Brewer Fanatic

Axford, Braun, Gallardo, Lucroy, 8 others to play in 2013 WBC (Latest: Canada, Mexico eliminated)

TooLiveBrew
I really don't know what the answer is for the WBC. I mean, I think it's a great idea in theory, but it just makes me nervous. What if they did it for guys that weren't invited to big league camp? Would it still be fun? I think I'd enjoy our young guys playing and if someone got hurt, it wouldn't sting quite as bad. I guess I try to look at it like this with our major leaguers playing, they could just as easily get hurt playing in a spring game. I try not to blame the WBC on it, but it's hard to swallow.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd imagine people who follow soccer leagues felt the same way about the world cup until it became more prestigious than the individual leagues are. It's a risk but the reward is a much bigger world following. I can't help but think increasing the pool of potential players mitigates the loss of an individual player in the long run. That said it would suck if one of our guys was the sacrificial lamb to get to that point.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I agree. Regardless of whether players are possibly not going at 100% in these games, I enjoy the concept of these games and I enjoy watching them. I hope that it grows and becomes a bigger event (in the eyes of the media and public) going forward. It's very disappointing to me that baseball is no longer an Olympic sport (although not as disappointing as there not being a men's baseball program at UW). To, me it's still the greatest game there is and I would love to see it's popularity grow beyond countries in North America, South America, and Asia.

Not to hijack this thread into a general discussion of the WBC, but does anyone else find some of the eligiblity rules for this tournament a bit odd? Basing a team off of (in some cases) the ethnicity of grandparents like the Italian team does seems a bit of a stretch.

I understand what you are saying and I think Monty's reply was pretty accurate. It's kind of like when you turn on the Little League World Series and you see "Saudi Arabia" as one of the teams and think "wow, I gotta see this. I didn't know they even knew what baseball was there". Then you realize it's just a bunch of ex-pat's kids that really still play baseball in the USA.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

What happened to this rule that McCalvey mentioned in his blog?

The rules dictate that teams cannot lose more than eight members of their 40-man roster to the WBC, and the Brewers’ expectation is that they will either come close to or reach that limit.

The Brewers have 14 players from their organization playing in this thing. 11 are on the 40 man roster.

McCalvy later posted a correction: Correction on Classic Eligibility. Here's the portion of WBC eligibility rules that he quoted:

WBCI will not approve a player’s participation in the Qualifying Round if such participation would cause a Major League Club to have more than 14 players from its organization, or more than 10 of its players who were on any Major League Baseball Club’s Major League Active or Disabled List as of August 31, 2012, participate in the Qualifying Round, unless the Major League Club informs WBCI in writing that it has no objection to allowing additional players to participate. If limits of player participation from a Major League Club are reached, WBCI will choose which players will participate, guided by the principle that Teams’ rosters that have fewer available Major League players will be given priority.

Just to be sure, I confirmed with a Major League Baseball spokesperson that the 10/14 rule was in effect. He stressed that clubs can waive the limit, and that some did so for the 2009 Classic.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the timing of the WBC is off. Players and teams are going to be wary of playing during spring training because of a possible injury and missed time for the team that's paying them.

What if a player severely sprains their ankle running to 1st like Weeks did in 2011 and has to miss a couple of months? What if a pitcher gets a sore elbow? I think you would get more players participating if it took place in say December. You give them a little break from baseball after the World Series and also enough time to recover from injuries so that most injuries would be healed by the time spring training starts and even more importantly the regular season starts.

I think the timing of the WBC is off. Players and teams are going to be wary of playing during spring training because of a possible injury and missed time for the team that's paying them.

What if a player severely sprains their ankle running to 1st like Weeks did in 2011 and has to miss a couple of months? What if a pitcher gets a sore elbow? I think you would get more players participating if it took place in say December. You give them a little break from baseball after the World Series and also enough time to recover from injuries so that most injuries would be healed by the time spring training starts and even more importantly the regular season starts.

Pitchers wouldn't do it if it took place in December. They are not going to get ramped up to pitch after having only a few weeks off when they are only a few weeks from spring training. The best time would probably be right before the season starts. Middle to end of Marchish.

• 3 weeks later...
I was in Panama during the first WBC, and it was hilarious seeing all the old guys in this small town gathered in the bars, cussing out Panama's team for losing to "inferior" teams. Amazing since Panama had Carlos Lee, and that's it. It was fun to watch though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeff Bianchi (groin tightness) will not play for Italy. Link

Also, the Brewers will be watching Gallardo in his start tonight for Mexico. As long as he pitches his scheduled one inning without any discomfort, the Brewers will sign off on his continued participation. Link

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Somebody needs to pinch hit for Phillips. He's been terrible today. No contact at all.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Community Moderator
Some impressive numbers regarding the popularity of WBC so far. Attendance was 44,256 for the USA/Mexico game. MLB also reported that 1/3 of the TV sets in Japan watched the Japanese team's first round games.

Archived