Brewer Fanatic

Tech help needed...

Nottso
Hopefully, the new one does the trick. If it doesn't, a more central location on the main floor might help. But if a different location is obtrusive or obnoxious looking, or if your office computer needs to be hard wired, it wouldn't be that pricey to add a unit to extend the network.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd recommend a linksys E3200 dual band wifi router and if you need it a RE1000 range extender (also from linksys). Have a 2000 foot ranch house built in 1925 (with plaster and real wood reducing the signal) and i get the best coverage with the linksys, but need an extender because my access ppoint is in a corner. I have had Dlink, netgear, and linksys in the last few years and have been happy with both dlink and linksys. I returned the netgear as it performed worse than either of the other two.

I bought the Linksys/Cisco EA4500 on eBay (from Cisco) and am completely happy with it. I get my full 100mb through it and the range is incredible. Everything works, everywhere in the house as well as the garage, even with the router located at one extreme end of the house.

Hey guys. The new router is working great thus far. Thanks to xixxisxis for the recommendation. I was able to actually download a system update on my downstairs PS3 and stream some Netflix yesterday (two things I couldn't do because of limited signal from the old router).
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to copy a bunch of dvd's w/ about 4 gb of information to a folder on my desktop. However, I keep getting an error on some of them when about half way through copying that says, "data error (cyclic redundancy check)", any ideas to work around this problem? Thanks.

That usually is a sign that the HDD is going bad..... I'd run the windows check disk utility on it asap.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Dumb question here. I'm trying to figure out if I can connect my laptop to my HDTV; the problem is that my laptop is older and only has VGA and S-Video out, but my TV is new and only has HDMI and Component video in. My understanding in reading the reviews of the VGA-to-HDMI cables for sale on Amazon is that in most cases these cables don't work; the graphics card has to be able to send a digital or component signal out through the VGA port. I've spend the past hour and a half searching the internet and have not been able to figure out whether my laptop can do that. It has an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.40GHz processor with Integrated Graphics; I believe it has the GMA X4500HD graphics card.

If anyone would happen to know the answer, or where I could find the answer, I would greatly appreciate letting me know. Thanks!

Ok, seen a lot of router recommendations in this topic and hoping for one more that may not be as pricey. We have HughesNet Satellite internet service which one a great day is 10 Mbps so we certainly don't need anything top of line. I would like something that should share the signal throughout our 2100 sq. ft. split level home.

I currently am using a 7 year old Linksys WRT54GS wireless G broadband router that I have to unplug and reset every two or three hours to hold a wifi connection. I had tried a new TP Link 3G/3.75G wireless lite N router for a couple of months and that didn't work for us at all even compared to my old Linksys. I should have known better but I tried it for cheap of a deal of the day site and it just didn't cut it.

I don't need anything overly fancy, we connect with 1 laptop, 1 PC in the basement office, 1 PS3 in the basement and our 2 Iphones. I would like to be able to spend somewhere under the $50 range if it is something that is worthwhile. If there's not anything good that anyone would recommend in that range we could spend more but would really like to keep it under $100 max.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I did a search using "laptop VGA output to component" and this was the first thing to pop up. Is it along the lines of what you're looking for?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=371903&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Well, no, Amazon has the cables but the problem is whether the graphics card can send digital signals through the VGA port. If it can't then the cables won't work.

I don't see why not. There's a reason it was installed in the first place.

Be aware that you may have to use a Function-F? key to use this feature. (The F-Key to use varies by model. Look for something that looks boxy like a screen. It's called monitor switch.) It should switch between 3 modes: display on laptop screen, display through VGA output, display to both. I imagine most of the problems people were having were not knowing this existed. I had to look this up in the manual when I was having problems doing this with my first laptop.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

The problem is that VGA-out is analog and HDMI-in is digital. I have hooked up laptops to projectors many times and used the Function key to toggle the display, but the problem is that the laptop has to send a digital signal out of the VGA port. Most of the reviews of these cables on Amazon say that is not possible with most laptops, and to not buy those cables thinking you can hook a laptop up to a TV. The reviews say you need to have some type of analog-to-digital converter, and the converters (which start around $30) have mixed reviews as well.

