Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2013

hawing
In 13 games and 48 PA's he's got a line of .132/.250/.132.

T - blush

:laughing

The fact that you can be this funny in your second (third?) language really pisses me off!

And the Gabby Sanchez intro from Hawing's video was perfect.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In that Pirates video I posted, Clint Barmes looks like he'd rather be someplace else. I like the city of Pittsburgh and PNC Park, so I appreciate the town pride throughout the video. And now that I look again, at least Wandy is wearing a Pirates t-shirt.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

He also likes to throw fits on Twitter.

“All u people who chirp when things don’t go good have never done anything in pro sport .. Ever .. So shut ur mouths #LetsGetThisThingg #jays,”

The Immortal Gregg Zaun also gave him some advice, basically saying: "If you don't like what people say on twitter, don't be on twitter", and he responded with some kind words:

“@greggzaun I should get off twitter? .. I’ll do wat I want actually .. #TakeCareNow.”

Oh, and when questioned about his first tweet (which he deleted) he came back with this gem:

“I expect a lot out of myself, but at the same time I’m not going to sit there and take all that from people that I don’t know. So if I want to say something back, I have more than the right to. Freedom of speech. People want to come at me with something then I’m not scared to say something back.”

So, for those scoring at home: You can say what you want, Freedom of speech. But you can't if it's saying it to Brett Lawrie, shut ur mouths.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I can't stand the way the guy plays, and that's without mentioning what a douche he is. He also complains demonstrably about every close call that goes against him and it's incredibly annoying. I'm about the furthest thing from old school as there is, but the guy is just an all-around jackass that has no business carrying himself the way he does. The story of his career to this point is a well-timed hot streak after his call-up, followed by out of whack (on the high side) defensive metrics due to the Jays dramatic shifting leading to him being extremely overrated by people who likely have never watched him play. Oh, and he gets hurt all the time.

Dont say anything bad about Brett Lawrie. We gave up an all-pro when we traded him. Some were calling him a sure fire All-Star. This year is obviously a small sample but he is hitting .179, with an OPS of .577. Along with that he has struck out 26 times with only 7 walks. He was a guy who stole some bases too but he has 0 this year but I guess it is hard when you are never on base. He wasnt very good last year either with an OPS of .729.

On top of all of that he is not likable at all.

Dont say anything bad about Brett Lawrie. We gave up an all-pro when we traded him. Some were calling him a sure fire All-Star. This year is obviously a small sample but he is hitting .179, with an OPS of .577. Along with that he has struck out 26 times with only 7 walks. He was a guy who stole some bases too but he has 0 this year but I guess it is hard when you are never on base. He wasnt very good last year either with an OPS of .729.

On top of all of that he is not likable at all.

He was injured last season & put up that .729 OPS in the AL East as a 22yo third baseman. I completely agree the guy is a grade A jag, but it's way too early to start sniping about what a bust he is.

And yes I am one who believes that trading him for Marcum was a waste -- not because he was traded, but because he wasn't traded in a more creative fashion (read: for a younger, longer-controlled SP). I still feel confident that he will put up enough value to make that trade look bad on the Brewers' end. And before people respond with 'without Marcum, no Greinke', please acknowledge that there's more than one way to skin a cat/trade for the caliber of SP that would've enticed Greinke...

Lawrie has stunk so far this season, and it may be fun to gloat about that, but his physical talent is undeniable.

There have been plenty of guys with great physical talent that have turned out to not be good players, though. I would be saying the same stuff about him whether the Brewers had him previously or not.

MLB history is littered with stories of guys who were immensely physically talented, but were never able to put all that talent together into a successful career. Maybe Brett Lawrie will be one of those stories. He is still young, so he could prove all the critics wrong. It's just surprising he's basically done nothing very well since his initial debut in Toronto.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Obviously there are lots of players with physical talent who never make it. What I'm saying is that it's way too early to start gloating about him & mocking people who feel his talent ceiling is really high.

I'm pissed that we didn't even shop Lawrie around and settled for an injury prone pitcher two years away from free agency.

This, as I posted previously, is the problem I have with the move as well. Believe me, it doesn't break my heart to see a jerk like Lawrie traded away.

MLB history is littered with stories of guys who were immensely physically talented, but were never able to put all that talent together into a successful career. Maybe Brett Lawrie will be one of those stories. He is still young, so he could prove all the critics wrong. It's just surprising he's basically done nothing very well since his initial debut in Toronto.

Hmm like Cameron Maybin? Delmon Young? Youre right he's headed in a path similar to those two.

I'm pissed that we didn't even shop Lawrie around and settled for an injury prone pitcher two years away from free agency.

Agreed, but on top of that the fact we gave up the 3b of the future for Marcum of which we had to sign ARam to a 36million contract or more with Option. I guess the club put too much faith in Casey McGehee being their long term option but the signs should have been there his numbers were fluky being so far higher than his minors numbers and the regression 2011 being more near normal expectation from him.

It just bothers me the money that is thrown around to ARam/Lohse/Hart/Weeks that if that money is available how come it just wasn't used in the offseason 2010 to sign a FA SP rather than trade away a long term solution at a Corner Infield spot and then using money to fill the spot he would have filled a year later? :indifferent

Do you know this as fact or is this just speculation? Unless there is some quote from Doug Melvin out there where he said "Toronto was the only team that I called about their pitching" I have a hard time believing your statement to be true. I've read on more than one occasion that Anthopoulos was after Lawrie for quite a while which means Doug had the flexibility to shop Lawrie around to other teams before circling back around to Toronto as a fallback.

Burnzy I know trwi7 is going off the fact that it was chimed in by at least one Owner or GM I believe, that he didn't even know Lawrie was available for trade talks and that he assumed Lawrie was off limits for trade considerations.

You can base it on that, that potentially the majority of the League was under that same assumption...or maybe that was just the only owner/GM who had no idea Lawrie was available. Still it means Melvin didn't shop him to all teams and potentially missed out on a better return.

Do you know this as fact or is this just speculation? Unless there is some quote from Doug Melvin out there where he said "Toronto was the only team that I called about their pitching" I have a hard time believing your statement to be true. I've read on more than one occasion that Anthopoulos was after Lawrie for quite a while which means Doug had the flexibility to shop Lawrie around to other teams before circling back around to Toronto as a fallback.

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2010/12/06/some-execs-surprised-lawrie-was-available/

If that is the quote you are basing your statement off of that is a giant leap to make. A handful of anonymous executives being surprised Lawrie was on the market hardly means that Melvin didn't shop him around at all, which is the assertion you made. First, I doubt GM's call every single team before trading a player. Secondly, we have no idea what teams those executives represented. They could have very likely worked for teams that didn't match up personnel wise with what Doug was looking for. Not every team in the league had a Shaun Marcum type player on the market that off-season and even fewer might have had a need for someone to play second base.

Archived