Brewer Fanatic

Marcum

Why would it be? I think if teams are scared off we should definitely jump in and get him on a 1 year incentive boosting type deal. Let Shaun re build his resume for a team where he likes it. Do each other a favor for next year.

I agree... I want either Shaun or Edwin Jackson slotted behind Yo in the Rotation for 2013.

If he's willing to do a one or two year deal, I'd be all for it at this point in the game, as long as he can pass a physical. When healthy, he's proven to be just as good if not better than any of the other free agents out there. I'm really surprised that Kansas City hasn't jumped in on him. Since he's from there, it seems to be a natural fit. Actually, the more that I think about it, it almost raises some red flags. Seriously, they gave Jeremy Guthrie that much cash and showed no outward interest in Marcum?

The point was that I posted that from my phone. I didn't see the initial post correctly. Wasn't trying to correct anyone there.

Sorry wasn't questioning your point was questioning the point as why would Marcum even bring this up. This is kind of like saying the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning. There really is no point in him saying this. Of course he would be interested in coming back to Milwaukee I am not even sure why anyone would even ask him a question if he would or would not. Why would you limit yourself from a team especially if you are in Marcum's situation?

Nate, while of course technically it was a possibility all along, to essentially suggest it was a "duh" type of news item seems to ignore the obvious facts & circumstances of the situation....

As with Sheets and other folks, Marcum was somewhere between perplexed & maybe even a bit insulted that the Brewers had NO conversations with him last winter about a contract extension even though he was open to one. . . . It was evident all along that the Brewers were letting him get to FA and he was looking to get to FA. And since FA began this winter, Marcum's only been "connected" to other teams and MIL's only been pursuing other SPs. There was no reason to assume let alone believe that either side was open to a possible reunion until this nugget came out from Marcum himself, which is why it's newsworthy, esp. on a board like this one.

Sorry wasn't questioning your point was questioning the point as why would Marcum even bring this up. This is kind of like saying the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning. There really is no point in him saying this. Of course he would be interested in coming back to Milwaukee I am not even sure why anyone would even ask him a question if he would or would not. Why would you limit yourself from a team especially if you are in Marcum's situation?

He was asked directly about his situation regarding Milwaukee. I'm not sure he knew what to say.

Both sides clearly have had different views on Marcum's value. As teams that might have seemed like obvious destinations like KC and the Cubs have filled spots with others, his value has taken a hit. He's now bordering on falling into the bargain bin. What's left there are the Miamis, Houstons, Pittsburghs, and Minnesotas, none of which seem like contenders. That leaves cash strapped Tampa Bay, and more financially sound Brewers as contenders that could be interested for the right price.

If he's healthy (the Brewers should know), Marcum on a one-year, incentive-laden deal is about the best situation I can envision for the Brewers' 2013 rotation. I figured the ship had sailed, but maybe if no one is offering the deal Marcum wants, he'll be willing to sign with the Brewers. That would be a low-risk, high-reward signing, which could get us a good "bridge" to 2014, when we should have enough homegrown pitchers to fill the rotation without too many innings-limit worries.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If he's healthy (the Brewers should know), Marcum on a one-year, incentive-laden deal is about the best situation I can envision for the Brewers' 2013 rotation. I figured the ship had sailed, but maybe if no one is offering the deal Marcum wants, he'll be willing to sign with the Brewers. That would be a low-risk, high-reward signing, which could get us a good "bridge" to 2014, when we should have enough homegrown pitchers to fill the rotation without too many innings-limit worries.

That is a perfect option!! Shaun would fit beautifully behind Yo as our #2.

gotta think Marcum has to still be in the mix... with numbers like this over two years in Milwaukee, Melvin would be straight up mental to not consider him if medically he's okay. of course, Melvin knows better than we do about Marcums makeup in terms of his health and conditioning... but if someone came up to me and just rattled off these numbers and said "1 year, $10 million with optional 2nd year" i'd say "wheres the pen?"

20-11 with a 3.60 ERA, 267 K, 98 BB, 1.198 WHIP, 7.4 K/9, 2.7 BB/9 over 54 starts.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

That leaves cash strapped Tampa Bay, and more financially sound Brewers as contenders that could be interested for the right price.

I agreed with most of your analysis but this part I quoted. Why would TB have any interest in any FA pitcher when they are loaded with young, cheap, and talented impact starting pitching from their farm system? They literally have 4 internal options to replace Shields and/or Niemann in house in Odorizzi, Cobb, Archer, and Colome not to mention I bet Montogomery figures it out as well. They are also loaded behind those guys with Guerrieri tearing it up in his debut and a couple of nice LH starting pitchers in the pipeline.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I don't get why Doug isn't at least talking to him. When healthy he performed at a 2/3 level. It seems like he'd only be looking for a 1-2 year deal and it would be cheaper than Demster. It seems strange to just not even call the guy given what we had to give up to get him and how well he pitched when he was here.

Mlbtr has Melvin as saying after Dempster, they're only after relievers. Which would close the book on Marcum, as I thought they did when letting Marcum go on FA. I'm fine with that. All these concerns on our young arms and innings pitched. Marcum scares me when he hits 150in. 2011 he lost it completely at 175innings. Now after injury 124innings I just fear at start 22 and beyond him going out there for 4-5innings and 3-7runs given up. Then the injury risk does he get 21+starts?

I think Melvin is doing the right thing by not playing the lottery this FA. There may be something to our prospect pitchers they have their eye on and feel confident using them.

I said somewhere before, save the money break Spring training with a rotation figured out of the young guns. The offense should keep us around .500. Around the all-star game to trade deadline, there will be a better idea of what needs to be pursued if any.

[language deleted --1992] Doug!! What a shame... You better pray to God that this young Rotation doesn't suck in 2013... We have the BEST offense in the NL and your going to waste it!! Looks like that offense will have to get us 6-8 runs every game!!

Well, I guess when you spend 80-90% of your money on position players, generally refusing to let a young non-elite prospect see the field or trade expensive players away even when it may seem logical, you are going to have to hope the expensive guys you've got can do a good job, as there's no money left over for pitching.

I agree that I'd like to see Melvin dig around to find Marcum or some other vet looking to regain value on a one-year deal. I don't think Melvin is shutting the door on all remaining options, but on the surface it looks goofy that Dempster was our all-in guy, and if that didn't work out we were going to spend the money on a couple of so-so relievers and hope for the best. Since I have more faith in Melvin than that, the next move would seem to be a trade of some sort.

That either means trading prospects for a guy with 1-2 years of team control remaining, or our trading a vet for prospects. I hope we don't do the former, but as to the latter, recent events could open up the possibility of Melvin trading away Gomez or Hart. The Upton deal shows teams are willing to pay big money for slugging, good defense CFs, so that ups Gomez's value. The Choo trade shows that a player who could be called similar to Hart can bring a Top 10 prospect in trade. The Dempster signing gets Melvin's attention turned away from apparently the only FA he was interested in.

We'll see where it goes from here.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

[language deleted --1992] Doug!! What a shame... You better pray to God that this young Rotation doesn't suck in 2013... We have the BEST offense in the NL and your going to waste it!! Looks like that offense will have to get us 6-8 runs every game!!

Well, I guess when you spend 80-90% of your money on position players, generally refusing to let a young non-elite prospect see the field or trade expensive players away even when it may seem logical, you are going to have to hope the expensive guys you've got can do a good job, as there's no money left over for pitching.

I agree that I'd like to see Melvin dig around to find Marcum or some other vet looking to regain value on a one-year deal. I don't think Melvin is shutting the door on all remaining options, but on the surface it looks goofy that Dempster was our all-in guy, and if that didn't work out we were going to spend the money on a couple of so-so relievers and hope for the best. Since I have more faith in Melvin than that, the next move would seem to be a trade of some sort.

That either means trading prospects for a guy with 1-2 years of team control remaining, or our trading a vet for prospects. I hope we don't do the former, but as to the latter, recent events could open up the possibility of Melvin trading away Gomez or Hart. The Upton deal shows teams are willing to pay big money for slugging, good defense CFs, so that ups Gomez's value. The Choo trade shows that a player who could be called similar to Hart can bring a Top 10 prospect in trade. The Dempster signing gets Melvin's attention turned away from apparently the only FA he was interested in.

We'll see where it goes from here.

Yea I don't see Doug doing anything this Off-season. :rolleyes

Should be fun battling for last place with the Cubs.

Archived