Brewer Fanatic

Rams' Quick and Dirty Top 50 Update

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As aways, thanks for providing Rams. Your posts are much appreciated.

I feel like our top 50 is starting to resemble something of a solid minor league system. I am particularly interested in Roache from what I have heard about him.

Thanks! I like hearing people get a kick out of them and read them.

Roache is definitely interesting to me too. We know he has 70 power, but if the other tools are sneaky-good (or at least sneaky-better than expected), he could be a really nice player.

I can say that in the few games I've seen him play at Low A (MiLB.tv was the best 40 bucks I've spent in a long time), when Roache makes contact, the ball moves. It sounds different off of his bat.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just perusing minor league stats and we have a number of prospects struggling so far. Granted, it's super early and stats have a way to return to the norm. But it is a bit of an epidemic. Guys like Thornburgh, Jungmann, Hellweg, Coulter, Morris, Roache and company are struggling.

On the plus side, Bradley is rebounding. Jimmy Nelson is looking good again. Maybe Nelson can end up like a Chris Carpenter or Adam Wainwright someday? A guy can dream. He seems like the type of pitcher the Cards would trot out there every fifth day.

Mitch Haniger is another kid who just goes out and produces. I don't know if he profiles as anything more than a 4th outfielder, but he looks interesting to watch.

If we continue to struggle and we trade assets at the trade deadline, maybe we can find a way to get some toolsy, 3b, 2b, and SS prospects. We need athletic talent at those positions. I wouldn't put a 98 pound weekling like Gennett in the toolsy category.

I am pulling for, no, actually ROOTING for Scooter to prove all the nay-sayers wrong in the near future!!!
All Brewer fans are rooting for Scooter to prove the nay-sayers wrong. :)

I think Orlando Arcia needs to be given discussion for the potential top spot. Yes, a .240/.320/.310 line isn't that sexy, but given his defense, position, age, ceiling, ability to adjust, and BB/K rate, there's just so much to like about him.

Spot on with the grade on Jim Henderson. Thus far, he's been lights out in the Majors this season: 9 for 9 in save opportunities with a 0.95 ERA and a minuscule 0.79 WHIP. He's got a nifty 23:5 K:BB ratio in 19 IP. 10.9 K/9 IP.

An excellent read thus far, Rams (I am still working my way through it). I'd be curious what your take is on Clint Coulter's long term prospects. He's got the big arm, but do you see him remaining behind the plate, or might he be moved to third base?

As much as I want us to keep drafting pitching, I'm encouraged by the guys we drafted early last year. I especially like Mitch Haniger. I could see him as our right fielder of the future. I think his upside is a little higher than he's being given credit for.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

An excellent read thus far, Rams (I am still working my way through it). I'd be curious what your take is on Clint Coulter's long term prospects. He's got the big arm, but do you see him remaining behind the plate, or might he be moved to third base?

I realize I'm not rams, but in the few T-Rats games I've been to so far this season, Coulter still looks like he has a long way to go as a catcher. He just hasn't looked very natural there in the games I've seen. If I were to bet on it, I'd bet he winds up at a corner spot eventually, but he's still very young & from all accounts a very hard worker. So I could also see him improving enough to stick at catcher -- he's big, strong, and a good athlete.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I thought this was pretty interesting. Disciples of Uecker have a look at some of our top prospects and how they've done so far this year.

Exciting to here people talking about Arcia being a Top 100 guy.

Jungmann is disappointing. I thought he'd break out this year. Tough to read one scout wonder if he's even a major league arm.

Haniger looking like a nice pick.

The article only covers 10 guys. Would have been nice to hear about some of the other guys - Bradley, Reed, etc.

http://disciplesofuecker.com/scouting-updates-on-top-brewers-prospects/11287

Spot on with the grade on Jim Henderson. Thus far, he's been lights out in the Majors this season: 9 for 9 in save opportunities with a 0.95 ERA and a minuscule 0.79 WHIP. He's got a nifty 23:5 K:BB ratio in 19 IP. 10.9 K/9 IP.

As much as I want us to keep drafting pitching, I'm encouraged by the guys we drafted early last year. I especially like Mitch Haniger. I could see him as our right fielder of the future. I think his upside is a little higher than he's being given credit for.

There's a lot of projection as far as Coulter's defensive position. He's a great worker and he's gotten a lot better. At some point, though, you have to start thinking that he's simply too big for the position. If that's the case, he likely becomes a 1B. Personally, I'd love him to be a full time 1B and a guy who can back up Lucroy on off days so that we don't lose offense at the C spot even with a backup out there, but that seems more far fetched.

As for 3B, I'm not sure he's a fit. If he's not a catcher, it's because he doesn't have the ability to maneuver himself quickly enough. That same problem will surface at 3B.

More than anything this draft, we need upside and impact talent. More Tyrone Taylors, less Taylor Jungmanns.

I realize I'm not rams, but in the few T-Rats games I've been to so far this season, Coulter still looks like he has a long way to go as a catcher. He just hasn't looked very natural there in the games I've seen. If I were to bet on it, I'd bet he winds up at a corner spot eventually, but he's still very young & from all accounts a very hard worker. So I could also see him improving enough to stick at catcher -- he's big, strong, and a good athlete.

Pretty much exactly where I stand. If Coulter makes it as a catcher, it's because of his plus plus makeup.

I thought this was pretty interesting. Disciples of Uecker have a look at some of our top prospects and how they've done so far this year.

Exciting to here people talking about Arcia being a Top 100 guy.

Jungmann is disappointing. I thought he'd break out this year. Tough to read one scout wonder if he's even a major league arm.

Haniger looking like a nice pick.

The article only covers 10 guys. Would have been nice to hear about some of the other guys - Bradley, Reed, etc.

http://disciplesofuecker.com/scouting-updates-on-top-brewers-prospects/11287

Very nice find!

