Brewer Fanatic

Rams' Quick and Dirty Top 50 Update

Thornburg is probably not ahead of either one for me at this point. I definitely whined when prospect evaluators tabbed him with the 'future bullpen' label early on in his career, but I think I see why between his time in the bigs last season & his 2013 campaign so far. I don't think he has much upside as a SP.

Otherwise, I think I'd have everyone you listed ahead of the two new guys.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would put Jungmann ahead of the new guys too.

I think the Brewers have two outstanding young players coming in, and I love the quality depth that's starting to develop in the system.

I'm hopint Coulter and Roache both go on a tear, to really heat up debate over those top spots in the organization.

I would put Jungmann ahead of the new guys too.

Based on proximity to the Majors or ...?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Yes, basically, I get why people don't love Jungmann, but I think he deserves more credit than some give him. Is he a guy who will fail at the highest level because he can't miss bats, or is he a guy who will succeed with low K totals? We don't know yet, but he's got some talent.

Williams was a great pick, and his ceiling is higher than Jungmann's, but he's very young, and he hasn't pitched yet. I'll be 46 next month, I've seen a lot of great prospects come and go, it takes a truly rare talent to get me to debut a kid higher than a guy who's a few levels in.

On physical skills, at draft time, Jed Bradley should be in Nashville right now, but he's still in Brevard County...I'll put the kid ahead of Bradley right away, because Bradley hasn't seized his opportunity yet.

At the start of the season, Arcia and Taylor had to prove it on the field, they're doing exactly that, and I hope these two new kids do the same.

I'm going to call it now and say that Williams will land about six on Baseball America's next Brewers top-10. From what I've heard they all praised the pick and he's got helium (to them). They will make a statement there ranking him higher than you think....

(Not that it matters....)

• 3 months later...

Just because I'm bored I wanted to post my updated top 10 since guys like Gennett, Davis, Gindl, Schafer and Thornburg are no longer eligible

1) Jimmy Nelson - I don't see who else you could put in this position

2) Taylor Jungmann - solid numbers though I'd like to see more K's and fewer walks.

3) Victor Roache - Big time power. Much better 2nd half than 1st. Hopefully he can keep BA and OBP at respectable levels

4) Orlando Arcia - Held his own in Wisconsin though I wouldn't mind seeing him repeat to see what he can do against competition a little closer to his age.

5) Devin Williams -based entirely on potential

6) Tyrone Taylor - Great numbers at Wisconsin

7) Johnny Hellweg - Ton of potential but won't go anywhere until he can learn how to control his pitches

8) Ariel Pena - Again, tons of potential but needs to cut down on walks

9) Clint Coulter - I really want to believe in him. Injuries and head-scratching organizational placements seemed to make it a lost year though.

10) Tyler Wagner - Hard thrower with solid numbers but is kind of old for his level. I'd love to see him succeed in the first half at BC and then get moved up to Huntsville next year.

11) Hunter Morris - His year wasn't really that bad. Yeah he only hit .243 but he drew walks about once every 11 at bats and hit a crap load of home runs. Another year in Nashville will do him some good and I still have hope for him

12) Mitch Haniger - Really slowed down once he hit BC. I hope I'm wrong but I view him as a 4th outfielder

13) Nick Delmonico - I'm told he has some upside

14) D'vontrey Richardson - thought he was progressing very well before he called it quits. Put up solid numbers in BC but hardly ever walked and is already 25.

15) Jorge Lopez - flashed potential last season but needs more consistency.

This organization definitely needs an infusion of high ceiling talent. After Jimmy Nelson I don't see anyone who is a for sure major league regular.

Archived