Brewer Fanatic

Marcum

Anibal Sanchez - S - Tigers

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Tigers have upped their offer to Anibal Sanchez.

What's not clear is if they've sweetened their four-year offer or given the fifth year that Sanchez wants. The Cubs have offered the right-hander a five-year, $75 million deal, but he'll re-sign with the Tigers if they agree to match the offer. Sanchez seems likely to make a decision sometime Thursday.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Sounds like Cubs are signing Sanchez. Game on. Lol. But seriously, their rotation will actually be decent now. A combo of Sanchez and Garza at the top is better than what we currently have.

Yes, but that offense is putrid. They are the anti-Brewers.

I know that. I was just saying their rotation may arguably end up being better.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Marcum certainly seems to be getting the Melvin freeze-out. This makes me think one of two things... either the Brewers are concerned about his arm holding up or he burned a bridge somewhere. Doug usually plays it close to the vest, but when he comes out and says he's not interested in a particular player, that pretty much tells me it's not happening.

Agreed with the above. It's very telling that DM has been so candid about his zero interest in Marcum. And although Marcum is a vet presence, his health is too unreliable for the position the Brewers are in. At this stage, Marcum is every bit as unknown as the youngsters that would get a shot in the rotation.

Any deal for Marcum would be penny wise, but pound foolish.

Marcum makes little sense for the Brewers. You have to put his expected inning total at around 120. That is just too low for what the Brewers need.

Actually if that is a half a season of 7 innings per game before his shoulder/arm gives out, I would take it. By then, we possibly could have 2-3 young guys that could finish the season and be within innings pitched.

It is the 5 innings a game pitcher that kills the bullpen.

However, I doubt Marcum is that 7 inning guy anymore. But if he can be something and signed on the cheap and not toast the bullpen.....

Disciples of Uecker had a blog post after Marcum's comments. In it, it talks about the Brewers having the best Health/medical history in MLB dealing with Pitchers. Something they came out with was that TJ surgery recipients tend to blow out their arm again at year 6. With Capuano/Wolf as being examples. It appears Marcum had TJ in 2008? which indicates to our staff that He's due for a blow out. Add the elbow issues of 2012 and aside from a 1year deal, he's beyond risky. Case closed on Marcum!

Well, I don't know exactly why, I can presume that statistically speaking maybe the history is profound to break down around year 6 after a TJ. But if it doesn't break down beyond 7,8 years then it's okay?

Speaking of 1year deals, 1year deals make sense on just about every free agent. But that's not what the asking is likely for. In regards to Marcum after last season's injuries, 1year could be disastrous to his value with a return of said TJ, or injuries, or lack of performance. He has to be looking at his value being higher to ask for 2 or more years of guaranteed money over the risk of 1year. Brewers front office just not looking to commit. I can imagine his asking price being 8mil-10mil/yr currently. That too has to be weighing in making him an offer or not. On Marcum's side I've got to believe he can just wait it out for the 2 or more years deal all the way up to beginning of Spring Training. He will easily be signed by somebody for 1year by then at his asking price. It's just better on him to seek longer and maybe someone does it.

• 2 weeks later...

Melvin has looked around and knows that arms will be available in spring and during the season. Teams that have brought guys in will need to trim guys. If he knows Marcum is looking for X dollars, and he's not interested at that level now, why bother? The Brewers are not lacking in number of starting candidates. A lot are younger/less experienced and they likely want them to get a full look in spring. Bringing in second and third tier vets now only clouds their decision making on their other guys.

If they get to the last week of spring training and they don't feel comfortable with their rotation, they'll deal for someone.

Marcum apparently looking for a 2 year deal in the 2/12 to 2/16 range.

If Doug Melvin passes that up I will not be happy (unless Marcum has horrible medicals).

Marcum makes little sense for the Brewers. You have to put his expected inning total at around 120. That is just too low for what the Brewers need.

Why? His innings pitched in the last three years has been 195, 200, 124. He's no ironman but I wouldn't just assume he could only go 120 innings in 2013.

Marcum apparently looking for a 2 year deal in the 2/12 to 2/16 range.

If Doug Melvin passes that up I will not be happy (unless Marcum has horrible medicals).

Obviously DM sees very little value in bringing Marcum back, even at that number. Clearly, several other MLB teams feel the same way.

Archived