Brewer Fanatic

New Dad Advice

RobDeer 45
Well, I know I said our baby would come late may, but my Son was born on May 10th and I just wanted to brag a little bit!! An awesome feeling and I now get it, why everyone says it's beyond an amazing experience. I'm just super excited right now.....and tired, but it's all worth it. Just trying to soak it in.

I will take the blame for the weekend sweep because the "it's a boy" sign they put up at the hospital had the Red's mascots on it! I almost refused it but I was too proud.

That's awesome. Congratulations. Maybe a little late to the party but here are thoughts.

There's a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child that is very good. Our friends who run a home day care recommended it. I'm sure a lot of it is luck, but our 20-month old sleeps 11 hrs a night.

Routines are very helpful. There's obviously no schedule at first, but establish one after a few months. Same bedtime, etc.

For swaddling, I recommend the Miracle Blanket. Seems weird at first but it works like a dream. No velcro, so they don't make any noise when you're adjusting them.

Don't worry about calling the doctors too much. They're used to it. Our son started crying a lot after eating when he was about 4 weeks old. Then screaming. We should have gone in sooner, but turned out he had a bad acid reflux problem which apparently is pretty common. Once he was on the right meds, he was fine.

Good luck!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Thanks guys for all the great advice (from the start of this thread too) and all the kind words. I really appreciate it. It's a great feeling that I'm sure doesn't wear off for a long time, if ever. I'm sure I'll have a lot more advice questions as time goes on, and this thread has already been full of great stuff.

Archived