Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2013

hawing
Zack Greinke will fly back to LA today have elbow examined by doctors. per team twitter feed and dodgers.com

And that's why I hope the Brewers don't get in the habit of paying one player 20-30% or so of payroll. I hope Zack's alright, but had the Brewers signed him to a $100MM+ deal and he ended up on and off the DL and pitching well under 100%, we'd be screwed.

If this injury is bad enough the Dodgers will be glad that they haven't traded any of their extra starting pitchers yet. It seems like mlbtraderumors has had stories regarding one of Harang, Lilly, and Capuano for at least the last month.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoy watching Yoenis Cespedes play baseball. He was recently reunited with his mother and other family, as detailed in this article by Danny Knobler. I look forward to the day when Cuban stars are free to pursue Major League Baseball aspirations without doing so at the expense of leaving family.

Also, how about this stat: The A's went 82-46 with him in the lineup, and 12-22 in the games he missed.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
Did anyone read the piece about Jeffrey Loria in the latest issue of Sports Illustrated? It was pretty interesting. Yeah, maybe he fleeced the city and all that but what depressed me while reading it is that I was reminded once again that the FLORIDA FLIPPIN' MARLINS have two World Series titles. Two more than the Brewers have and may ever have in my lifetime.

Did anyone read the piece about Jeffrey Loria in the latest issue of Sports Illustrated? It was pretty interesting. Yeah, maybe he fleeced the city and all that but what depressed me while reading it is that I was reminded once again that the FLORIDA FLIPPIN' MARLINS have two World Series titles. Two more than the Brewers have and may ever have in my lifetime.

I've pretty much resigned myself to never seeing the Brewers win a World Series, and I'm only 32. The odds are just stacked too much against it happening.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

A co-worker and I had a discussion about this the other day. My argument is that what's more important from a fan standpoint..championships or team continuity? In my personal opinion it would be really hard to have warm, fuzzy feelings about a WS title if it was comprised mainly of a team of players that were on the team for a year or two and then gone.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Honestly, I would rather the Brewers be a consistent 85 win team with fluctutations to 90ish or 80ish depending on the season. In the current economic climate of baseball, I just want to have a team that is over .500 consistently and has a chance to make the playoffs every few years rather than focusing on winning one World Series.

Additionally, while it may be the forced model to consistently win 85 games in baseball economics, I don't want the Brewers to be the Rays either and have to sell pieces consistently as soon as they become expensive. While we may all have personal feelings towards people on the Brewers, I love the consistency of having a "team." Since 2007 we knew who will play LF Braun, 2B Weeks, RF now 1B Hart, and 2010 C Lucroy and moving forward hopefully RF Aoki, CF Gomez & SS Segura. That makes it fun to root for in my opinion and will gladly trade a World Series championship for feeling like those players are part of the Milwaukee community. Look at the Dodgers. Sure it would be nice to have their money to have kept CC, Fielder and Greinke, but do the Dodgers really have a "team?"

A co-worker and I had a discussion about this the other day. My argument is that what's more important from a fan standpoint..championships or team continuity? In my personal opinion it would be really hard to have warm, fuzzy feelings about a WS title if it was comprised mainly of a team of players that were on the team for a year or two and then gone.

To me this question goes in a different direction. To me a world series win like the one where the Cardinals won 83 games and lucked into the post season would be completely meaningless. I'd enjoy the fact we won it but I'd understand we didn't in any shape or form deserve it and I'd think we just lucked into a title while 4 or 5 better teams missed the cut. I'd rather have a dominant team that deserved to win the World Series like what we had in say 2011 than the scrubs that have actually won the WS the past 3 years which in no way shape or form actually had one of the 4 or 5 best teams in the game.

So the Reds rotation has had a few scares this week. Latos took a ball off of his leg, Arroyo took one off of his hand. Initial reports are that neither looks too serious. I bring this up because they were one of the rare teams that got full seasons out of all 5 starters last year which is very rare. I think people are probably hyping that team up a little bit too much because that isn't likely to happen and they don't have much depth at SP in the high minors.

The Cardinals have had some issues as well. Garcia is not throwing the ball well with his shoulder. Freese is having back problems. Beltran is banged up, Motte has a bad elbow and is starting on the DL. I mean the Cardinals opening day IF might include Kozma, Carpenter and Descalso. Which is a combination of mediocre to bad defense and bad hitting. Carpenter at least has some value at 2B but as a 3B he is nothing great. There isn't a big backup plan for the MI either. Wong isn't ready yet and if one of these goes down there isn't much depth to back it up.

The NL Central is a weak division and the Reds and Cardinals do not have the type of teams that are a lock for 90+ wins.

The Marlins are selling opening day tickets for half price on Groupon. Things are getting desperate in Florida...http://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-miami-marlins-1-6?utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=3640929&utm_source=rvs

To me this question goes in a different direction. To me a world series win like the one where the Cardinals won 83 games and lucked into the post season would be completely meaningless. I'd enjoy the fact we won it but I'd understand we didn't in any shape or form deserve it and I'd think we just lucked into a title while 4 or 5 better teams missed the cut. I'd rather have a dominant team that deserved to win the World Series like what we had in say 2011 than the scrubs that have actually won the WS the past 3 years which in no way shape or form actually had one of the 4 or 5 best teams in the game.

Assuming you are a Packer fan, how did you feel when they backed into a SB title as the #6 seed that only made the playoffs because the Giants punter couldnt kick the ball out of bounds?

I really, really want to attend a World Series game in Miller Park in my lifetime, I dont care about how many regular season wins we had that season. Actually a world series win as an 83 win team would make for a pretty exciting run, we would likely be in "playoff mode" from late August - late October.

Yeah, I don't care how good the team was during the regular season. If they make the playoffs and go on to win the World Series, it will be amazing.

I do care more about team continuity, though. For example, I don't understand how it is satisfying or fun to be a Kentucky basketball fan. Great, you get the best of the best recruits to go to your school to win a championship (lol 2012-2013 Wildcats) and then they leave after a year. They really don't identify with the school at all; they're just pros who supposedly delayed getting paid to play for a year.

EDIT: Not saying I wouldn't be extremely happy if the Brewers "bought" a WS title. I just would be a lot happier if they won a crown with guys that felt like "true Brewers."

I could try and disagree with you more but I would fail as it wouldn't be possible.

Several teams have gone to watch Jose Valverde throw. I have no idea if the Brewers have any interest in him at all, but just for BF.net entertainment purposes...I know what I'm hoping for...

Id be happy to have Valverde on a minor league deal. It shouldn't take much to sign him and you can never have enough arms.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Assuming you are a Packer fan, how did you feel when they backed into a SB title as the #6 seed that only made the playoffs because the Giants punter couldnt kick the ball out of bounds?

We had the 2nd best team in the NFL that year statistically. That is the last Super Bowl that actually featured two of the best teams even if the better team lost.

I could try and disagree with you more but I would fail as it wouldn't be possible.

Did you read this post out of context or did you see what I was replying to? I'd rather have a really good team win the world series even if it meant we had a bunch of players who were only on the team 2 or 3 years than having a team of all home grown guys who won 84 games and lucked into a world series win. I'm not sure how you can disagree with that so strongly.

I would take a BREWER world series win any way I could get it personally.

If that meant buying a championship, so be it.

If that meant squeaking into the playoffs as a future 3rd wild card team with an 81-81 record, then kicking butt throughout the playoffs, SO BE IT!

I don't understand the argument. Winning the world series could be a once in a lifetime chance for us Brewer fans, and there are actually people here who want to pick and choose how we win it, then devalue a world series win if it doesn't fit their ideal criteria?

Would those people root against the Brewers if we were in the world series and just got hot at the right time? I wonder if any Cardinals fans were disappointed in their WS win when they squeaked in and won it all?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived