Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Mike Gonzalez

Kelbysdaddy

With the signing should that complete the 40man. You're looking at a roughly 75mil team payroll. Which I enjoy the flexibility in season that gives us.

There is probably a ST type of acquisition/trade yet to come for a SP with innings eating ability. But if not, I am excited for the next season.

Why? The offense! Brewers have it set and have a good idea of where they fit in the batting order. I foresee that leading to an early season jump vs the competition who may be "feeling out" their lineups.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Gorzelanny and Gonzalez on the team, and the rotation pretty much set, I think we will see Narveson get DFAd sometime in the near future.

Given that the 2013 rotation is currently a giant slot machine, parting ways with an established back-end starter is the last thing they should do. If we're shooting the moon on reliability/durability, at the very least we need lots of depth.

Considering the price it is almost impossible for this to be a bad deal. I'm a little worried about the rotation still but the team is shaping up to be a pretty decent bunch. We still need to get some luck or breakouts to have a real shot at the playoffs and hopefully that comes from a hot start or we'll end up selling mid season.

With the signing should that complete the 40man. You're looking at a roughly 75mil team payroll. Which I enjoy the flexibility in season that gives us.

There is probably a ST type of acquisition/trade yet to come for a SP with innings eating ability. But if not, I am excited for the next season.

Why? The offense! Brewers have it set and have a good idea of where they fit in the batting order. I foresee that leading to an early season jump vs the competition who may be "feeling out" their lineups.

I think I agree with most of your points, BCD80, except the 40-man was already full after the Gorzelanny signing, meaning a corresponding move is still coming. (... unless you were suggesting this was possibly the last (needed?) addition to the 40-man, but I wasn't sure since your 2nd paragraph also predicts a possible spring training SP addition...)

I agree w/ Mass Haas that Leon's a likely guy to go, though I've also wondered about M. De Los Santos.

I think I agree with most of your points, BCD80, except the 40-man was already full after the Gorzelanny signing, meaning a corresponding move is still coming. (... unless you were suggesting this was possibly the last (needed?) addition to the 40-man, but I wasn't sure since your 2nd paragraph also predicts a possible spring training SP addition...)

I am thinking it's done for now. The 2nd paragraph is more with 75mil and say 5-10mil to spare on a potential ST/Start of season add-on. From a waived SP? among a team with too many to fit him and no options? Something in those lines where a player is released by a team with no use for them but we can.

Short of robbing another team blind in a trade this has been about the best offseason I could imagine. Find a bunch of decent lower cost bets to plug the bullpen holes and maintain the flexibility to cycle through all of the young pitchers we have to figure out what works. All while maintaining a solid base of position players. In a very good position for Doug to react to how the season goes and make adjustments rather than over committing one way or another.

Narveson was on the radio pregame the last week of the season and he was already throwing. He was well ahead of schedule. All rotator cuff injuries/surgeries are not the same. Most likely, he had a partial, not a complete tear. Recovery from surgery for partial tears is a lot more certain. The catastrophic rotator cuff tears happen because guys continue to pitch. That's what happened to Pete Vuckovich. He won a Cy Young with one that was probably worse than what Narveson had. Narveson alerted the Brewers after a little extra soreness after his last start. He probably could have kept pitching, but he had shoulder issues in the minors and knew he needed to say something. The surgery should prolong his career, not end it. A lot of pitchers have slight tears and still are able to pitch. If the Brewers weren't relatively confident in his return, they would have just non-tendered him. Trust me, their trainers are monitoring his progress and Melvin is getting their reports. Just because it's not being reported by anyone is no big deal. They also would be more aggressively looking for a starter. I not only expect him back but I expect him to be in the rotation.

Short of robbing another team blind in a trade this has been about the best offseason I could imagine. Find a bunch of decent lower cost bets to plug the bullpen holes and maintain the flexibility to cycle through all of the young pitchers we have to figure out what works. All while maintaining a solid base of position players. In a very good position for Doug to react to how the season goes and make adjustments rather than over committing one way or another.

Great post, sums it up perfect. Don't always have to spend or make a big trade to have a good offseason.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

they signed grilli knowing he was going to be the closer. they knew they were trading hanrahan

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Don't under-estimate Narvy. With this signing, I see Narvy (so long as he can prove himself healthy in ST) getting the 4-5 starting position. He is a veteran and one who was looking pretty good prior to the injury. Hopefully, he can pull a Capuano and return to gold...

I'm still a little nervous about the 8th inning. Now they can mix and match with Henderson, Kintzler, and the 2 lefties but who exactly is the 8th inning guy?

Having no 8th inning guy would be the best thing for the bullpen.

Not going to complain about essentially a no-risk signing, but it's hard to get excited about another bullpen signing when the rotation isn't currently good enough to win.

i don't think he is anything more than a LOOGY, i don't think Ron will do that unless Gorzelany is hurt or ineffective. Ron is a numbers guy and they speak for themselves, 170 against lefties 297 against righties. The concern is that if Henderson and Axford and are ineffective or hurt, he may lean to his closing experience, which i'd hate. The pen will be young I think so if Axford falters, their won't be many options unlike 2011.

His year to year splits are just so goofy I don't think you can count on him being any certain type of player. The samples with RP are so small they are almost useless so scouting is going to be key more than anything as much as people don't like that line of thinking.

Ditto, RobDeer45. Seemingly very wise moves at very reasonable contract figures.

Hard to argue w/ Melvin's BP "extreme makeover" . . . Badenhop for Mondesi jr. was outstanding! Adding Gonzo & Gorzo plus all the addition-by-subtraction . . . Doug Melvin's done dang good work! With Nyjer the only noted offensive subtraction (and where only a tiny something-else might even be needed), there wasn't much to be done to the offense (though again we're still only half-through the offseason). And it wouldn't surprise me to see another move snuck in here or there (Gonzalez or just maybe Figgins for the bench, just maybe the right bargain-rate SP, or something else little-suspected and late which would also mean probably inexpensive ... all very "signature" type moves for Melvin!).

I love with Melvin that it's often not about splashy moves, just the right ones, and he's built quite a track record of success that way here in BrewTown!

His year to year splits are just so goofy I don't think you can count on him being any certain type of player. The samples with RP are so small they are almost useless so scouting is going to be key more than anything as much as people don't like that line of thinking.

A near 900 OPS against righties the last two year is a major concern, that is large enough for me.

A near 900 OPS against righties the last two year is a major concern, that is large enough for me.

in 2007 and 2008 he was just awful vs LHP and that obviously didn't mean much. In 2012 we are talking all of 75 PA each way, that is like judging a starter by a 4 start stretch. You just can't read much into RP splits, especially RP who aren't healthy and don't pitch a full season. His last full healthy season he was fine vs RP so if he is healthy and he is pitching well there is no reason to turn him into a LOOGY. They pretty much have to take a wait and see approach.

Archived