Arcia's performance is saving my bacon. I stepped out on a limb with him this year, so I'm glad that others will follow. Like I said, he will probably be the number 1 prospect in the system on my next update, and he might lock that down for a while.

I still like Jungmann as a 4, but I agree, Milwaukee had 2 top 15 picks and they failed to get an impact guy with either. Not a good job.

I'll try and cover 40 more for you - not sure when the next top 50 will come out. Hopefully after the draft. :laughing

My question is, are there any more Arcia boys on the way? That's two prospects that have scouts drooling.

I'm going to have to start keeping my eye on Orlando. It's great to hear about a Brewer prospect that is going to move. Let's just make sure that he stays in our system, and that Dougie isn't trading him away for a two year rental.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I agree with those who think Coulter should move off the catcher position now, to allow his bat to develop.

I think Jimmy Nelson and Mitch Haniger may be the "safe guys" in the system to root for. They both look like they have the tools to reach the big leagues, without an obvious hole.

Victor Roache...power and discipline with holes in his swing, Pat Burrell-ish, perhaps?

Arcia...I'll love it if they're right..who wouldn't?

The Brewers could learn from the Yankees and Mariners in that regard, splitterpfj. Look at what's happened to Jesus Montero. He just got shipped back down to AAA. I think all the focusing on catching did stunt his offensive production. Zunino is the future of that franchise behind the plate, Montero should stick to first, or DH. That team is in desperate need of offense.

• 2 weeks later...
I feel like Orlando Arcia will not only be making top 100 lists, but sliding in at the top 50 or so spots. 18 year olds aren't supposed to do what he's doing to Low A ball right now.

This kid is special. I'm all in - he'll be my number 1 prospect.

What about Tyrone Taylor who is only a half year older than Arcia who is also putting up similar numbers that Arcia is doing. I believe by next year the Brewers are going to have 3 players in the top 50-100 in Taylor, Arcia, and Haniger with a possible 4th in Jimmy Nelson depending on if he makes it to the majors this year or not. Depending on how well Roache plays this year you could see him in the top 100 or just sitting on the outside looking in. When the lists are updated at some point this year I wouldn't be surprised to see Nelson, Haniger, Taylor, and Arcia in the top 100. Maybe not all of them but I can definitely see Haniger and Taylor getting put on that list when they get updated.

What about Nick Ramirez his average is not all that great nor is his OBP all that great but he is taking more walks this year than last year in Wisconsin and it looks like his power is back with 13 HR's so far this year he is only 3 off from what he hit last year. He is still striking out a lot but he is also walking more he has 5 less walks than he did all of last year but he looks to be on pace to be at or above where he finished last year in strike outs.

Final player I have some questions about where do you put Garfield now? It doesn't seem like he has become any more patient at the plate and his defense still looks to be rather bad.

I feel like Orlando Arcia will not only be making top 100 lists, but sliding in at the top 50 or so spots. 18 year olds aren't supposed to do what he's doing to Low A ball right now.

This kid is special. I'm all in - he'll be my number 1 prospect.

What about Tyrone Taylor who is only a half year older than Arcia who is also putting up similar numbers that Arcia is doing. I believe by next year the Brewers are going to have 3 players in the top 50-100 in Taylor, Arcia, and Haniger with a possible 4th in Jimmy Nelson depending on if he makes it to the majors this year or not. Depending on how well Roache plays this year you could see him in the top 100 or just sitting on the outside looking in. When the lists are updated at some point this year I wouldn't be surprised to see Nelson, Haniger, Taylor, and Arcia in the top 100. Maybe not all of them but I can definitely see Haniger and Taylor getting put on that list when they get updated.

What about Nick Ramirez his average is not all that great nor is his OBP all that great but he is taking more walks this year than last year in Wisconsin and it looks like his power is back with 13 HR's so far this year he is only 3 off from what he hit last year. He is still striking out a lot but he is also walking more he has 5 less walks than he did all of last year but he looks to be on pace to be at or above where he finished last year in strike outs.

Final player I have some questions about where do you put Garfield now? It doesn't seem like he has become any more patient at the plate and his defense still looks to be rather bad.

Haniger is going to have a tough time making lists based on the low ceiling. I'm similarly excited about Taylor, but Arcia gets the nod on my list due to position, age, and polish. But Taylor has potential to rise like crazy with more strong performance (or particularly with some pop in his bat).

Ramirez is a bench bat with pop and Garfield is looking like a AAAA player without the defense and patience.

I'm guardedly optimistic about Tyrone Taylor. I think there's a chance he ends up better than Roache. Taylor 2 years younger than Roache, out-playing him right now at the same level and doesn't have the injury history. He has some fantastic raw athletic ability. Time will tell of course, especially when he starts seeing nasty curve balls in AA ball (presumably next year)

Looking at Roache's swing I think he might really struggle in AA ball, but I'm rooting for him

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Assuming they sign, do Williams and Neuhaus fit into the top 10?

If I were doing a top 10, I think I'd be surprised if they weren't in it. Not sure I can name 10 guys right off the top of my head I'd have ahead of them.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Assuming they sign, do Williams and Neuhaus fit into the top 10?

If I were doing a top 10, I think I'd be surprised if they weren't in it. Not sure I can name 10 guys right off the top of my head I'd have ahead of them.

I'm just going to list guys I wouldn't put them over and see what happens:

Orlando Arcia

Clint Coulter

Victor Roache

Tyrone Taylor

Hunter Morris

Tyler Thornburg

Johnny Hellweg

Jimmy Nelson

That's 8. Williams slides in probably after these 8. Neuhaus likely is in the early teens, I still might take a few guys over him.

Archived