Brewer Fanatic

Axford signs

markedman5
I think the real question becomes:

Do you re-insert him as the closer if K-Rod and Henderson are dealt at the deadline or are you comfortable with him as the 7th/8th inning guy?

I just don't think the Brewers are trading Ax.

if they trade both KRod and Henderson, do you really have any other option at that point?

Gonzalez?

I feel like that should be in blue

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I wish it were...but I have no doubt that thought would percolate in RR's brain.

can Yuni pitch?

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I think the real question becomes:

Do you re-insert him as the closer if K-Rod and Henderson are dealt at the deadline or are you comfortable with him as the 7th/8th inning guy?

I just don't think the Brewers are trading Ax.

My answer at that point would be... who cares who's closing games? If it's a lost season, let's give Mac McGehee a call & see if he available to close games.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am not speaking about the ability to close games as it relates to winning ballgames. I am more speaking to the value of Axford as a pitcher moving forward and whether he remains a Brewer past 2013 or as a trade piece in the offseason. My thought is he has been lights out as a non-closing reliever this year. Do we continue to keep him in this role as a solid contributor for our pen moving forward OR given the trading of our two closers (K-Rod & Henderson), do we hope he returns as a lockdown closer to potentially deal him in the offseason?

I am not speaking about the ability to close games as it relates to winning ballgames. I am more speaking to the value of Axford as a pitcher moving forward and whether he remains a Brewer past 2013 or as a trade piece in the offseason. My thought is he has been lights out as a non-closing reliever this year. Do we continue to keep him in this role as a solid contributor for our pen moving forward OR given the trading of our two closers (K-Rod & Henderson), do we hope he returns as a lockdown closer to potentially deal him in the offseason?

I don't believe Henderson will be traded it will probably be Axford and K-Rod who will get traded along with a couple other bullpen arms. This would also open up some roster space to include some players from the minors assuming the Brewers don't get anyone from a teams 40-man. I would also like to see someone like Thornburg, Sanchez, and others get a chance at the late inning reliever role after the deadline.

From this article on MLB Trade Rumors it looks as though Axford, K-Rod, and Gonzalez are generating enough noise for a trade.

The thing with Axford is price. He's 5mil this year and he keeps up his current return to form I'd see him as an 8mil-9mil guy next season. For the Brewers that's just too much a pricetag.

It's inevitable he's gone for this reason. Doug Melvin and RR made a really good decision to keep trotting Axford out there and to make him an 8th inning guy instead of a 9th inning closer. However, I believe it was all planned to increase his trade value for the inevitable departure.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

yeah, as much as id love to see Axford a Brewer for the long haul, after he priced himself at $5 mil through arbitration... it only goes up from here. I dont think I can recall a single time someone went to arbitration and got less than the year before, does anyone know of a situation like that happening? He seems like a perfect candidate to go to Detroit IMO

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

The thing with Axford is price. He's 5mil this year and he keeps up his current return to form I'd see him as an 8mil-9mil guy next season. For the Brewers that's just too much a pricetag.

Highly unlikely that he gets a raise. He doesn't have the comps to get more than $5M - he is a setup man this year (no saves), and setup men don't get $5M/year. He had a bad 2011 on top of that so what comps does he have to support $8M/year?

Highly unlikely that he gets a raise. He doesn't have the comps to get more than $5M - he is a setup man this year (no saves), and setup men don't get $5M/year. He had a bad 2011 on top of that so what comps does he have to support $8M/year?

it hasnt been a full season, so you cant say yet. if they trade off krod, then theres the chance Axford could close again with Henderson. even as a setup man, if he's able to perform great and not give up runs like he's been doing for the last month, he will absolutely get a raise. arbitration awards for relievers are not based on games saved, they're based on overall performance, and if he has a stellar second half and does not get traded, he'll definitely get a raise.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

That is a good question. I couldn't find a situation where a guy lost money in year 2 in arbitration. Especially if his stats get better. (Even though Ax went from 9th inning man in 2012 to 8th in 2013, I still think it will go up.) ...

