Brewer Fanatic

Hart to have knee surgery (Reply #88: Had surgery 1/25)

markedman5
Corey Hart hurt, shocking. He has had problems almost every single year for the last few years and isn't getting any younger. This was one of the reasons to trade him before the start of the year. One of the big reasons not to sign him long term.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yes, lets forget that he is in a contract year and that missing 6 weeks of the season will hurt his value, not to mention getting a bigger hit on the "injury prone" label.

Lets jump right to sandbagging. [sarcasm]bill hAll Star and his classic post 122.[/sarcasm] ;)

And he is in a contract year. .....if he was going to try to weasel out of spring training he certainly wouldn't do it this year.

It's unfortunate but all of his injuries have required surgery.....to suggest he is willing to miss a month or more of regular season games and hurt his team just to skip spring training is just ridiculous.

I just hope this inflamation didn't happen back in November and they thought it would get better. If it truly happened recently then there isn't a whole lot you can do.

Gamel will at least get a 2nd chance; but if he fails miserably they might as well cut him when Hart gets back and commit to Morris for 2014.

Of course this could also lower the price of an extension for Hart too; obviously assuming he comes back and plays like his normal self for a couple of months.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If he's going under the knife, it's not sandbagging, plain and simple.

Can't believe it's even being suggested.

Injury prone? Sure.

Sandbagging?

I'm starting to think there are people who don't understand what it's like to rehab from some of these surgeries. I guarantee you the rehab is more work than just going to spring training.

In regards to Corey Hart and his injury proneness, there are 30 teams in MLB each with 25 players on their active roster. So 750 players total. From 2010-2012 Hart's 424 games played rank him 62nd. Therefore, as it turns out, at almost anytime there are almost 700 "injury prone" players active on MLB rosters.

Hunter Morris vs. Mat Gamel in spring Training

Given our other options I don't think Morris is in the conversation at this point. He hasn't had any time in AAA and really only one good season period. He could be the next big thing or he could be the next Taylor Green. (Who I still hold out hope for incidentally.)

All right, we know Gamel likely becomes starter while he's gone. Who takes Gamel's spot on the bench remembering Gamel was going to play some OF too? Sign a vet?

Meh. As far as I'm concnered just find a 25th man who never sees the field unless in emergency. I wouldn't mind them mixing in Green and Schafer more often early so they can get enough AB's to be useful. Maybe pick up an end of the bench guy or go in house for that 25th roster spot that never gets used. Maybe even go third catcher to start with. The optimist in me hopes we see Schafer, Green and Gamel get enough good AB's to get some confidence/experience early in the hope that carries over later in the season.

He had an oblique injury that never seemed to heal until April in 2011. He tweaked his knee walking on the sidewalk in 2012. Now he decides to wait until January to get surgery in 2013. The evidence is there.

It isn't like he knew it was going to swell up on him and he just figured "why not wait until January so I can miss a month or so of the season?" Players work out during the winter. It isn't unheard of for off-season workouts lead to such things. Physical injuries that can be visually seen cannot be faked. You don't fake torn cartilage, swelling or a hole in your knee surface. Unless you think he's smashing his knee with a hammer to get out of work or something you kind of have to accept he's really injured.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

In regards to Corey Hart and his injury proneness, there are 30 teams in MLB each with 25 players on their active roster. So 750 players total. From 2010-2012 Hart's 424 games played rank him 62nd. Therefore, as it turns out, at almost anytime there are almost 700 "injury prone" players active on MLB rosters.

Less than 250 of those are regular starting position players though, and obviously several of those were not in MLB over that entire three year period. If you add in Hart's 2009 season his average games per season goes down to 135 over the last 4 years. Regardless, I think there is legitimate concern injuries will hamper his future production and he could be a candidate for a steep drop-off in health and production.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Some will debate the degree of this, but I think it's been established that Gamel's an acceptable MLB 1B (granted, with limited MLB experience) and now there's actually a chance for him to get everyday PT again. Gamel might eventually prove that others deserve a shot, too, but I like the idea that he's rather obviously the Plan A.

I like Morris and am very excited about his potential, too, but short of a Gamel injury and Green totally fumbling his chance, too, I still think it'd take Gamel & Green totally stinking AND Morris totally raking for Morris to get any real chance for an MLB chance this spring with Hart out.

I just hope this inflamation didn't happen back in November and they thought it would get better. If it truly happened recently then there isn't a whole lot you can do.

Speculation on my part, but I am guessing Melvin and the medical staff have known about the knee all offseason.

In a global view, for those saying 'well, we should have traded him', Corey would've failed a physical in any trade this offseason.

I keep thinking that Gamel is going to get a chance and show he can hit. Hunter Morris needs nore minor league time. He hasn't hit at every level.

pujols never played at AAA. I think if Gamel has a good spring its his job. I also know that morris struggled in the AFL. If he tears it up in spring training I just hope he is considered to get the job.

Less than 250 of those are regular starting position players though, and obviously several of those were not in MLB over that entire three year period. If you add in Hart's 2009 season his average games per season goes down to 135 over the last 4 years. Regardless, I think there is legitimate concern injuries will hamper his future production and he could be a candidate for a steep drop-off in health and production.

You're definitely right, eyeblack. I forgot to take out all the pitchers and bench players, but even still an average of 135 games a year is in the top 30% and right about where someone like Hart should be as a good not great player. Though I do agree with the larger point that with all factors taken into consideration the best idea is to let him play out this year and see what the market looks like next winter.

The poster suggesting Hart is sandbagging wasn't saying during the regular season but through Spring Training. From 2009 and on how many "Spring Training" games has Hart played to missed? I get the idea of saying Hart is sabotaging his having to go to Spring Training. He has his spot on the team. So the guy is suggesting is he's dogging ST by delaying revealing his injuries until the point where the healing time coincides with beginning of the season.

This one bring Hart in to the 10th game (best case) through to the 45th game(longest suggested healing time) of Hart to return. Which smells exactly like last season. Hopefully no videos come up where Hart is playing Golf or Basketball or something now until he returns because that would just add fuel to this fire of him avoiding ST.

Hart's absences are also completely consistent with him being used in covert operations missions, from his previously undisclosed recruitment into ROTC during college. Any photographs of him in camouflage or black outfits would only add fuel to this fire. Let's not just make up stuff that is vaguely consistent with the evidence.

Archived