Brewer Fanatic

Pirates To Sign Francisco Liriano

torts
Pirates To Sign Francisco Liriano

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 21 at 9:38am CST]

The Pirates have agreed to sign free agent left-hander Francisco Liriano to a two-year, $14MM contract, La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports. The deal will be finalized once the Legacy Sports Group client passes a physical.

Liriano pitched for the Twins and White Sox this past season, posting a 5.34 ERA with 9.6 K/9, 5.0 BB/9 and a 43.8% ground ball rate in 156 2/3 innings. It marked the second consecutive season that Liriano pitched to an ERA above 5.00 while walking 5.0 batters per nine innings. His last standout season came in 2010, when he posted a 3.62 ERA with 9.4 K/9 and 2.7 BB/9, generating some Cy Young votes.

However, as a hard-throwing 29-year-old left-hander (his fastball averaged 93 mph in 2012) with a history of success at the MLB level, Liriano was definitely going to draw interest as a free agent. The Mets and Twins were also linked to him this offseason.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

If the Brewers were going to sign a FA, Liriano was at or near the top of my list. When he's right, he can be very, very good and I would have taken that gamble that he'd do it enough to justify a fairly modest deal by starting pitcher standards.

The other guy I liked was McCarthy, and he's taken now too.

This is going to be a boom or bust pick up for them. Best case is probably like a 3.5 ERA type pitcher; worst case is probably really really bad and a complete waste of $14 Million. The K/9 is pretty nice but that walk rate is horrendous; his reputation still seems to be bloated due to the fantastic 2006. He has been pretty mediocre if slightly above average since. I guess $7 Million a year probably buys league average nowadays.

Well, if there's a park for a LHP to "get things straightened out," it's PNC.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

One of the most overrated pitchers in MLB. He's basically Manny Parra and he gets 14 million dollars....

It is hard to give up the dream of talent for organizations even when injuries derail that talent, especially when the players get back the velocity but not the control/movement. Parra was never the same after his injuries and Liriano has never been the same either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

He's been fantastic this year. The strikeouts are up (though not what they were when he was dominant back in 2005 and 2006) and the walks are way down (again not like 2005 and 2006).

His season so far reminds me a lot of his 2010 season. Fantastic signing by the Pirates.

I think his injury and start in the minors this season helped him get back in form for his return to the rotation. there was no real rush to bring him back, he's in a really good position right now.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. The comparisons of Liriano to Parra were ridiculous. In his worst seasons, Liriano allowed fewer hits than innings. In his best season Parra allowed 181 hits in 166 innings. Parra has never recorded a WHIP under 1.5.

Liriano is getting paid $1 million this year. He's likely going to cost them $8 million next year. Not bad return for 2 years, $9 million. He was the perfect low risk, high reward guy out there. That kind of opportunity doesn't come around too often. The Brewers, as is their custom, opted to pay a premium for what they considered a low risk.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I hate to say I told you so.

No you don't.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I hate to say I told you so.

No you don't.

Ok, you got me! Still, the satisfaction I get out of being right on the money on Liriano, is more than offset by disgust that the Brewers didn't seem interested in him. Maybe they were, and he just preferred the Bucs, who knows? But for me, it wasn't a tough call. Despite his less than stellar numbers the last few years, he would occasionally toss in an absolute gem. So the ability was still there. It was a reasonable risk well worth taking.

Archived