Brewer Fanatic

Mike Morse to Mariners, John Jaso to A's, A.J. Cole + "good prospect" to Nats

trwi7

I think this is a great deal by Seattle. Though the ptbnl has to be coming from them. Morse was the player most like Hart with OF/1b duo ability and the bat around the same. Seattle didn't give up any of thier top 6 prospects, half the price as Hart. And with Montero at Catcher, trading away Jaso for Morse fills in a huge hole in their lineup.

I don't get the A's part either in terms of trading away Cole+ for Jaso. I understand platooning at Catcher Jaso vs. Righties and I read Norris vs Lefties. Which if you're going to platoon that way Catcher makes the most sense with wear/tear on body.

Either way, with this deal, makes Hart to Sea non-existant. I really figured if Morse was dealt to any team other than Sea, that's where he'd end up. Time to move forward and plan to watch who the Brewers have on their roster.

This deal makes no sense at all for the Mariners. Morse is a marginal upgrade at best over what they already have and Jaso was a valuable piece that should have gotten back more than 1 year of a mediocre corner OF moving out of his prime. Jack Z has been a pretty terrible GM so far.

This deal makes no sense at all for the Mariners. Morse is a marginal upgrade at best over what they already have and Jaso was a valuable piece that should have gotten back more than 1 year of a mediocre corner OF moving out of his prime. Jack Z has been a pretty terrible GM so far.

Jaso isn't much younger than Morse and before last year was never a regular. Morse is a beast, and one of the most intimidating hitters in baseball. "Marginal upgrade", are you kidding? Last year the Mariners had Casper Wells (.698 OPS) and Trayvon Robinson (.618) in LF. The additions of Morales and Morse at least give them a respectable middle of the order.

Morse has one year that he has put up any real value. He is a bad fielder and a bad baserunner. Casper Wells is about the same value as Morse, throw in the other guys they can rotate around and yeah I think it is marginal at best. This is 1 year of a guy who in no way is going to put them over the hump into the playoff mix. Why not just dump Jaso for a prospect.

Jaso is an extremely good hitter against righties so he is a platoon type. I don't see the A's starting him full time.

Jaso isn't much younger than Morse and before last year was never a regular. Morse is a beast, and one of the most intimidating hitters in baseball. "Marginal upgrade", are you kidding? Last year the Mariners had Casper Wells (.698 OPS) and Trayvon Robinson (.618) in LF. The additions of Morales and Morse at least give them a respectable middle of the order.

Ummmm...what?

Morse is a beast? Not really.

Jaso>Morse in terms of value. Hideous for Seattle.

Isn't it the deal that George only earns 1/6 of his contract since he was released prior to that certain date in late spring training? It's a one-year contract & I'm thinking those are not guaranteed.

Something forgotten in Seattle to me is, Zunino may just be playing better than Jaso in Seattle's minds either now or by season's end that made him expendable. So, I don't see losing Jaso as a bad thing with a Stud Catching prospect pushing his way on the team. This has the makings of Montero catching for the 1st month and then Montero/Zunino splitting time at DH/C. This also goes in line with the team taking calls on Smoak. Moving him out will create that DH opening to split Montero/Zunino ABs. Morse is an upgrade for OF, Zunino keeps the drop off on Jaso being slim to none. I'm curious to see if Seattle goes all the way this season with adding Walker,Hultzen on their staff with Franklin/Zunino as bats. Having their clocks all start together. Seattle will be a team to watch just because the youth will all be playing and seeing how good they will do.

Archived