Brewer Fanatic

James Shields and Wade Davis to Royals

splitterpfj

package includes mega prospect Wil Myers. this makes no sense for the royals. They have tons of top prospects but they are nowhere near contending in 2013. Why would you trade your best prospect when still the best you are going to do is maybe go 500. I'd keep these prospects for atleast trading chips when you need to make a midseason trade.

http://www.draysbay.com/2012/12/9/3749282/rays-reportedly-trade-james-shields-and-wade-davis-to-royals

Ned Yost will have a lot of potential starting pitching options this year. Add Shields and Davis to Jeremy Guthrie, Ervin Santana, Bruce Chen, Luke Hochevar, Luis Mendoza, Jake Odorizzi and Mike Montgomery. Not to mention some other talented pitching not far away.

EDIT: Didn't realize they shipped out Odorizzi, wow seems like too much to trade away if your the Royals.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Ned Yost will have a lot of potential starting pitching options this year. Add Shields and Davis to Jeremy Guthrie, Ervin Santana, Bruce Chen, Luke Hochevar, Luis Mendoza, Jake Odorizzi and Mike Montgomery. Not to mention some other talented pitching not far away.

except not odorizzi or montgomery.

Ned Yost will have a lot of potential starting pitching options this year. Add Shields and Davis to Jeremy Guthrie, Ervin Santana, Bruce Chen, Luke Hochevar, Luis Mendoza.

Except none of that pitching is very good. Shields is fine but he is not a top-level ace that you trade multiple elite prospects for.

Just absurd.

Except none of that pitching is very good. Shields is fine but he is not a top-level ace that you trade multiple elite prospects for.

Just absurd.

I agree, I just meant a lot of starting pitchers, not necessarily "quality" starters. I would be sick about this trade if I was a Royals fan. They have preached patience and got their fan base excited about the future.... and now with some potential franchise caliber players on the horizon it appears they have pulled the plug on the plan in order to put together an average starting rotation over the next couple of years.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This is kind of like their version of the Marcum deal. They gave up more, but also got more back. The Royals could likely never acquire a guy the caliber of Shields in free agency, and they must feel like they are close to competing. This one could look really good or really bad in a few years

EDIT: Didn't realize they shipped out Odorizzi, wow seems like too much to trade away if your the Royals.

Davis is no longer a starter.

This is kind of like their version of the Marcum deal. They gave up more, but also got more back. The Royals could likely never acquire a guy the caliber of Shields in free agency, and they must feel like they are close to competing. This one could look really good or really bad in a few years

Not really. The Brewers had two legitimate MVP caliber hitters with All Star Caliber players in RF and 2B and at least two solid above average starters. The Twins have Gordon and some nice complimentary pieces and a terrible rotation. Adding Shields does really nothing.

Hypothetically, would you have traded Gallardo for Myers? I know in the Trade Forum, the idea was getting slammed. Gallardo and Shields are pretty similar. Gallardo has an extra year on his deal while Shields has pitched more innings and has put up his numbers in the AL East.

Dollarbill...not yet.

If the kids show they can pitch the team through a full season this year, then next winter, I would absolutely consider dealing Yo.

Look at what the A's got for Gio Gonzalez last year, and now what Tampa got for Shields - there's no reason not to want Yo here, but if you can get a big package of controllable talent for him, why not?

Wow wrote a nice post on Myers trade forum and it was closed down.

Anyway, sum it up:

Myers for Shields, fine. Davis for Odorizzi fine. How Royals lose Montgomery?.....

Tampa is beyond stockpiled now! It's sick. I think their top level farm is better than Marlins team to be playing this year! Of course a few will be playing for TB in the Bigs, Myers being one of them. Tampa may become the best team in the East without spending 150mil+ and its a joy as a small market fan to witness. And to think they still have Price to trade away for an even bigger haul at some point, Leaving Moore as their ace and then the prospects.

KC. Must feel with Boston/Yankees in rebuild/payroll constraints. Grienke in Dodger Blue vs. Rangers/Angels that this is the move to make their run at a WS this year and next. They have a nice young (Brewers like 2007-2011) lineup to work with in Cain,Escobar,Hosmer,Butler,Moustakas,Perez. Francoeur who was one of the worst offensively can only improve....or does KC break it open with Swisher? Royals are hurt long term but this has all the makings of the Sabathia trade plus 1.

Things I've always thought about is when a team gets better a H2H win is worth 2games. KC may be looking at H2H over Chi/Det improve by 3-4 each and now it's find 6-10 more wins and you have a division. Hosmer/Francoeur were awful all last season batting in the 3/5holes. There's a lot of runs to be had by an expected year from those two. So foolish to lose what KC lost long term. But with the added WC, I fully expect them to make the playoffs with only Det standing in way of Division title. If as a Franchise KC feels a Playoff appearance and real attempt at Division title is needed this is a great trade for them. Shields for all the troubles he had up to the AS Break last season pitched to a great final line. Take that struggle out of the blocks and he's probably in the Cy Young running.

Fun Stuff happening in the AL. Both Yankees and Redsox are questionable to make the playoffs!

Hypothetically, would you have traded Gallardo for Myers? I know in the Trade Forum, the idea was getting slammed. Gallardo and Shields are pretty similar. Gallardo has an extra year on his deal while Shields has pitched more innings and has put up his numbers in the AL East.

Yes this trade was slammed. Brewers are no where near what Tampa is in losing an Ace caliber pitcher. After Gallardo its.....Estrada?

Tampa has Price,Moore, then Shields who's an Ace at #3 in their rotation. Yes Moore is ahead of Shields, moving forward. Tampa has 3+ 200in 200k guys pretty much to work with for years to come. Milwaukee? It starts with Gallardo ends with him.

The Peraltas,Jungmans,Bradley and such are two years behind minimum where Tampa is in losing Shields. So that's why the trade was slammed.

My memory is Ben Sheets, Yo Gallardo as Aces brought up by Milw in farm in past 15years? Tampa has 3 today Hellickson a 4th?

I do wonder with Washington,Phi,Atl,Dodgers moves how realistic a shot Brewers have in 2013/2014. I would consider Gallardo,Hart,Ramirez,Gomez tradeable at this stage if the offers seem decent enough for a 2015-2018 resurgence. Thinking the prospect pitchers/Braun,Segura,Morris,Lucroy bats are in place and the added prospects for the 4earlier are ready for impact at the ML level as well at that point.

It is something as a small market to think, is trying to maintain 75-85 wins year-year better than putting a 2-3year hiatus at 70wins saving on payroll 70-85mil? so to have all the pieces in place for a 85-95win stretch and ok running a 95-110payroll to buy two missing pieces. As Washington is in.

Archived