Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Bobby Crosby

torts

Brewers Sign Bobby Crosby

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 22 at 2:16pm CST]

The Brewers signed Bobby Crosby to a minor league contract with an invitation to MLB Spring Training, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (on Twitter). The deal would pay Crosby $800K if he makes the team and includes $450K in incentives. TWC Sports represents the former AL Rookie of the Year.

Crosby, who turned 33 this month, last played at the MLB level in 2010. He has a .236/.304/.372 batting line over the course of eight big league seasons and has at least 20 games of experience at all four infield positions.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#MMyQpxyVtXRKFhFW.99

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Does this mean there's no shot at Alex Gonzalez anymore? Because I think he would have been a better mentor to Segura.

I think this is insurance against losing out on Sea Bass, but a MiLC with a ST invite hardly stands in the way of signing González. The Brewers are pretty thin at SS in the upper levels of the minors, so Crosby will likely just be an organizational soldier imo.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Bianchi needs to beg off Team Italy and make his impression in camp. His only advantage is a 40-man roster spot and no options, but that obviously guarantees nothing.

With 14 guys participating in the WBC, the Brewers quite literally just need more bodies for ST. I think it's more likely that Crosby will just be an extra body than it is he's seriously being considered for the 25-man. At least I hope.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Bianchi needs to beg off Team Italy and make his impression in camp. His only advantage is a 40-man roster spot and no options, but that obviously guarantees nothing.

Italy is the surest bet of all to last all of 3 games in the WBC. I don't think playing will hurt his chances. My goodness if Bobby Crosby is his competition, then he has no worries.

If the Brewers are looking to add guys who are out of the game, why don't they call Troy Glaus? I read somewhere that he was looking to get back in, and with the bench thinner, he'd make a lot more sense.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Crosby was looking like a potential all star before injuries derailed his career. He was a 20 HR, good fielding SS. His second year he only played about 2/3 of the season and still had a WAR of over 3.0.

I think he hurt his back at that point, and was never the same - offensively or defensively.

Archived