Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Mike Gonzalez

Kelbysdaddy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good pickup, especially for 1 year/$2.25MM. Melvin seems to have done a pretty good job re-building a mess of a bullpen with limited money to spend.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

i feel the brewers have been trying to get him from years, nice to finally have him in the fold.

its possible doug could get someone else, but with a full 40 man, i doubt it and they would try to get a starter if anything. but i would guess the pen would be as of now:

Badenhop (LR)

Kintzler

Gonzalez

Gorzelanny

Henderson

Axford (CL)

Thornburg / Stinson / Olmsted/ Pena

nowhere as good as 2011's pen but much better than last years on paper atleast.

How cool! I really like this signing! I couldn't care less what arm any of our relievers throws with as long as they get guys out and don't give up many runs (see: problems of 2012 BP), but signing both Gorzelanny & Gonzalez can't hurt. Narveson, at whatever point he might make the roster, would raise the LHP count to 3.

So let's see...

Rotation:

Gallardo, Estrada, 3 of Fiers/Rogers/Peralta/Narveson/Burgos/Thornburg

Bullpen:

Axford, Henderson, Kintzler, Badenhop, Gorzelanny, Gonzalez, and 1 of Fautino DLS/Olmsted/Sanchez/Hellweg/Stinson plus anyone who doesn't make the rotation

3 other things I like about this situation now:

1. Many pitchers in that mix still have options left, so there's room for decent flexibility

2. There's also now some very substantial & promising pitching depth at the top of the Brewers' minors... No budding #1 starters yet, necessarily, but still good depth.... And that list doesn't even include the likes of Jungmann, Bradley, Nelson, Bucci, etc.

3. This also means Narveson's comeback would be a bonus rather than a critical piece going into ST.

I'm still a little nervous about the 8th inning. Now they can mix and match with Henderson, Kintzler, and the 2 lefties but who exactly is the 8th inning guy?

Pretty sure it's Henderson's role to lose. Who I think is better than his time in 2012 showed.

I like your thinking even though I have no clue what that second sentence even means.... ;)

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Man... I love this bullpen Doug put together!!

Axford

Henderson

Gonzalez

Kintzler

Gorzelanny

Badenhop

Whoever doesn't make the Rotation as LR

With this bullpen, we will compete in the NL especially with the Offense we have!!

Melvin lies in wait, and then scores two lefties for the price of jason grilli...well done good sir

Agreed, and that's huge. JMO, I believe Grilli was pretty overrated in FA.

As for Gonzalez, great deal and solid signing. I read in a separate blog that the Nats were actually trying to resign him.

With Gorzelanny and Gonzalez on the team, and the rotation pretty much set, I think we will see Narveson get DFAd sometime in the near future.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

With Gorzelanny and Gonzalez on the team, and the rotation pretty much set, I think we will see Narveson get DFAd sometime in the near future.

What the heck is going on with Narveson's recovery? That injury he had was pretty severe (torn rotator cuff). It can be a nagging injury as well. Should he really be counted on in a significant role in 2013? I'm not so sure.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I read in a separate blog that the Nats were actually trying to resign him.

According to Jim Bowden on Twitter (linked from MLBtraderumors.com), the Brewers outbid both the Nats & the Reds. That makes it feel like a double-edged victory on two different fronts!

Archived