Brewer Fanatic

Axford signs

markedman5

This is a bargain.

Relative to what exactly? What closers make in FA? It's not fair to compare the Arby process to FA, more so it's fair to compare similar players at a similar juncture of the career. If he pitches like last year it's a horrible investment.

I'm not suggesting they should have non-tendered him, this kind of money was inevitable, but I don't see much "bargain" in the signing. He got market value and there's no way that market values ever equals a bargain.

From a value standpoint 5M for < 70 innings isn't all that intriguing, closer, setup man, or otherwise.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

This is a bargain.

Relative to what exactly? What closers make in FA? It's not fair to compare the Arby process to FA, more so it's fair to compare similar players at a similar juncture of the career. If he pitches like last year it's a horrible investment.

I'm not suggesting they should have non-tendered him, this kind of money was inevitable, but I don't see much "bargain" in the signing. He got market value and there's no way that market values ever equals a bargain.

From a value standpoint 5M for < 70 innings isn't all that intriguing, closer, setup man, or otherwise.

Yes, relative to FA, and this is part of a bigger point that I was making in another thread. Find and develop relievers from within your system, because it's much cheaper than going through FA. I also see no reason at all to extend Axford beyond his FA years. I like Axford, but I just don't see any need to pay what he will command in FA, and they will need to find someone else at that time or perhaps sooner. I'm all for recycling relievers from within the system once the current relievers become too expensive.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I agree that developing your own relievers is much more cost-effective, but I don't agree that this is a bargain. 5M for a first year arby relief pitcher coming off a very lackluster year?

For me, I would say it's a fair contract, but calling it a bargain is a stretch. If Axford starts off the season well but the team is tanking mid-season, I'd be more than willing to see Melvin shop him around. We've seen how quickly closers can fall apart, but also how much they can be overvalued.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 2 months later...

Now that we inexplicably paid $5M for a first year arby player who led the league in blown saves, we have to offer him at least $4M next year. It does not matter how bad he sucks this year, if we tender him, it can't be less than $4M.

Of course, if he ends up being that bad, he probably won't be tendered at all.

I'm still trying to figure out how he even got $5M. Isn't the general rule of thumb 40/60/80? As in 40% of market FA value your first arby year, 60% your second, etc. etc?

$5M in his first arby year would put Axford's FA value at $12,500,000, which makes zero sense at all.

I realize that 40/60/80 is not a hard and fast rule, but I thought it was at least a general guideline.

I'm still trying to figure out how he even got $5M. Isn't the general rule of thumb 40/60/80? As in 40% of market FA value your first arby year, 60% your second, etc. etc?

$5M in his first arby year would put Axford's FA value at $12,500,000, which makes zero sense at all.

I realize that 40/60/80 is not a hard and fast rule, but I thought it was at least a general guideline.

Yes, that is the rule of thumb and it appears to be followed fairly closely.

Yes, that is the rule of thumb and it appears to be followed fairly closely.

It doesn't seem like we did, though. There is no way anyone could estimate Axford's FA value as a closer as $12.5M coming into this year, is there? Not after last year. $12.5M would put him higher than anyone other than Soriano.

His fastball was clocked at 91-93 last night so depending on whether that is an injury or what it probably means he won't be effective until it goes back up.

Hearing that just makes me want RRR make a stand and publicly say we will have closer by committee. Same thing La Russa did 2 years ago when they won it all. Sure Motte ended up in that role by seasons end (and I am not saying, someone couldn't end up in that role for us) - but for the time being, we really need to open it up. Axford hasn't been an effective closer since 2011.

I saw this thread at the top of the forum, and I thought Melvin had extended him. Not a good thought at this time.

Axford for Porcello anyone?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 2 months later...
I think the real question becomes:

Do you re-insert him as the closer if K-Rod and Henderson are dealt at the deadline or are you comfortable with him as the 7th/8th inning guy?

I just don't think the Brewers are trading Ax.

if they trade both KRod and Henderson, do you really have any other option at that point?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I think the real question becomes:

Do you re-insert him as the closer if K-Rod and Henderson are dealt at the deadline or are you comfortable with him as the 7th/8th inning guy?

I just don't think the Brewers are trading Ax.

if they trade both KRod and Henderson, do you really have any other option at that point?

Gonzalez?

Archived