Looking at bbref, it shows Jose Valverde as a comp to Ax. Here is how Jose went through Arby:

2006 - yr 3 - 5.87 ERA - 17 SV - $359k

2007 - yr 4 - 2.66 ERA - 47 SV - 2m

2008 - y4 5 - 3.38 ERA - 44 SV - 4.7m

2009 - yr 6 - 2.33 ERA - 25 SV - 8m

Ax:

2011 - yr 2 - 1.95 ERA - 46 SV - 442k

2012 - yr 3 - 4.67 ERA - 35 SV - 500k

2013 - yr 4 - 4.09 ERA - 0 SV - 5m

So in the example, Valverde, while underperforming in year 3, was still given a substantial raise in his first year of Arby. He then had 2 of his best years during his first 2 years of Arby. Not the Case for Ax. But I really don't see, him getting less. I would anticipate:

2014: 7 - 8 million

2015: 10-12 million (Would be based on if he goes back into a closer role. Otherwise, he might settle out around that 7-8. Which then you are right his raise won't be huge next year, but it wouldn't be less than $1m increase)

I would trade Axford in a heartbeat. Considering the run he is on, I have to imagine a high payroll team wouldn't bat an eye at paying Axford $6 Million + next year. Outside of a basically 2 week blip he has been great this year and would be a huge addition to a contending teams bullpen. I think the Brewers should be fine with their bullpen going forward if they trade him.

That being said I would have no idea what to expect as a return. The buying team would have control for 2.5 more years and his salary isn't cheap. Could you get a guy in the Top 75-125? Maybe.

I would trade Axford in a heartbeat. Considering the run he is on, I have to imagine a high payroll team wouldn't bat an eye at paying Axford $6 Million + next year. Outside of a basically 2 week blip he has been great this year and would be a huge addition to a contending teams bullpen. I think the Brewers should be fine with their bullpen going forward if they trade him.

That being said I would have no idea what to expect as a return. The buying team would have control for 2.5 more years and his salary isn't cheap. Could you get a guy in the Top 75-125? Maybe.

We traded 3 of our top 10 pitchers for Scott Linebrink (I don't know what Will Inman's overall rating was but I don't think it was top 100) ... Anything is possible

Didn't team pretty much know they were going to get a supplemental pick as well when Linebrink walked. Not to mention Inman never amounted to anything so I really don't want to trade for prospects who aren't really prospects.

Valverde was still the closer in year 4 (and a much better ERA so far) and only got 4.7M so I would not expect Axford to get more than $5M as a setup man. An interesting comp is J.J. Putz; he had a rough 2009 (may have been hurt - only pitched 29 games), re-established himself as a set-up man (with 3 saves) with the White Sox in 2010 (2.83 ERA, 1.037 WHIP), and signed a four year deal with Arizona to be their closer that averages $5.5M/year.

Grilli established himself as a setup man in PIT in 2011 and 2012 (2 saves in 2012, 2.91 ERA) and got a 2 year deal averaging $3.4M. Jim Johnson as a super 2 and closer got $6.5M. Balfour was a setup man with TB and got a 3-year deal with OAK averaging $4M/year. If Axford isn't closing he isn't going to get elite closer money.

Didn't team pretty much know they were going to get a supplemental pick as well when Linebrink walked. Not to mention Inman never amounted to anything so I really don't want to trade for prospects who aren't really prospects.

When the Brewers traded 3 prospects for Linebrinks 2 months of garbage, I certainly wasn't happy. Inman never did amount for anything but that is half luck. (Joe Thatcher was also included in the deal and he has been a good relief pitcher for 7 years) If we could get the same haul for both Krod and Ax, I do that all day long.

You never know what a prospect will amount to, but I would take my chances with 3 guys and 1 of them are ranked in the top 100

Archived