Brewer Fanatic

2013 Brewers Bench

DR28

Jericho, you should check that page more often. There are no "breaking news" revelations on that page because it's the same "Active Roster" they've had all spring. It started at 40 (the full 40-man at the outset of ST) and is now at 24 (the number of 40-man players still on the active roster).

They are usually quite prompt at removing players who've been sent back to the minors, traded, or released -- and similarly prompt at adding guys who've signed (that page was updated as soon as Lohse & Betancourt each were officially signed). Khris Davis is listed simply because he's on the 40-man & hasn't been optioned (yet).

In other words, it's a good page to tell you current roster, but it pretty much never tells what's going to happen, only what already has (or hasn't).

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers depth chart has Lalli listed as the primary backup at 1st and the third reserve at catcher. No mention of K. Davis.

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is." - Bob Feller

Follow me @BrewerMoose

Brewers 2013 opening day roster:

Pitchers 13

Axford

Badenhop

Estrada

Fiers

Figaro

Gallardo

Gonzalez

Gorzelanny

Henderson

Kintzler

Lohse

Narveson

Peralta

Catchers 2

Lucroy

Maldonado

INF 5

Gonzalez

Betancourt

Ramirez

Segura

Weeks

OF

Aoki

Braun

Davis

Gomez

Schafer

http://mlblogsbrewers.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/2013-opening-day-roster.pdf

The Brewers have a nice bench with Davis and Schafer not so sure on Betancourt and Gonzalez as being the RH bench bats.

The Real question now is who does Hart replace or will the Brewers just drop one of the pitchers probably Figaro or Betancourt if they decide to keep 13 pitchers would be my guess.

13 pitchers won't last long. Green will probably take the place of one of the pitchers whenever he returns. Then I'd guess Green or Davis go down when Hart returns. Betancourt isn't going anywhere, as much as some of us may want him too. Not sure what they'll do with Bianchi when he has to come off the DL.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Outside of Weeks, that's an infield that is not particularly fond of taking walks.

Does anybody know if there's a chance that Khris Davis gets some starts at 1B? You have to think he could be no worse than a combination of Alex Gonzalez and Yuniesky Betancourt.

What is the point of keeping up Davis? We all know Roenecke is going to sit him on the bench and he's not going to get any consistent at bats. Why not just let him play every day in Nashville? Blake Lalli can sit on the bench just as well as Davis can.

Why not try Braun on RF to open up our options on the team a bit? Is he that bad in LF that he would crap out in RF? I know he isn't great out there but he has the arm and athletic ability to play ok in the outfield.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Outside of Weeks, that's an infield that is not particularly fond of taking walks.

Does anybody know if there's a chance that Khris Davis gets some starts at 1B? You have to think he could be no worse than a combination of Alex Gonzalez and Yuniesky Betancourt.

Nope, Davis apparently can't play 1B according to Roenicke. Failed at it during instructionals.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I really hate having Davis on the team if he is only going to be used off the bench. That means he would likely get under 200 Plate appearences this season and that just doesn't seem like a great way to develop him.

I really hate having Davis on the team if he is only going to be used off the bench. That means he would likely get under 200 Plate appearences this season and that just doesn't seem like a great way to develop him.

He is 25, so he's getting to that point where I'm not overly worried about this. I think Roenicke puts a lot more faith in what he sees with his eyes moreso than what someone does in the minors, so this is probably Davis' best shot at getting additional PT in the future.

What is the point of keeping up Davis? We all know Roenecke is going to sit him on the bench and he's not going to get any consistent at bats. Why not just let him play every day in Nashville? Blake Lalli can sit on the bench just as well as Davis can.

As long as he stays the #1 RH bat off the bench/designated hitter/backup LF, then he should see some PA's. My biggest worry right now is that Roenicke starts using Yuni as the #1 RH hitter off the bench, and Davis never sees the light of day.

I do wonder if they'll try moving Braun over to RF in a blowout game here or there to get some more PA's for Davis. I could see Braun being fine with that, as he was excited a few years ago when he had to play RF in the All Star game, but I would've thought they'd have tried it in Spring Training. Probably much more likely Schafer will get starts for Gomez and Aoki and Davis will get most of his PAs off the bench, getting a handful of starts in LF when Braun needs a rest. The last thing the Brewers want is to screw up Braun at the plate as he's concentrating on another position.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I know it was an exhibition game, and it was just for the last few innings, but Khris Davis did get some time in right field yesterday. Perhaps the Brewers are trying to get him some more time in right field.

I'd feel a lot better about moving a bench player from left field to right field than to move our everyday starting left fielder to right field on an occasional basis.

The Brewers have said that they've been working on Davis' throwing. He could play the position in every aspect except arm strength, and at the MLB level, players would routinely take 3rd base on him. Putting him there in blowout games is probably an option, but having Schafer on the roster will probably limit this opportunity.

I do agree that I'd rather not move Braun all over the field. If Davis "proves himself" this season, I could see them considering moving Braun permanently to RF next offseason, but I doubt they'll bounce him around this year.

However it works out, I hope Davis is able to hit with sporadic AB's. It's nice to have a power RH bat off the bench.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If I were Khris Davis I think I'd rather sit on the big league bench and collect a big league paycheck (plus per diems which are certainly not insignificant) than play every day in Nashville and collect a AAA check.

Davis is not going to be just coming off the bench. If you go by Roenicke's past with Kapler and other players we should expect to see Davis play in RF or 1B from time to time. Also Davis is going to play a lot of Sunday games where either Braun or Aoki will be getting a day off. Schafer will play for Gomez on those Sunday games also. Davis is going to get his chance to play and I wouldn't be surprised if he is playing in RF more than people will want him to be playing there.

Davis is not going to be just coming off the bench. If you go by Roenicke's past with Kapler and other players we should expect to see Davis play in RF or 1B from time to time. Also Davis is going to play a lot of Sunday games where either Braun or Aoki will be getting a day off. Schafer will play for Gomez on those Sunday games also. Davis is going to get his chance to play and I wouldn't be surprised if he is playing in RF more than people will want him to be playing there.

I am more than ok with that. If he is getting starts up here and earns them I have no problem letting him play

You mean Kotsay, not Kapler, right?

I'd have no problem with Davis playing RF vs almost every single LHP. He won't play 1B at all. If he were to be given any shot there, he would've played there in spring training more than once. He simply couldn't handle the position.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Last year, the scouting reports were that Aoki would only be able to play LF, and he did fine in RF. I think starting once a week in RF, along with giving Braun a day off once a month in LF, plus pinch hitting will definitely get Davis 250-300 AB's.

You mean Kotsay, not Kapler, right?

I'd have no problem with Davis playing RF vs almost every single LHP. He won't play 1B at all. If he were to be given any shot there, he would've played there in spring training more than once. He simply couldn't handle the position.

Right Kapler not Kotsay. Sigh can't believe I put Kapler instead of Kotsay. But the point stands Davis in RF to some is like playing Kotsay in CF.

If I were Khris Davis I think I'd rather sit on the big league bench and collect a big league paycheck (plus per diems which are certainly not insignificant) than play every day in Nashville and collect a AAA check.

Not to mention accruing valuable service time.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived