uecker on the radio 23 years ago. So far this year I've been listening to the Uecker on the radio for Brewer broadcasts, and could pull in an Oriole Twins game Friday on the car radio.

I can watch MLB.tv for $24.99/month on my TV and computer. As a birthday present to myself I am going to sign up tonight. The irony is, I will be able to watch every Oriole game, but Brewer games will be blacked out. I really like this Oriole team and missed most of last year, so I'm excited about being able to watch the O's all year. But I would like Butt Selig to tell me why I shouldn't be able to watch and cheer for the Brewers, my local team, as well. The failure of the Commissioner's office to be reasonable and address this issue with a Modern World Sensibility is inexcusable.

Target Field in Mpls is 135 miles from my door to the front gate. Miller Park is 201 miles from my front door. I will be able to watch every Twins game on MLB.tv, but no Brewers game. How does that build the Brewers' fan base in their market area?

Agreed. Another current topic praises Old man Selig for bringing every game to the masses, but the fact is, you can't watch your favorite local team, but you can watch every game of teams 1500 miles away. How does this build local fan base and team loyalty? How is this good for baseball?

The teams make more money from local deals by giving them exclusive access. The YES network can charge mega bucks by being the only way for NY residents to watch Yankee games. MLB.tv has those Blackout restrictions because all 30 clubs have them already written into their TV deals.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

So, I thought I'd give mlb.tv a try because everyone here thinks it's fantastic and much better than ExtraInnings. I've had it for 3+ days now. I am currently watching the O's-Yankees. It stops and buffers every 30 seconds for about 3-5 seconds. I did a speedtest.net and my download speed is 11.5 mbps. The picture is all right, but there is a lot of stairstepping on the angles and artifacting.

OH, and it doesn't work on my AppleTV. Won't accept my login. I went on the MLB.tv forum and found hundreds of complaints about the service. Most saind NFL and NBA services have no issue, but MLB.tv is horrible. I posted my problems wiht Appletv and MLB.tv and got a response " working on it". Still have no update.

So, why do all think this is awesome. I think it sucks. It's DVR features are inprecise and lock up moments at a time. I understand MLB would oversell the service. I don't understand you'all doing the same. Are kickbacks involved? If so, how do I get some of that? Maybe I could get enough to get DirecTVand Extra Innings and actually be able to watch the Brewers on as well as other baseball games.

So, I thought I'd give mlb.tv a try because everyone here thinks it's fantastic and much better than ExtraInnings. I've had it for 3+ days now. I am currently watching the O's-Yankees. It stops and buffers every 30 seconds for about 3-5 seconds. I did a speedtest.net and my download speed is 11.5 mbps. The picture is all right, but there is a lot of stairstepping on the angles and artifacting.

OH, and it doesn't work on my AppleTV. Won't accept my login. I went on the MLB.tv forum and found hundreds of complaints about the service. Most saind NFL and NBA services have no issue, but MLB.tv is horrible. I posted my problems wiht Appletv and MLB.tv and got a response " working on it". Still have no update.

So, why do all think this is awesome. I think it sucks. It's DVR features are inprecise and lock up moments at a time. I understand MLB would oversell the service. I don't understand you'all doing the same. Are kickbacks involved? If so, how do I get some of that? Maybe I could get enough to get DirecTVand Extra Innings and actually be able to watch the Brewers on as well as other baseball games.

My thought is that it has to be your internet service because I have watched every inning of the Brewers games this year except the weekday day game (I live in Saint Paul) and haven't had one issue. Years ago it used to buffer like your mentioning but that hasn't been an issue in several years Is it possible that other people in your house are watching netflix or doing heavy dowloading as you are trying to watch the game? I have never used the DVR so I can't comment on that. I also can't comment on your apple.tv but I find that most things apple are over-rated.

It's awesome because even with the technical glitches, it allows me to watch my Brewers play (which, granted, is not a real treat right now). And it allows me to watch every baseball game.

I've been having some intermittent "loading" popping up. It happened three times tonight during the Brewers game. I have Verizon FIOS with 55-60 Mbps download speed. I disconnected it from the router, unplugged the power, and plugged it back in, didn't notice any issues after that. But for what I'm paying ($25 a month) on top of the internet, I should have no issues. None. At almost 60 meg, I should have crystal clear picture 99% of the time, and right now, I do not. I catch it going out of high def once in a while, and that's completely unacceptable to me with that kind of connection speed, and on an ethernet cable.

I will research this, or Verizon and/or MLB will feel my wrath.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I also can't comment on your apple.tv but I find that most things apple are over-rated.
Well I certainly agree with you on that. I work in technology and was given the Appltv to take home and try. My response? Meh. when my daughter was home last summer she bought a $35 Sony blu-ray that did a better job streaming Netflix and Hulu. What most of us would call a weakness or bug in a technology, apple fans call a feature.

Thanks for your input. I'll give it the month subscription to keep troubleshooting.

• 1 month later...
okay, I figured it out!!!! For Apple TV, change the setting from Auto picture to some other number (1070/60 works for me). Looks like an awesome picture now.

Which setting?? On tv?

Archived