Brewer Fanatic

Jair Jurrjens

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is he a free agent? I know the Braves were rumored to be non-tendering him. Did that ever happen? Is he a guy you take a flier on? No more than a two year deal. Would prefer one year but doubt that would get him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There's less than a handful of FA starting pitchers out there that could still get a major league deal. I'm not sure if Jurrjens will.

The type of minor league deal that he'll eventually get will include a clause that if he's not called up by a certain date (usually something like June 1st) then he can opt out and become a FA.

The Brewers seem to be a good fit for this type of signing. It gives them evaluation time for their less experienced starters but also gives them another option should one fail and Jurrjens (or another guy) is excelling in AAA.

There's less than a handful of FA starting pitchers out there that could still get a major league deal. I'm not sure if Jurrjens will.

The type of minor league deal that he'll eventually get will include a clause that if he's not called up by a certain date (usually something like June 1st) then he can opt out and become a FA.

The Brewers seem to be a good fit for this type of signing. It gives them evaluation time for their less experienced starters but also gives them another option should one fail and Jurrjens (or another guy) is excelling in AAA.

I think this is a fair assessment. I'm not sure anyone will offer him a major league deal. Not after his terrible 2012.

A deal like this is exactly what the Brewers should offer Jurrjens. Make it a minor league deal with an opt out date - like John Briggs suggest, say June 1. That gives the Crew a couple of months to assess Jurrjens in the minors - as well as their young pitching at the major and minor league levels.

Of course, there's a chance Jurrjens could pitch lights out in spring training and make the team. Or injuries could strike early, in which case he's up before June 1. But this gives everyone a fair shake. He doesn't want to pitch decent, but then have no spot available. And we don't want to guarantee him a spot out of spring training. It gives us some veteran depth beyond the old Suppan-like guys just trying to hang around or injured guys trying for a comeback. And with all of our young pitching, he would probably feel pretty good about getting a crack at our rotation - assuming he can pitch better than last year.

I think you guys underestimate the desperation for starting pitching. I'd be willing to bet Jurrjens gets a ML deal of some kind if he's deemed healthy. He's probably WORTH a minor league deal but I don't think that's what he'll get.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think you guys underestimate the desperation for starting pitching. I'd be willing to bet Jurrjens gets a ML deal of some kind if he's deemed healthy. He's probably WORTH a minor league deal but I don't think that's what he'll get.

I dunno. Teams are well aware there are some clubs with a surplus that are going to have to shed guys just to get to their roster limit (Dodgers are prime example). Now there certainly are some desperate teams out there like a Minnesota and Houston that could use him, but we'll see. He may want to put himself in position to get a shot with a contender sooner rather than later.

Jurrjens was so bad last year I don't think anyone will give him a major league deal. 6.89 ERA. 18 BB and only 19K in 48 innings. 1.86 WHIP. He's had some injuries - I believe his knees as well as a groin issue. Knee injuries can be tricky. I just don't think anyone is going to give him anything guaranteed without proof he's healthy and got his stuff together. He was simply too bad last year to give him a pass.

Jurrjens was so bad last year I don't think anyone will give him a major league deal. 6.89 ERA. 18 BB and only 19K in 48 innings. 1.86 WHIP. He's had some injuries - I believe his knees as well as a groin issue. Knee injuries can be tricky. I just don't think anyone is going to give him anything guaranteed without proof he's healthy and got his stuff together. He was simply too bad last year to give him a pass.

Homer, you nailed it. Someone gave him a major league deal.

The desperation for starting pitching as is demonstrated here is precisely why the Brewers just can't discard guys who showed promise last year. It behooves them to give each one of those guys his shot. Signing veteran guys even to relatively modest deals that will stand in their way is short sighted.

The desperation for starting pitching as is demonstrated here is precisely why the Brewers just can't discard guys who showed promise last year. It behooves them to give each one of those guys his shot. Signing veteran guys even to relatively modest deals that will stand in their way is short sighted.

I think it depends on the situation - i.e. if the guy has options and the Brewers can retain him but stick him in the minors then it's not so bad.

Man, that is just incredible. To think what promise Jurrjens had prior to last season to this? 1.5mil contract?! The guy was an AS clearly, and now he's scrapheap material! No injury and this guy would be on the track to 10mil+ years probably after this 2013 season. I am glad a team like Baltimore signed him as they are one of those teams I can root for and thus I can root for Jurrjens to return to something resembling what he had in 2011.

That said, I am still glad Milw wasn't the team for this reclamation project. I want to see the young pitchers battle out who will be part of Milw's Pitching staff of the future. I don't want the team to force their decision on 2 guys and have to stick with it, whether working or not. There should be 7arms to interchange and have a great look at to determine the path of Milw's future.

Jurrjens was more of a perfect storm pitcher than a good one. He had 2 seasons where all of his luck based stats favored him and then 2 years where they all completely betrayed him. He is probably a true 4 ERA guy if healthy so while that is nice and all it isn't the big upside people assume he has.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived