Brewer Fanatic

What's your preferred 2013 lineup? (of players who will actually be on our team)

brewcrewdue80
Weeks' Best hitting was done from the 6th spot last year. Whether, it's him approaching ABs differently there, or Pitchers approaching how they pitch Weeks with who bats next...He was better hitting lower in the lineup, so the Stats say. It will likely be Weeks 2nd, just hope RR moves him down sooner than he did last season should he struggle out of the gate.

If you think that him hitting second was why he struggled the first half of last year, then I'm not sure what I can tell you.

He's one of the 4 best hitters on the team, and hitting him 6th would be a waste by giving more AB's to... most likely, Carlos Gomez or Jean Segura. As bad as everyone thought he was last year, he finished with a 100 WRC+, exactly league average.

Moving Gomez up to 2nd from 7th, means he gets ~100 more PA's as a result. Do you really want Carlos Gomez to pinch hit 100 times for Rickie Weeks?

I honestly don't see Gomez as a hitter higher than 7th in the lineup. Segura is a different story though and he's who I am campaigning to bat 2nd. I posted earlier I think Weeks and Hart are equal in value to a lineup and both sit imo at 5/6. I just like Lucroy more to bat 5th. I wont argue if Weeks bats 2nd, I just feel Segura suits more in the 2hole than Weeks moving forward for Milwaukee. I'd rather start that today vs. next season or 2 from now.

Honestly, there are many lineups where I see Weeks bat 2nd with Lucroy 5th followed by Weeks 5th Segura 2nd Maldonado 6/7th.

This is exactly one of the reasons why I felt trading Hart should have been priority since when looking at lineup card Weeks and him result in a 567 battle with Lucroy. and batting any of the 3 7th just seems a total waste on value. May as well just send Hart to another team returning some player of value(SP/3b) in the top minors level soon to be Bigs. Gomez could have been dealt as well assuming he's not a 7/8 batter in value produced.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's getting to be that time of year.

Aoki Aoki

Lucroy Lucroy

Braun Braun

Ramirez Ramirez

Weeks Hart

Gamel Weeks

Gomez Gomez

Segura Segura

vs. LHP until Hart gets back I'd drop Gamel down behind Gomez. He has hit LHP competently in his limited MLB experience, but I'm not sure what his MiLB splits look like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm changing my tune and officially calling for Khris Davis to get playing time at 1st base. I realize that it's not going to happen but he deserves a shot. He's got the highest OPS amongst guys with at least 20ABs. He can play 1st and also back up both corner outfield spots.

Aoki

Lucroy

Braun

Ramirez

Weeks

Gomez

Davis/Gonzalez

Segura

Bench

Schafer

Davis/Gonzalez

Green

Maldonado

Crosby

• 2 weeks later...
I would put Gonzalez in front of the pitcher. He is probably the wost hitter with no upside and he can't steal bases.

I think you just made an argument for hitting him seventh without knowing it. You want a contact hitter batting eighth who can work the count and get on base before the pitcher. I think Segura fits here. He has some speed to beat out a few ground balls (which Gonzo wouldn't) and won't strikeout as much.

A strikeout to end an early-inning so a pitcher has to lead off the next inning is like a two inning loss and to me a key situation that has to be avoid at all costs. Well, unless maybe Gallardo is on the bump. :)

They would be better off getting on base further up the order. None of those guys will work the count. Making an out in front of the pitcher isn't as bad as making that out a couple more spots up the order.

You want better hitters higher in the order. You also would prefer to play small ball with Gomez and Segura. You don't want them sitting on base while the pitcher is up.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Weeks' Best hitting was done from the 6th spot last year. Whether, it's him approaching ABs differently there, or Pitchers approaching how they pitch Weeks with who bats next...He was better hitting lower in the lineup, so the Stats say. It will likely be Weeks 2nd, just hope RR moves him down sooner than he did last season should he struggle out of the gate.

The splits might show what he's done in the past but they do NOT suggest that he should be expected to continue better or worse in certain slots in the lineup. Hell, his best split is batting 3rd. Move over Braun!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=weeksri01&year=Career&t=b#lineu

I like Segura batting 2nd now that I've seen him play longer.

Aoki

Segura

Braun

Weeks

Lucroy

Gomez

Bum 1

Bum 2

Pitcher

Obviously when Hart and Ramirez come back things will move around but at that point the lineup is so deep it probably doesn't matter who bats where, we should score a lot of runs.

How many Ks for Weeks vs HRs by Lucroy does it take to switch the two in order?

Take away the 2:2 BB/K in first 5games by Weeks and he has 19ks in 38ABs with just 3BBs. In fact Weeks K'ing so much I'd go Lucroy 4th Gomez 5th Weeks 6th at this point again in that 6th in order spot I think his K'ing profile deserves. Weeks is on his way to another .150-.189 100game run and to think he turns it around when he Ks well over 30% of his ABs is going to cost us games. He doesn't deserve a long leash to bat at the top of the order when there are far better hitters deserving to bat up in the order. Weeks is Bum 2.5 approaching bum 2.

I said it earlier he's more deserving of batting #8 just to keep that BB% up. But God forbid we let that happen when we pay him what we do to bat 8th. It's time to move on with the Weeks love it's long overdue. While I don't love Gomez at least he's trended in the right direction the last 3seasons. If Weeks is still batting under .220 and K'ing 35% or better, When Hart/Ramirez Returns whichever happens first I'd seriously consider putting Yuni at SS,Segura at 2b and bench Weeks. How's that for a Wakeup call?

There is no reason to have Weeks continue to stink up the joint at the clean-up spot.

Just makes no sense at all, the guy is next to worthless. Can't hit, below average fielder. Anything he can do at this point, Scooter can probably equal at worst.

I'm starting to think that Weeks is expendable, however, given his performance, who would want him?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

There is no reason to have Weeks continue to stink up the joint at the clean-up spot.

Just makes no sense at all, the guy is next to worthless. Can't hit, below average fielder. Anything he can do at this point, Scooter can probably equal at worst.

I'm starting to think that Weeks is expendable, however, given his performance, who would want him?

Finally someone who acknowledges Weeks' true value. Do the math. 30% or higher K rate with say 20HRs and your League Avg .300BABIP should amount to a .240 Avg at best. Weeks BABIP has declined 3seasons in row and is under .300 so far this year. He needs the 20 or more HRs just to have a shot at .240. I see no chance for him to bat higher than .230. Who would want him? All it takes is one major injury to a 2b on a contending team to place the call saying he's available.

How about flipping the Weeks' for eachother with Oakland? and pick up some of that tab owed to Weeks.

I wouldn't change anything right now because the offense in clicking, and I know this lineup will never happen, but I would love to see it.

Segura

Braun

Weeks

Lucroy

Gomez

Betancourt

Gonzalez

Pitcher

Aoki

This lineup when everyone is back.

Segura

Braun

Hart

Ramirez

Lucroy

Weeks

Gomez

Pitcher

Aoki

There is no reason to think Weeks will K at a 30% clip this year. Also who cares if he hits .240 if he walks 10% of the time and hits for power he is a well above average 2B offensively. I don't care if they move him down when he is struggling but you are going way overboard on how good or bad we should expect him to be from here on out.

There is no reason to think Weeks will K at a 30% clip this year. Also who cares if he hits .240 if he walks 10% of the time and hits for power he is a well above average 2B offensively. I don't care if they move him down when he is struggling but you are going way overboard on how good or bad we should expect him to be from here on out.

How can you so there's no reason to think he'll K at 30%? His career stands at 27%. He K'd at 28% last season. Off to a near 40% clip thus far.

The reason to keep on 2b is all about the power which to me makes sense down in the order. But as been said, he's not hitting the ball with any kind of power thus far. But I get that Power contact tends to come in bunches so I'm not going to write him off for 20HRs this season. There's no way Weeks bats .240 this season. This start alone hurts that chance very much. Heck in his career he's batted under .240 more often than over in seasons with 350+ABs.

I don't think my expectations are that far off. Putting it lightly how many other positions can he play at with these numbers? SS? C? In the OF/Corner IF spots he'd be gone by now right? If expectations are allowed to be so low at 2b then why are we waiting for Gennett to be called up? We don't care if a 2b bats around the mendoza line so long as he has a little pop. Don't care about the defense. What I care about is the 10mil being paid to him. If he was paid 6mil or less then this wouldn't be an issue. For 10mil we're not getting our money's worth and for me if another team wants to take on that money while we put Gennett at 500k up to hit mendoza line or better then that's what I would do. That's why I'm hating on Weeks so much. The moment he gets paid he's a Negative WAR player!

How can you so there's no reason to think he'll K at 30%? His career stands at 27%. He K'd at 28% last season. Off to a near 40% clip thus far

His career is 23% and he is off to a 33% this year. His single season high was 25% last year.

I wouldn't change anything right now because the offense in clicking, and I know this lineup will never happen, but I would love to see it.

Segura

Braun

Weeks

Lucroy

Gomez

Betancourt

Gonzalez

Pitcher

Aoki

Segura

Braun

Hart

Ramirez

Lucroy

Weeks

Gomez

Pitcher

Aoki

Just out of curiosity, what's the rationale behind having Braun batting second? I've always thought he was the perfect #3 hitter, and typically that's where a team's best hitter will sit in the lineup.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

For me my lineup goes like this

Right now

1 Aoki

2 Segura

3 Braun

4 Lucroy

5 Gomez

6 Betancourt

7 Gonzalez

8 Weeks

9 Pitcher

The reasons for this lineup are

Aoki (good speed good contact)

Segura (good speed and contact)

Braun (he is Ryan Braun enough said)

Lucroy (has a tradition of hitting good with runners in scoring position)

Gomez (If he keeps hitting like he is he may trade places with Lucroy)

Betancourt ( his batting has been a pleasant surprise especially in RBI situations and with speedster gomez infront of him he will have alot of chances for RBI's )

Gonzalez (got to play him no choice due to injuries good defence though)

Weeks ( IMO a Terribly overrated baseball player can't field can't throw and strikes out alot plus poor contact....but he does take alot of pitches and would be a good fit infront of the pitcher because typically 8 hitters don't usually get to see alot of good pitches)

After the injured players return

RF Aoki

SS Segura

LF Braun

3B Ramirez

1B Hart

C Lucroy

CF Gomez

2B Betancourt

Yeah no Weeks sadly at this point Betancourt is a better player than him....

Check out my MLB 2K12 mods for PC Username = Howington http://www.mvpmods.com/

Segura

Braun

Weeks

Lucroy

Gomez

Betancourt

Gonzalez

Pitcher

Aoki

Segura

Braun

Hart

Ramirez

Lucroy

Weeks

Gomez

Pitcher

Aoki

Just out of curiosity, what's the rationale behind having Braun batting second? I've always thought he was the perfect #3 hitter, and typically that's where a team's best hitter will sit in the lineup.

Because sabermetics and Bill James tells you that. The argument is locial on paper and makes sense, but I just don't agree with it. I like having two talented guys with speed ahead of Braun. How many AB's are you adding to his season vs how many opportunities are you taking away from him hitting with runners in scoring position.

I don't think moving him up one spot, especially when you have Aoki and Segura makes any significant difference.

If we're talking about TODAY my lineup would be;

Aoki(RF)-He still finds a way to get on base and his bunt hit yesterday was a HUGE play obviously with the HR that followed.

Segura(SS)-perfect #2 hitter IMO

Braun(LF)

Lucroy©

Yuni B(3B)-A shudder just went down my spine for even typing that.

Gomez(CF)-He could be #2 and Segura #1

Maldanado/Gonzalez (1st)-

Weeks-He's not hitting anything, not hitting for power. He's taking every first pitch fastball that comes his way. He'd fit in the 8 spot better than anyone else at this point IMO just to turnover the lineup.

To be honest...and I've been beating this drum hard, I'd be fine with bringing up Gennett and giving him some AB's at 2nd base.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived