Brewer Fanatic

Kelvim Escobar signed by Brewers (Released March 10)

Well, he'll be 37 in April and hasn't really pitched since 2007 (one game in 2009 in which he got injured). If this is indeed true, I'll just have to believe that Melvin and company did their due diligence. Escobar was a good pitcher "back in the day."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This makes me think of one of my favorite lines in Major League.

Board Member #1: I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.

Charlie: Most of these guys never had a prime.

Rachel Phelps: The facts are, we lost our two best players to free agency. We haven't won a pennant in over thirty-five years, we haven't placed higher than 4th in the last fifteen. Obviously, it's time for some changes.

Board Member #2: This guy here is dead.

Rachel Phelps: Cross him off, then.

he's pitched a total of 25 innings since the end of 2007 in the majors and minors

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

he's pitched a total of 25 innings since the end of 2007 in the majors and minors

Yeah but he's tearing it up in Venezuela apparently AND he's in good shape! lol

haha had no idea! just wanted to make sure everyone knew that he's barely been in MLB/MLiB in almost 5 years. I know its mainly injury-related... but thats a long hiatus from the best league in the world.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Wasn't he one of the three stud prospects for Toronto back in the day along with Carpenter? For the life of me I can't think of the third. Can someone help? I remember hoping we could swing a trade of Vina' for one of them back then.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

yeah, although unfortunately those three studs weren't all of what Toronto hoped. Halladay became a stud (but also holds the record for highest ERA in a season by a qualifying pitcher), Excobar was mediocre, and Carpenter was god awful until he had surgery, was released, and had Dave Duncan do voodoo on him

The least they could do is give him jersey no. 21, so the Escobar gear in Brewers fans' closet and in Goodwill stores throughout southeast Wisconsin could get a bit of extra life.

Edit: And, as thablingster pointed out on the twitters, the Brewers could bring back that sweet, sweet "ESSSS-cobar" sound clip.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If Escobar proves healthy & effective, this would be the pitching parallel of the Gabe Kapler signing a few years ago.

As I recall, there were times in the past when the Brewers were working hard to make a trade for every one of Toronto's "big 3" young guns. Well, it took quite a while, but we finally got one!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Even at the beginning, his chances had to be very slim. No harm in trying, but it wasn't going to happen.

I remember several years back, Jim Palmer tried to come back as a reliever. I think he was already a Hall of Famer at the time, but obviously he didn't pan out, either.

Archived