Brewer Fanatic

Mets don't want to give up 1st round pick

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/mets-like-michael-bourn-working-to-keep-top-pick.html

The Mets want to sign Micheal Bourn but want to keep their first round draft pick so they might ask for an exemption which the MLBPA would support. My response? You don't want to lose your pick, don't sign him. If MLB were to make an exception in this case this would set a terrible precedent and 29 other teams will be, and should, pretty ticked off.

I disagree completely.....the pick would have been top 10 protected if the Pirates would have signed their pick last year, but because they didn't, the Mets have to pay the price? To me this is a no-brainer and the Mets should only have to give up a 2nd roundpick

the pick would have been top 10 protected if the Pirates would have signed their pick last year, but because they didn't, the Mets have to pay the price? To me this is a no-brainer and the Mets should only have to give up a 2nd roundpick

Yes because that's how the rules work. The Brewers should have had a first round pick for losing the best pitcher in the game at the time but because the Yankees signed Mark Texiera too they ended up with a second round pick and lost out on Mike Trout. Just because the Mets find a guy that they like doesn't mean they should be able to skirt the rules. Boo Hoo.

Too bad, so sad for yet another Boras client. Are you watching Carlos Gomez?

Unlike Bourn Gomez is still rather young yet relatively speaking so teams are going to look at him as he can still improve. Gomez is more equal to BJ Upton than he is Bourn and will more than likely get a contract rather similar to what Upton got from the Braves this year.

Above Post^

Bourn also has no HR power. Hitting 9 last year will turn out as a fluke and he'll be back to 3/4 a season.

Gomez has that 15-20HR in him plus the D, plus the SBs. Younger, and higher potential vs. aging,peaked out, time to decline Bourn.

I do think Gomez is less value than Upton but more just because Upton's potential is a whole tier above Gomez's. Sadly, Gomez on a QO will be 14mil or more which is almost 1mil higher than Upton's. So now Gomez is looking at pricing himself above a better potential Upton? He's likely in for some major Bourn-like trouble unless he goes 20/40 again this season.

As to the OP and Mets asking for the bend on the rules. It all depends on how the rule was written in terms of top 10 pick protection. If anywhere it leads one to think it was meant to protect the 10 worst teams from the season prior on their draft pick then I think NY has a case to have it bent. If it's just plain only top 10picks get compensation, regardless of how compensation picks fall in to that top 10 then NY has no right to bend the rules.

Archived