Brewer Fanatic

2013 Brewers Bench

DR28
I'd be highly surprised if Khris Davis doesn't spend more than the requisite 20 days in AAA and therefore doesn't earn a full season of MLB service time. And should that occur, it's still no sooner than at the end of the 2019 season that he'd be FA-eligible. . . . To me, worrying now about him hitting FA after 2018 seems ludicrous. Could it be an issue? Of course. But if it does become one, it likely means he's getting enough MLB playing time to stay sharp and likely means he's producing well, which would likely be in role that's needed if not vital. . . . . And if he's THAT needed that it's worth letting his FA eligibility begin at the end of the 2018 season, I think I'd also rather have him contributing than some ham-and-egger who may only be the OF equivalent of Cesar Izturis, Cody Ransom, Izzy Alcantara, or Tim Pyznarski.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I were Khris Davis I think I'd rather sit on the big league bench and collect a big league paycheck (plus per diems which are certainly not insignificant) than play every day in Nashville and collect a AAA check.

Not to mention accruing valuable service time.

For a marginal player like Davis I'm not too concerned about gaming the system. If he were Jackie Bradley or Aaron Hicks I would agree, but he is 25 and projects as a second division regular at best.

The whole board has been up in arms about all the service time Gamel accrued sitting on the bench early on and now it looks like he'll never even get to six years. I'd imagine Mat and his family are especially thankful for those big league checks he got while burning his precious service time.

The whole board has been up in arms about all the service time Gamel accrued sitting on the bench early on

I'm more upset that most of his service time has accrued while he's been on the disabled list. Next year, he's going to be in arby, and only has 240 MLB ABs. You have to wonder if the Brewers are going to pay him $1MM or so, or whether they'll just cut ties and go a different direction.

I agree on Davis. If he never leaves the MLB roster again, we'll have him through his age 30 season. I'm far more worried about service time with 23-year-old Peralta, who is a top prospect than I am about 25-year-old Davis. If the Brewers aren't worried about losing Peralta a year early, they sure aren't going to worry about service time for Davis.

I hope the best for Davis, but looking at the Brewers' roster makeup, I don't see Davis starting for the next few seasons except as an injury fill-in

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If I were Khris Davis I think I'd rather sit on the big league bench and collect a big league paycheck (plus per diems which are certainly not insignificant) than play every day in Nashville and collect a AAA check.

Not to mention accruing valuable service time.

For a marginal player like Davis I'm not too concerned about gaming the system. If he were Jackie Bradley or Aaron Hicks I would agree, but he is 25 and projects as a second division regular at best.

The whole board has been up in arms about all the service time Gamel accrued sitting on the bench early on and now it looks like he'll never even get to six years. I'd imagine Mat and his family are especially thankful for those big league checks he got while burning his precious service time.

Umm...

I think you incorrectly assumed the tone of my post. I was agreeing with you, and adding that another positive for Khris is that he's tallying service days.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Gamel should have been in AAA working on his defense if he wasn't going to play. Being completely results oriented just makes your entire point worthless. Regardless of what the player would rather be doing there is a right choice the team should be making.

I'm not sure Davis is the type of player it matters with but Gamel was that kind of player and we handled him poorly.

oh boy. the brewers could be in trouble with their thin bench.

So, what do we do if Ramirez has to go to the DL? I'd imagine Yuni/Gonzalez would play 3rd, but who do we call up? It would make sense to bring up Halton or Morris, but then how do we free up a 40 man spot?

The only non-injured position players on the 40 man are Gennett, Gindl and Prince. None of these guys fill our need, as they'd mean we'd be starting Yuni at first and Gonzalez at 3rd every night.

I'd imagine either someone (Bianchi, Green or Hart) would get moved to the 60 day, or Bianchi would get taken off the 40-man.

I really hope Ramirez is able to play. That's not an injury we can take at this time.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

My top option would be calling up Morris to start at 1B, and start Gonzalez at 3B. Yuni can stay on the bench. I'd just move Bianchi to the 60-day DL. Although Hart could possibly be put on too. I don't see a better option that calling up Morris right now. I guess Halton would be ok too though. Definitely needs to be an actual 1B.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

My top option would be calling up Morris to start at 1B, and start Gonzalez at 3B. Yuni can stay on the bench. I'd just move Bianchi to the 60-day DL. Although Hart could possibly be put on too. I don't see a better option that calling up Morris right now. I guess Halton would be ok too though. Definitely needs to be an actual 1B.

If/when Aramis goes on the dl I don't see how this isnt the move thats made. Hopefully Braun can play tomorrow at least otherwise we are going to have one ugly lineup and our #5 throwing

josh prince (on the 40-man) did start at short last night. if braun is day-to-day but ramirez placed on the 15-day disabled list, prince could provide backup in the outfield and at short, leaving betancourt and gonzalez to man the corners (not necessarily ideal, i know). if taylor green is close to being ready, prince could be a stopgap solution for a few days and optioned when green gets activated.

of course, these proposed transactions still leave the brewers with a thirteen-man pitching staff.

I think they'll bring up Lalli and create roster space by taking Manzanillo off the 40 man. Bianchi to the 60 man is another possibility. Gonzalez will play 3rd. They could also bring up Gindl and option out a pitcher. Davis looks overwhelmed right now. He's not major league ready. Schafer should be starting in place of Braun.

Yeah, a lot probably rides on how close Green is to being ready. If he's only out another couple of days, they might go with Yuni at 1B, Gonzalez at 3B for a couple of games. Of course, you'd think Green would need at least a few games in the minors to get "up to speed," so maybe this isn't a really good option.

I think you're onto something with Prince. He came up as a SS, so in this less-than-ideal situation, they may bring him up to fill in all over the infield.

Again I'll reiterate how much I hope Ramirez is okay. We have to get some news prior to today's game, as they can't go into the game with potentially a two-man bench.

~Bill Walsh

The Brewers are waiting for either Fiers or Peralta to pitch their way out of the rotation. That's when they'll go back to 12 with Narveson taking their place. Good signs at AAA too with fine starts by Thornburg and Burgos too.

Davis looks overwhelmed right now. He's not major league ready.

He certainly looked bad, but that may have been nerves, as he was jumping at pitches out of the zone. Hopefully with a start under his belt he'll calm down a little.

I'd be surprised if Braun isn't in the starting lineup today, especially if Ramirez can't go.

~Bill Walsh

The Brewers are waiting for either Fiers or Peralta to pitch their way out of the rotation. That's when they'll go back to 12 with Narveson taking their place. Good signs at AAA too with fine starts by Thornburg and Burgos too.

Injuries may dictate otherwise. If Ramirez is "day-to-day" and doesn't go on the 15 day DL, I couldn't see them play with a three-man bench. Especially when that bench would be two OF and one C.

~Bill Walsh

josh prince (on the 40-man) did start at short last night. if braun is day-to-day but ramirez placed on the 15-day disabled list, prince could provide backup in the outfield and at short, leaving betancourt and gonzalez to man the corners (not necessarily ideal, i know). if taylor green is close to being ready, prince could be a stopgap solution for a few days and optioned when green gets activated.

of course, these proposed transactions still leave the brewers with a thirteen-man pitching staff.

it is indeed josh prince. hope it's short term, with ramirez to the disabled list. not official yet.

it is indeed josh prince. hope it's short term, with ramirez to the disabled list. not official yet.

So that means Yuni is our everyday 1B and Gonzalez is our everyday 3B for the foreseeable future.

~Bill Walsh

Josh Prince was recalled, just came across Twitter and Chris mentioned it during the T-Rats broadcast.

Ramirez to the DL.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived