Brewer Fanatic

Dempster

jjfanec

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope not. I really think that Melvin has learned his lesson on signing guys like this. Suppan was a disaster, and Wolf was OK- good for about half of his contract. Both were released with the Brewers owing them money. I think signing any aging guy to a multi-year deal off one of the best seasons in their career leads to limited reward with extremely high risk. I'd have rather seen them take a risk on a guy like McCarthy. At this point if they must sign a pitcher to a multi-year deal, at least can it please not be Dempster or Lohse?

This has been known for awhile now. I doubt Melvin will budge on not going over 2 years, especially for an older player like Dempster. However, if the 3 year offers never come, I think Milwaukee has the upper hand for the same reasons Ramirez ended up here. I'd probably prefer Edwin Jackson at around the same price, just because he carries less risk.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If Dempster really wants a 3 year deal, give him whatever you would pay for 2 years (25 mil?) and say we'll give you the 3rd year but only an extra mil or two. I would do 3/27.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

PrinceEatMeat, not only is Dempster older, but earlier this offseason the medical staff said that guys tend to come back from Tommy John surgery strong only to wind up having other issues later on. Dempster had his surgery probably 6 or 7 years ago.

PrinceEatMeat, not only is Dempster older, but earlier this offseason the medical staff said that guys tend to come back from Tommy John surgery strong only to wind up having other issues later on. Dempster had his surgery probably 6 or 7 years ago.

Which is why I prefer Jackson. I don't see how 2 years is that big of a risk though honestly. I wouldn't go 3. I don't think he should be completely pushed aside.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

This looks like a good stare down, and I don't see a reason for any team to go to three years. Dempster has already rejected offers from KC and Boston, if the Brewers meet his price per year, which they will, then I believe he'll come to them.

I don't doubt that Milwaukee would do 2/26, but Dempster has already rejected exactly that from KC.

He wants 3/39, which I do not think the Brewers will do, nor do I think they should.

In this case, "You Can't Always Get What You Want"...if Dempster wants to keep his home in Chicago, remain in the NL, and train in AZ...then the Brewers are in a good position to wait him out. If he won't come off the third year, I'm sure the Brewers will simply move on.

Unless I'm missing someone, there are eight NL teams that train in AZ...

Arizona, Chicago, Cincinnati, Colorado, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, San Diego and San Franciso.

The Cubs already backed away from offering three years, as did the Brewers...I doubt most of those other teams think they need him badly enough to even consider it, unless Ryan wants to pitch in Colorado.

The Dodgers signing Greinke takes away much of the leverage Dempster thought he would have. Dempster and his agent were counting on the Dodgers swooping in if Greinke went elsewhere and offering 3 years. The Dodgers were the best bet to offer him 3 years, but only if they missed out on Greinke.

Personally, I'd still stay away, but I think the odds are the Brewers get him but only for two years. Melvin for whatever reason is focusing on him almost exclusively it seems. I'm not all that excited about it and don't think in the long run or even the short run it's a good idea, but 2 years is far better than 3.

I don't understand why DM won't do 3 years on Edwin Jackson?? He's younger than Dempster, and he's a better fit for the staff, IMO. I think, if Dempster wants to be in Milwaukee, the compromise will be 2 years with an option.

He sees Peralta, Thornburg, Jungmann and others as legit staring prospects, who by 2015 are being counted on to be the rotation here. If they don't make it, there will always be guys like Jackson out there. The need now is a short bridge, not a long one.

So if half of them pan out you flip Jackson in 2 years and either get more prospects or use him to fill a hole in the roster. I have no problems going 3 years on Jackson for his 29-32 years. I wouldn't give dempster 3 though.

And how did that work for Suppan and Wolf? If everyone knew Jackson was going to be good in three years (so he could be flipped), he would already be signed to a big contract. There just seems to be questions about his abilities or longevity for some reason. Count me in as a guy that doesn't want to block the youngsters.

He's a better pitcher than either of those 2. And we signed them when they were in their mid 30's. If he pitches to his norm ie 4.0 era 1.3 whip 200 inng ish we'll have no problem flipping him. You can never have too much pitching and to rely on 4 rookies/ 2nd year pitchers is a recipe for drafting in the top 10.

Losing touch on Dempster topic.

He's turned down 2/25 & 2/26 that we know of and wants 3yrs

Everything about that screams Suppan/Wolf with his age and having questionable years to want to avoid year 3at high 13mil. This season between Wolf and Rodriquez I think hit Melvin/front office. Having a high paying contract in a down season and not being able to move them because those two performed so poorly nobody would take them on. Obviously, teams unwilling to go 3yrs on Dempster shows the concern of his skill declining with age.

You can never have too much pitching and to rely on 4 rookies/ 2nd year pitchers is a recipe for drafting in the top 10.

I'm not saying to rely on just them for 2013. But I would try to find a veteran (FA/trade) for shorter years than the three you think you would sign Jackson for (is that all the years he is asking for?).

Archived