Brewer Fanatic

Hart to have knee surgery (Reply #88: Had surgery 1/25)

markedman5
Hart's absences are also completely consistent with him being used in covert operations missions, from his previously undisclosed recruitment into ROTC during college. Any photographs of him in camouflage or black outfits would only add fuel to this fire. Let's not just make up stuff that is vaguely consistent with the evidence.

Remember when Corey dyed his hair black in NYC a few years back? /nods knowingly

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what's the earliest date in spring training that a player can be backdated to for the disabled list?

i'm trying to determine if the brewers could put hart on the 60-day disabled list to open up a 40-man spot.

I believe it's 10 days. I don't see them going that route though, because he could recover quicker than expected like last year. Wouldn't want to have him sitting out longer than needed.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

The poster suggesting Hart is sandbagging wasn't saying during the regular season but through Spring Training. From 2009 and on how many "Spring Training" games has Hart played to missed? I get the idea of saying Hart is sabotaging his having to go to Spring Training. He has his spot on the team. So the guy is suggesting is he's dogging ST by delaying revealing his injuries until the point where the healing time coincides with beginning of the season.

This one bring Hart in to the 10th game (best case) through to the 45th game(longest suggested healing time) of Hart to return. Which smells exactly like last season. Hopefully no videos come up where Hart is playing Golf or Basketball or something now until he returns because that would just add fuel to this fire of him avoiding ST.

He's having SUR-GER-Y. He's not saying he has a booboo and needs his beauty sleep.

The poster suggesting Hart is sandbagging wasn't saying during the regular season but through Spring Training. From 2009 and on how many "Spring Training" games has Hart played to missed? I get the idea of saying Hart is sabotaging his having to go to Spring Training. He has his spot on the team. So the guy is suggesting is he's dogging ST by delaying revealing his injuries until the point where the healing time coincides with beginning of the season.

This one bring Hart in to the 10th game (best case) through to the 45th game(longest suggested healing time) of Hart to return. Which smells exactly like last season. Hopefully no videos come up where Hart is playing Golf or Basketball or something now until he returns because that would just add fuel to this fire of him avoiding ST.

He's having SUR-GER-Y. He's not saying he has a booboo and needs his beauty sleep.

When I head sandbagging I think that Hart knew of an injury and purposely did not have the surgery till now. Not that that is what I think whatsoever. Bad luck with a large body.

Ya this is a contract year. You don't delay a surgery so you miss ALL of spring training. That is a very bold statement. It's one thing if he has a tight hamstring and needs to sit a week out every year, but we are talking surgeries. Big difference.

I was initially bummed about this but now I'm looki g at it as a positive. Get Gamel some playing time, get Hart back, hope he plays well, then trade him. I think he's an old 30 and if we can get anything half way descent for him we should pull the trigger. Hate to see him go but I think we need to avoid any deals with him.

This is a "great" opportunity for Mat Gamel. I'm going to be cheering hard for him to start out the season very hot for the Brewers sake, financially, and to win games..
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

This is a "great" opportunity for Mat Gamel. I'm going to be cheering hard for him to start out the season very hot for the Brewers sake, financially, and to win games..

This is a "great" opportunity for Mat Gamel but it is also a great opportunity for someone like Khris Davis to show what he can do. I thought Gamel would win a spot over Davis but with Hart out I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis take a spot on the roster.

This is good for the Brewers and bad for Corey Hart. Brewers become more flexible with Gamel, Green and Morris getting a shot. One will emerge and do well, maybe two.

Corey Hart will never get a long term contract. He will be, at best, a two year at a time player.

I get he's having surgery. But why did he wait to have it to a time where it coming back is at start of the season? It's 3-4months out but what if he assumed it was a 2-3months out? Where 3months at worst case has him back just in time for the season's 2nd week? The injury he has and having a tear isn't something that should taken lightly and not have counciled with a Dr. upon feeling pain. This isn't a guy with no insurance/no money. If he feels any pain especially in a knee that was recently injured he should have been in the Dr's having it looked at on Day 1. That is the scenario of him sandbagging.

And, he could have just in that week felt pain had it looked at, and was told surgery is needed. I don't know what Hart's case is, just able to see the sandbaggin side like the poster who said he could be. I have an open mind to either side.

This does help with Gamel getting playing time again. I'm not sold on Morris being ready. The club has Green or Lucroy to spell Gamel some time at 1b as well. No need to rush Morris's clock until he's proven himself at AAA to be the type of hitter he was at AA last season. Morris making the team's 25man roster would be shocking to me I could see the odds being in the 500 to 1 or higher on it happening. The Brewers starting his clock prematurely for 30games to start a season, could only be justified if he was to be their everyday 1b in their minds when Spring Training ends. Who here believes that right now?

Out of this injury, I hope the club shifts their thoughts away of extending Hart to a deal of any length. 2years more maybe but that would fall on the lines that Gamel pukes his opportunity and the club honestly has no 1b option in which it now justifies that extension.

I get he's having surgery. But why did he wait to have it to a time where it coming back is at start of the season? It's 3-4months out but what if he assumed it was a 2-3months out? Where 3months at worst case has him back just in time for the season's 2nd week? The injury he has and having a tear isn't something that should taken lightly and not have counciled with a Dr. upon feeling pain. This isn't a guy with no insurance/no money. If he feels any pain especially in a knee that was recently injured he should have been in the Dr's having it looked at on Day 1. That is the scenario of him sandbagging.

And, he could have just in that week felt pain had it looked at, and was told surgery is needed. I don't know what Hart's case is, just able to see the sandbaggin side like the poster who said he could be. I have an open mind to either side.

http://i.imgur.com/xrxPw.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ok, but that's not what you said. You said you hope that there's no video that comes out of him playing basketball or golf or something like that. Which is why people have to resort to saying things like "SUR-GU-RY", because either you don't get it, or now you're backtracking.

So, if Hart after 6weeks shows up on video on the 'Basketball court or playing golf you would feel okay with that? I said between now and his "Return"

According to TH, Hart's knee swelled up due to offseason workouts and damage was found. Surgery was deemed necessary (most likely by the Brewers' medical staff). Because the medical staff thought that surgery was prudent, because it happened during offseason workouts (i.e. getting in shape before spring-training), and because an actual ailment was found to require surgery, all of your speculation seems silly and unwarranted. There should be no reason to predict that Hart is going to start playing golf or basketball, it's not going to happen. (He's not Josh Beckett :) and if he does then you can say I told you so) And to be frank, all of the sandbagging comments are completely unjustified and ridiculous. By the way, surgery (recommended by the Brewer's staff) generally indicates that a repair is required for a player to play/perform and that is why it was stressed by previous posters. I would put more credence in the Brewers' medical staff's opinion and the structural damage present, rather than pure speculation on Hart's missing ST and his desire to play golf.

To borrow from Packer coach Kevin Greene:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3f3wcSEAX1qzddo2o1_400.jpg

"It is time."

Come on Mat, show us what you can do in 2013!

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

This is good for the Brewers and bad for Corey Hart. Brewers become more flexible with Gamel, Green and Morris getting a shot. One will emerge and do well, maybe two.

Corey Hart will never get a long term contract. He will be, at best, a two year at a time player.

That's some wishful thinking. Gamel hasn't played in a game of any kind since early May. Green didn't do much at all off the bench last year or in AAA. Morris hasn't played an inning above AA. The Brewers would be advised to add Sean Halton to their list of invitees and see what he can do too. At least Halton (.274/.354/.497) has AAA experience.

I'd suggest Caleb Gindl makes the team as an extra OF. He deserves a shot. He's had 1 bad year (2012) and it was due to injury. For perspective, he's had the same number of bad seasons that Morris has had good seasons

I'm the guy suggesting that he sandbags it a bit but I would never imagine seeing him playing bball or golf. If this was really the case (and it's just a wild theory I've thrown out and started to believe a bit), he's going to just be relaxing and hanging out with/rehabbing with the team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So, if Hart after 6weeks shows up on video on the 'Basketball court or playing golf you would feel okay with that? I said between now and his "Return"

I'm only going to respond to that to say I'm not going to respond to that.

You're digging such a ridiculous hole of improbability just to prove a point that there's no way to even justify responding to the things you're asking.

Congratuluations I guess.

The only one who benefits from this is Gamel, who gets another chance to shine, and I hope he makes the most of it. If he stumbles, Morris will probably leapfrog him as the leader in the race to be the Brewers' starting 1B in 2014.

Hart certainly loses. No one knows how a surgery will go, so it's not out of the question that he will never be 100% again. Even if he does come back strong, he will miss time this year, which will mean his chance at 30 HR/100 RBI plateaus are slim, and that's meaningful going into contract talks, plus he'll have the "injury prone" tag to contend with, which will lessen his value.

The Brewers lose because they're losing a key offensive player, which will hurt their chances to win. Plus, Hart's trade value is zero right now, and will be less at the trade deadline than it would've been had he not gotten injured.

It does open up the chance for an interesting scenario. What do the Brewers do if Gamel starts off the season on a tear and Aoki is playing well as the leadoff hitter? They wouldn't be able to trade Hart until he could prove that he was healthy, so the likely scenario would be that Gamel would be benched, but that would be hard to do if he's hot, especially when Hart is going to walk at the end of the year and Gamel will be your starter. I guess that would be a best-case scenario, because at least it would open the Brewers up to the idea of trading Hart once he's proven he's healthy.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

That's some wishful thinking. Gamel hasn't played in a game of any kind since early May. Green didn't do much at all off the bench last year or in AAA. Morris hasn't played an inning above AA. The Brewers would be advised to add Sean Halton to their list of invitees and see what he can do too. At least Halton (.274/.354/.497) has AAA experience.

Mat Gamel at AAA: .301/.374/.512 in 290 games.

Taylor Green at AAA: .311/.386/.513 in 197 games.

Archived