I think the cheapest and most reliable way to do this is to get a docking station that has a DVI port, and then get a DVI-to-HDMI cable. The conversion to a digital signal is in the docking station.

Louis, the best option might be to do s video to hdmi. These items:

New 3 RCA Composite S-video R/L Audio to HDMI Converter

by sunvalleytek

Etekcity® Composite RCA video AV S-video CVBS to HDMI Converter,S-video R/L Audio to HDMI 720P / 1080P HD Upscaler DVD CD HDTV

by Etekcity

@ Amazon have good reviews and are probably cheaper than a dock ($40-47). You will also need an audio out to r/l cable that are ~$4. The 2nd, unreviewed item has better hdmi out specs....

• 2 weeks later...

Serious question, please don't laugh. Had the desktop taken in to have some malware removed. Got it back and now I can't get any sound.

Volume icon in the taskabr is enabled.

Thanks.

Serious question, please don't laugh. Had the desktop taken in to have some malware removed. Got it back and now I can't get any sound.

Thanks.

First things first, are the speakers plugged in correctly, turned on, and can you test them with something else to be sure they are working (an ipod, or a radio, or anything).

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I can't get any sound.

Thanks.

First things first, are the speakers plugged in correctly, turned on, and can you test them with something else to be sure they are working (an ipod, or a radio, or anything).

I powered up my laptop and the speakers worked fine off that.

My first thought was the driver. However, it worked fine before last week. Should I uninstall and re-install? What would cause it to fail?

I've had this issue before with an old XP computer. I popped the device manager open and removed the installed sound card. Reboot the computer and the computer should recognize the "new" sound card and automatically install the drivers. Problem solved.

If they started messing with the bios when they removed the malware, it very well could have caused the drivers on your sound card to stop working properly...not entirely sure without knowing the specifics.

A follow up: took it back to the shop, sound worked fine there. The only thing I did different when I brought it home was plug the speakers in *prior* to powering up and the issue was solved.

• 7 months later...
Everything is running great but kind of bummed airplay is not compatible with older macs! Dumb.

My 2008 MacBook Pro is suddenly using Airplay. It really threw me because I didn't know what was going on until I poked around both in iTunes and on my Apple TV.

At least at this point, I've stopped Airplay from happening by default by shutting it off on the Apple TV. I should be able to control it on the Mac end, though, as shutting it off on the Apple TV end would also prevent me from using it from my iPad.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Looking to buy a new computer/laptop, mine is done. I would like to finally get a MacBook but I think I need to wait until after I graduate in May. Anyway I found four options on NewEgg that I am debating, any advice would be appreciated. I just use my computer for a few school things at home and surfing the web and don't really need a laptop, but I wouldn't be against one either. I plan on installing a linux OS on whatever I get and try to learn some programming in the future, but just as a hobby. Here are the four I'm looking at, 2 PC's and 2 laptops:

Lenovo H520 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883265703

Acer Veriton http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103837&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL120313&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL120313-_-EMC-120313-Latest-_-DesktopPCs-_-83103837-L020D

Lenovo IdeaPad http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313589&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL120313&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL120313-_-EMC-120313-Latest-_-LaptopsNotebooks-_-34313589-L020B

Lenovo G505 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312827

A laptop is more portable and comes with the UI already.

Are you going to dual boot or just run linux?

Do you know what programming language(s) you would like to learn?

I don't know much about AMD processors. I would only buy a 64 bit machine. I would want 8GB RAM, but 4GB would work and easily upgraded. I also wouldn't care about hard drive space. You can save to the cloud or cheaply purchase an external drive.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived