Brewer Fanatic

2013 Brewers Bench

DR28
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as far as i can tell, lalli has two minor league options remaining. assuming gonzalez is the starter at first base, i'd go with this for the bench on opening day:

logan schafer

martin maldonado

jeff bianchi

blake lalli

caleb gindl

taylor green

green would be optioned after just a few games, and a reliever would be called up to take his place. lalli gets optioned when hart returns, and green replaces gindl after getting some outfield reps in triple-a.

The Brewers are talking about keeping eight relievers out of spring training. There's no way they go with six to start the season.

If we're going to use Lalli's 2013 spring #s, then shouldn't we heavily weigh the 15 MLB PA's he has in his career, with a .309 OPS? Either one of them is far to small a sample to actually matter.

In their minor league careers, which both have over 2,200 ABs, Green has hit around .050 OPS points higher than Lalli. That's a pretty significant difference in favor of Green. That said, I would not be surprised at all to see Roenicke want Lalli on the roster over Green because of his hot spring.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It sounds like Bianchi could start the year on the DL. That could be the spot that goes to the 13th pitcher. I'm not a fan of 13 pitchers though. It smacks of just a method for holding on to Rogers and hoping they find the key to his issues. Eh, Lalli or Green? I'm not sold on either but I'm not overly concerned over which one makes the team. I'd rather they pick up a guy who could play first for now and backup in the OF later and free up Gonzalez to backup in the middle infield with Bianchi hurt.

i'm definitely not a fan of 13 pitchers to start off the season. some can go unused until 4, 5, 6 or more games into the season, plus it's usual to have more off days and postponed games early on (although the brewers play six at the keg before heading to chicago and st. louis).

i realize it burns an option for either player, but i'd feel better about back-of-the-rotation guys like fiers and peralta (even though wily is slated as #3) start off optioned in the minors while the brewers carry more bench players for the initial games of the season—especially when we have the final at-bat in the first six games.

I'd start Maldonado in Nashville. He needs AB's. He's been basically a bullpen catcher for Puerto Rico.

I still don't like Alex Gonzalez as the everyday 1B either. I'm not even sure I like him on the bench. I think RR was fooled by his hot start last year. He's a 36 year old coming off a major injury and in his last full season, he hit .241/.270/.372. They should be able to find better on the waiver wire.

i realize it burns an option for either player, but i'd feel better about back-of-the-rotation guys like fiers and peralta (even though wily is slated as #3) start off optioned in the minors while the brewers carry more bench players for the initial games of the season—especially when we have the final at-bat in the first six games.

the downside to this strategy is that unless needed to replace an injured player, an optioned player must remain in the minor leagues for 10 days. the strategy i suggested would require the brewers to option fiers and/or peralta very soon so the 11th day down could be his day to start in the rotation.

what's unclear is whether or not the brewers could pull those players back over to play any of the remaining major league spring training games, or if they'd be forced to play in minor league spring training games (and thus, against lesser talent). furthermore, a rotation for nashville appears to have formed, and pitchers such as hiram burgos, johnny hellweg, tyler thornburg and ariel pena would be bumped to allow fiers and/or peralta to get their work in.

if i recall correctly, brewers previously optioned have played in exhibition games at miller park in the past, so why would the rules be any different for exhibition games being played in arizona?

I'd start Maldonado in Nashville. He needs AB's. He's been basically a bullpen catcher for Puerto Rico.

I still don't like Alex Gonzalez as the everyday 1B either. I'm not even sure I like him on the bench. I think RR was fooled by his hot start last year. He's a 36 year old coming off a major injury and in his last full season, he hit .241/.270/.372. They should be able to find better on the waiver wire.

It's not that hard to get Maldonado at-bats. He can lead off every inning in minor league games. Lucroy has done that since returning from the WBC.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Yup, I fully agree with this. As a backup infielder other than 1B, I'm fine with him on the bench, but as an offense producing need at 1B, this makes me sick to my stomach.

Hopefully RR doesn't hit him 5th in the order, because of course, that is where Hart will hit upon his return... :rolleyes (assuming Hart hits in the 5 hole, you get the picture)

I'm not sure what is on the waiver wire currently, but we have had a long time to find a fill in at 1B and we are still rolling with Gonzalez? Seriously, this just irritates me to no end. Veteran grittiness and respect can only take you so far.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

seeing that the brewers just traded for a third baseman to play at nashville, one could think that they're projecting taylor green being with the big league club and not down at nashville. there's little room for green to play at first, with halton, morris and lalli all potentially seeking playing time there.

it could also be a sign of projecting that jeff bianchi will open the season on the disabled list.

Gonzalez' value is primarily in his glove at SS. His offensive plus is that for that position, he's got pop or at least he's had pop. He's getting to an age where even that may dwindle. There's little to no value in his glove at 1B vis a vis an average guy there. The pop in his bat isn't anything special for a corner If, and he almost never walks. Plus as long as he's at first, he can't backup in the middle infield. Other than that, great choice Ron! I'd hit both Lucroy and Gomez ahead of him, but I'm still hoping they find another option.

Actually, he saw a lot of time at 1B. I'm not nearly as worried about him getting ABs as I am worried about him getting time behind the plate to "shake off the rust" defensively. But, on a positive note, his getting time at 1B can help us if it bumps Gonzalez off of first. I think Green should be our "regular" 1B until Hart gets back, with Maldonado getting some starts against lefties (he can always go to catcher from first if something happens to Lucroy mid-game).

I can see their thought process on an eight-man bullpen: Maldonado (RH) backs up C & 1B, Gonzalez (RH) backs up SS/2B/3B/1B, Schafer (LH) backs up all three OF positions, Khris Davis (RH) makes the roster as thr primary RH bat off the bench/backup LF/designated hitter (first away interleague game not until May 29). Meanwhile, Green starts at 1B, but can back up 2B or 3B with either Maldonado or Gonzalez covering first for the day. Everyone but Davis can play multiple positions, so the need for the fifth guy is more limited, especially with most of our regulars being guys who rarely take a day off.

I don't like eight man bullpens, but with Rogers out of options, they'll probably use the eighth spot to hide him for blowout games to see if he can pull it together, while getting time with the coaches on the side.

They can make a more informed decision in 15 days when Bianchi gets off the DL as to whether Green is cutting it as the everyday 1B and whether they should add a man to the bench.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

what's unclear is whether or not the brewers could pull those players back over to play any of the remaining major league spring training games, or if they'd be forced to play in minor league spring training games (and thus, against lesser talent). furthermore, a rotation for nashville appears to have formed, and pitchers such as hiram burgos, johnny hellweg, tyler thornburg and ariel pena would be bumped to allow fiers and/or peralta to get their work in.

if i recall correctly, brewers previously optioned have played in exhibition games at miller park in the past, so why would the rules be any different for exhibition games being played in arizona?

optioned players can play in "a" games during cactus league play per adam mccalvy:

The Brewers have already optioned Burgos to Triple-A, but club officials would still like to see him in a Cactus League "A" game or two. New rules allow teams to use players in Spring Training games who were previously optioned.

thus, in theory, if the brewers were to option fiers and/or peralta today, they could still get work in during cactus league games but not be on the brewers' 25-man roster until their day to pitch in the regular season.

40-man roster spots are in very short supply (none available, after lohse signs). green and bianchi need to get healthy by 1 april, or the brewers risk losing players currently on their 40-man roster to call up suitable replacements.

Yeah, they are really in a crunch now. They'll likely need to keep whoever they bump from the rotation in the bullpen just because they won't be able to clear a 40-man spot for anyone else. De Los Santos can be dropped or DL'd for one spot, but not sure what they'll do if they need a second. It's looking like Murphy and Lalli will both need to be added. Maybe they'll just say screw it and DFA Bianchi.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

discussed elsewhere, but jeff bianchi and taylor green both open the season on the 15-day disabled list.

the brewers will carry a bench of 4 or 5 players. assured spots are: yuniesky betancourt, martin maldonado and logan schafer.

khris davis, sean halton and blake lalli are still in the mix. the latter two are not on the 40-man roster, which is currently full.

With a 13-man pitching staff, a multi-position guy (Lalli) makes more sense than a 1-(very occupied)-position guy (Davis). There's just that 40-man roster issue complicating things, which will already be a factor since the 13th pitcher likely will need a spot on the 40-man, too.

I don't know if this was reported yet, but Logan Schafer will be on the Brewers bench.

Milwaukee Brewers manager Ron Roenicke openly states that Logan Schafer will be on his opening day roster, "barring something silly."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/brewers-will-use-schafer-to-cover-the-outfield-as-backup-q59ac14-200152791.html

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Milwaukeebrewers.com now has a 25 man roster up, but with only 24 men on it. Maybe it's just in between updates but Gallardo, Lohse, Estrada, Fiers, Narveson and Peralta are all listed as is Khris Davis.

It appears all finalized now. Pictures/profiles are fixed, but still stuck on 24 guys.

Only surprise-ish things are that it looks like Kintzler won that last bullpen spot, both Krush Davis & Logan Schafer made it, and that Jim is apparently henceforth to be called Jimmy Henderson.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived