Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2013

hawing

Ha, I was so focused on the first baseman's foot coming off the base (tough call) that I missed the throw being intercepted by another player entirely. The runner was ruled out? That's hysterical.

EDIT: Why on earth would the pitcher make a stab at that throw anyways? So close to the first baseman? Weird.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they showed on MLB tonight Nelson clearly mouthing, "It's not my fault." And I guess I don't blame him. Who in their right mind would think the pitcher would cut the throw off? Nelson is using his ears for the ball-in-glove sound vs. spike-on-base sound.

It's actually a pretty funny play.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

they showed on MLB tonight Nelson clearly mouthing, "It's not my fault."

Don't reporters get to ask umpires like one question after the game? If I'm a reporter and I saw that I go down and ask him whose fault was it?

So the 1B umpire didn't overturn his own call upon (eventually) realizing what happened? Why wouldn't he? It's pretty commonplace for an ump to signal out, then see a the ball dropped on the ground, and correct the call to safe. (Happened in a Brewers game in the last week?) The 1B ump must have realized what happened after a couple seconds ... no more than five seconds, right? Is there a statute of limitations on something as obvious as that?
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

You can see multiple looks and hear multiple calls of that missed call here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=27410615&topic_id=11493214&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_27410615&v=3

At first you can see Grimm is looking to see what's up with the runner at third after the play. Then he realizes that he got the call on the DP and he casually walks away and pretends like everything is right.

I get it that virtually nobody at this level going to willingly give up that gift, but at some level it bothers me just a little that the guys themselves can't take care of this in the most obvious cases. If they're going to accept the obviously bad calls to their advantage knowing that it's a bad call, I don't ever want to hear the players whine about the umps in connection with the integrity of the game. Integrity starts at home. The ump made a mistake, as people are going to do from time to time. Texas knowingly took advantage of an easily fixable mistake. It's telling that so many today will spend time scrutinizing the umps and not spend one second thinking about the other people who have some level of responsibility to the game.

pebadger,

I don't know about all younger people 30 - 35 and under, but among those that I know or know of, it works like this (Joe and Sam are fictional names): If Joe makes an error, and Sam capitalizes on that error and beats Joe out of a bunch of money or whatever else, Sam is perfectly justified in so doing because "it was Joe's own fault for making the mistake."

And it's not just that "Sam" feels justified. He's also justified in the minds of the rest of the crowd. Oftentimes even, "Joe" is the one that gets derided. I've seen and heard it far too many times to count. Maybe it's just that crowd in these parts, or maybe not. I honestly don't know and I don't mean to throw them all under the bus.

The fact that something like this cant be overturned without instant replay is so wrong. I don't blame him for initially blowing the call, nobody can watch the glove and bag at the same time, but there has to be some way, either just himself after he realized what happened or one of the other umps saying something, that he call can be corrected.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Ha, I was so focused on the first baseman's foot coming off the base (tough call) that I missed the throw being intercepted by another player entirely. The runner was ruled out? That's hysterical.

EDIT: Why on earth would the pitcher make a stab at that throw anyways? So close to the first baseman? Weird.

Grounder to 1b throws to 2nd recovers to 1st base in time to receive throw. Normally Pitcher covers 1b.

The fact that something like this cant be overturned without instant replay is so wrong. I don't blame him for initially blowing the call, nobody can watch the glove and bag at the same time, but there has to be some way, either just himself after he realized what happened or one of the other umps saying something, that he call can be corrected.

Yeah simply realizing two fielders were so close to the play to just ask for showing the ball to confirm the out is made.

I read that the manager didn't even know Grimm caught the ball, he went and argued the 1bman's foot slipped off the bag. I think nobody on the field except the 1bman/pitcher knew who caught the ball.

It didn't help matters that the ump immediately turned and walked away after making the call. Hopefully this will be a lesson to umps to continue to watch the play/players for a few more seconds. Obviously, this is a crazy, rare incident, but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on things rather than spinning around and walking way like, "Yup, my job is done here."

pebadger,

I don't know about all younger people 30 - 35 and under, but among those that I know or know of, it works like this (Joe and Sam are fictional names): If Joe makes an error, and Sam capitalizes on that error and beats Joe out of a bunch of money or whatever else, Sam is perfectly justified in so doing because "it was Joe's own fault for making the mistake."

And it's not just that "Sam" feels justified. He's also justified in the minds of the rest of the crowd. Oftentimes even, "Joe" is the one that gets derided. I've seen and heard it far too many times to count. Maybe it's just that crowd in these parts, or maybe not. I honestly don't know and I don't mean to throw them all under the bus.

Sums up my experience as well, with the same qualifiers.

My wife is a quality manager in an industry where quality of product is everything. And yet she struggles and struggles to get people at all levels of her organization, their suppliers and their customers to understand that it's not really the main point of her job to "catch" things that compromise quality or to babysit production and inventory. It's everybody's job to make sure that everything they do is about quality. It feels like way too many people are only worried about what they can "get away with" if it's to their short term advantage to do so. People want to win battles instead of winning wars.

Just a reminder that Brett Lawrie is hitting .261/.313/.399 over his last 645 PA and was below replacement-level for most of this season.

And now has a 4game hitting streak with a HR and 2 Dbls in it. Someone coming off an Oblique injury and having a rough start can be expected. He's warming up. I'd take a bet his WAR ends up above Replacement level by end of the season and wouldn't blink.

He wasnt very good last year either. It isnt just the injury. He has a .662 OPS in May. His fielding numbers have fallen back to reality and he simply he is hurt again. He could still turn out to be special. A lot of guys who know a ton about baseball think he will be great so maybe he turns it aroun.

Oh and he continues to be a punk.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/brett-lawrie-apologizes-blue-jays-dugout-argument-manager-221215907.html

Just a reminder that Brett Lawrie is hitting .261/.313/.399 over his last 645 PA and was below replacement-level for most of this season.

And now has a 4game hitting streak with a HR and 2 Dbls in it. Someone coming off an Oblique injury and having a rough start can be expected. He's warming up. I'd take a bet his WAR ends up above Replacement level by end of the season and wouldn't blink.

He wasnt very good last year either. It isnt just the injury. He has a .662 OPS in May. His fielding numbers have fallen back to reality and he simply he is hurt again. He could still turn out to be special. A lot of guys who know a ton about baseball think he will be great so maybe he turns it aroun.

Oh and he continues to be a punk.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/brett-lawrie-apologizes-blue-jays-dugout-argument-manager-221215907.html

Edit - And now he is on the DL again

Archived