Brewer Fanatic

J. Upton to Braves, Delgado+ to DBacks

Raw Biz

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/braves-to-acquire-justin-upton.html

Upton and Chris Johnson to the Braves, Delgado, Prado, SS Nick Ahmed, and RHP Zeke Spruill to DBacks.

Rosenthal initially reported that Delgado was not the biggest piece in the trade. I don't know much about Ahmed/Spruill but it doesn't look like they are bigger pieces than Delgado (unless he was talking about Prado).

edit: It also looks like 1B Brandon Drury also going to the DBacks.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

That Atlanta lineup has some serious young talent:

LF J Upton

CF BJ Upton

RF Heyward

1B Freeman

SS Simmons

Combine that with C McCann, 2B Uggla and anyone at 3B and they have the makings of a potentially devastating lineup. Additionally, having a Kimbrel, Venters, O'Flaherty, Walden bullpen...whew that's scary! It will all come to that staff and whether or not Medlen can continue to pitch like a #1, Beachy returns to health, Hudson continues to pitch well at 38 and Minor pitches like he did in the second half.

Either way, its a great time to be a Braves fan.

That Atlanta lineup has some serious young talent:

LF J Upton

CF BJ Upton

RF Heyward

1B Freeman

SS Simmons

Combine that with C McCann, 2B Uggla and anyone at 3B and they have the makings of a potentially devastating lineup. Additionally, having a Kimbrel, Venters, O'Flaherty, Walden bullpen...whew that's scary! It will all come to that staff and whether or not Medlen can continue to pitch like a #1, Beachy returns to health, Hudson continues to pitch well at 38 and Minor pitches like he did in the second half.

Either way, its a great time to be a Braves fan.

I still like the Nationals lineup better. That Brave lineup has plenty of thunder but may break the all time record for striking out.

I think the Nats are do for a pretty big letdown offensively since so much of their offense overproduced last year. The rotation will still carry the team to the division win though.

As for the strikeouts, they just don't matter at all. I could link a dozen articles to you that prove it but then we've already been through that before. I'll just say that last year the A's crushed the K record and scored a lot of runs and the 3 lowest K teams in the AL were all below average offensively and lost at least 90 games.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I knew the Braves would have to give up someone good from their major league roster since their farm system is pretty bare. Prado surprises me, but I can understand the move. He's a FA after this year.

This gives the Braves a nice offense, but they are stuck with Chris Johnson and/or Juan Francisco at 3B. Perhaps a platoon will suffice for them. I think it's a good situation for Upton.

I wasn't thrilled with the take by the Dbacks, because Prado is a FA after this season. But if they can get him to ink an extension, I think it's fine. No big upside players, but Prado will solidify 3B for a few years (assuming he signs an extension). He's an underrated player. I like that they got Delgado. I think he can be a decent starter. Not a superstar, but solid.

It's an interesting decision by Arizona to take this package. Texas was reportedly offering Olt, who would have been the kind of player who could have been really good (or a bust). Arizona went with the established player. I guess I can't blame them, since they feel they can compete this year. And Prado is a very good player. Not as sexy as a 30 HR hitter - but very good.

I don't really like the deal at all. I'd rather have Teheran than Delgado and Prado doesn't do much for me. The other prospects are meh. I'd be pissed at Upton if I was a DBacks fan (if I wasn't already) because that Seattle package was a lot better (Franklin and one of the big 3 pitching prospects).
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I don't really like the deal at all. I'd rather have Teheran than Delgado and Prado doesn't do much for me. The other prospects are meh. I'd be pissed at Upton if I was a DBacks fan (if I wasn't already) because that Seattle package was a lot better (Franklin and one of the big 3 pitching prospects).

hard to be pissed at the player for following his own contract. I mean there was only 4 teams he couldn't go to. The fact that there was that much of a drop off from the Mariners to the braves shows either the Mariners were extremely desperate or Upton didn't have as much value as I thought. or Both. I am completely underwhelmed from the package for him. I do think its cool he gets to go play with his brother now

hard to be pissed at the player for following his own contract. I mean there was only 4 teams he couldn't go to. The fact that there was that much of a drop off from the Mariners to the braves shows either the Mariners were extremely desperate or Upton didn't have as much value as I thought. or Both. I am completely underwhelmed from the package for him. I do think its cool he gets to go play with his brother now

Well I hate no-trade clauses to begin with. Also, it just seemed weird the teams that he listed. Mariners, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Cubs. Sure the Mariners and Cubs are bad but the Blue Jays are gonna be pretty darn good and the Red Sox are the Red Sox. Not to mention Upton basically requested/forced a trade so teams knew they didn't have to offer as much. Sure the DBacks could have not traded him but that probably would have caused problems in the clubhouse.

I think the Nats are do for a pretty big letdown offensively since so much of their offense overproduced last year. The rotation will still carry the team to the division win though.

Besides LaRoche and Desmond, who overproduced? Zimmerman, Werth, Morse and Espinosa were all below their career OPS.

Can't believe they got Justin Upton, and were able to keep Tehran.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Besides LaRoche and Desmond, who overproduced? Zimmerman, Werth, Morse and Espinosa were all below their career OPS.

That is going to be a fun race to watch. What I will be really interested in is how the Phillies figure into the race. While I think the Nationals and Braves are the class of the NL East right now, the Phillies still have Halladay, Lee and Hamels. If Howard, Utley, Rollins and Michael Young can turn back the clock, stay healthy and play close to their career norms, this may turn into a three team race.

Well I hate no-trade clauses to begin with. Also, it just seemed weird the teams that he listed. Mariners, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Cubs. Sure the Mariners and Cubs are bad but the Blue Jays are gonna be pretty darn good and the Red Sox are the Red Sox. Not to mention Upton basically requested/forced a trade so teams knew they didn't have to offer as much. Sure the DBacks could have not traded him but that probably would have caused problems in the clubhouse.

If a team doesn't like a no trade clause they don't have to put one in, The marlins for example refuse to give out no trade clauses. As far as the teams go does Upton pick his teams in the offseason or did he pick them at the start of the contract? Im actually not sure on that. And I dont understand on what you mean forced a trade, I didn't hear of anything of him not wanting to go to specific teams besides the ones on his no trade list. And it's not like hes a free agent soon so he couldn't hold an extension over their heads

And I dont understand on what you mean forced a trade, I didn't hear of anything of him not wanting to go to specific teams besides the ones on his no trade list. And it's not like hes a free agent soon so he couldn't hold an extension over their heads

I can't find the article I read but basically Upton was pissed about his name being floated out there as a trade candidate. Then he asked the DBacks to remove the Uptown sign in RF and he refused to do any community service for them because he said he wouldn't make sense to help out a community if he was going to be traded. The DBacks basically said that they are always willing to listen on trade offers and its just part of the business.

I don't know if the initial trade talks were because of Upton's demeanor or because they thought he was no longer worth the money or what. Regardless, I don't think they received any offers they liked but then Upton basically said if you're going to make me available, you might as well just trade me now. So they were probably just doing their due diligence like any team does and seeing what could potentially be available in trade and Upton didn't like that so he basically demanded a trade without necessarily saying so by telling them to take down the sign and by refusing to do community service. It just sounds like his feelings were hurt and he was a poor sport about it.

I can't find the article I read but basically Upton was pissed about his name being floated out there as a trade candidate. Then he asked the DBacks to remove the Uptown sign in RF and he refused to do any community service for them because he said he wouldn't make sense to help out a community if he was going to be traded. The DBacks basically said that they are always willing to listen on trade offers and its just part of the business.

I don't know if the initial trade talks were because of Upton's demeanor or because they thought he was no longer worth the money or what. Regardless, I don't think they received any offers they liked but then Upton basically said if you're going to make me available, you might as well just trade me now. So they were probably just doing their due diligence like any team does and seeing what could potentially be available in trade and Upton didn't like that so he basically demanded a trade without necessarily saying so by telling them to take down the sign and by refusing to do community service. It just sounds like his feelings were hurt and he was a poor sport about it.

If that is what happened they still should have tried to hide it a little better. I mean they have made it known for awhile that he was going to be traded. Between basically going in saying were moving this guy no matter what with him and Bauer I feel they have mis handled 2 of their biggest assests this offseason

:laughing well played.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I am surprised Atl gave up so little for J.Upton. I like Prado and I see they want to extend him immediately but even 4-5years of Prado and Delgado while giving up Johnson does nothing to make me feel this trade is even for ARZ.

Now Arz has 3SS prospects and I read they are going to use one to acquire someone else. In the end, if Arz makes a plus trade their way, dealing away the SS they just acquired, seeing how the team's depth pans out, then maybe all will be good for Arz and Towers. Otherwise, he traded away #1 Pitching talent and #1 Batting Talent for nothing.

NL East is a Beast with Atl,Wash,and Philly. Take NYM,FL about to be the equivalent of Chc/Hou for the Central and it will all boil down to H2H winner between the 3. That's why Philly can be inserted in the talk of competing with Was/Atl. Hamels/Halladay/Lee to me at any time can pitch CG SH. That can be an easy 3game sweep vs Atl/Was. Howard now becoming healthy and playing a full season just may mash again. I'm definitely in the group not counting out Phi even with all their aging players. That team by and Large were the favorites to win the WS just 2years ago and Howard's injury in the Playoffs stunted them for last year. The results had to be in the lowest of projections for Phi. Anyway, random tangient.

I wonder if Towers learns to be less open on the trade rumors to avoid upsetting players the way Upton was. Add to it Bauer's displeasure with management in how he prepares for a game and the end result of trading away 2 of the teams best players has to leave one wondering addressing keeping players within happy.

To be fair the Braves positional players are probably a downgrade right now compared to what they had last year. Prado is as valuable as Upton, Bourn was more valuable than the other Upton and Chipper was more valuable than their 3B platoon.

You're right Ennder, but Atl is now younger. Both Upton brothers potential is through the roof though and maybe by putting them on the same team they achieve it. Johnson is capable as a hitter so the hole of losing Prado and Jones retiring to me doesn't hurt as much if they hadn't gotten Johnson in return. So Offensively I think they are even with potentially better results. Defensively though is where Atl does take a downgrade. Johnson at 3b could be cringeworthy if the errors pile up, will have to see how many games that costs the team.

To be fair the Braves positional players are probably a downgrade right now compared to what they had last year. Prado is as valuable as Upton, Bourn was more valuable than the other Upton and Chipper was more valuable than their 3B platoon.

I completely agree. Prado will be missed. He can play every position well and will hit .300 and have an ops pushing .800. He had a better year than j upton last year.

As for BJ, that guy is a career underachiever. What is so great about a .255 career hitter who has some pop? I would just as we'll have Carlos Gomez. Same player basically, only difference is the price tag.

I think the braves are going to regret investing so much in the upton brothers.

I think comparing Prado directly to Upton isn't done effectively unless you factor in that Prado's a FA after this coming season, whereas J. Upton is signed through 2015. On top of that, his upside is much higher than Prado's. For one season, perhaps the Braves have sacrificed a little bit of overall value going from Prado to Upton. But clearly this trade was made for much more than 2013. Going forward, an outfield of Upton--Upton--Heyward could easily wind up being the best in MLB.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived