Brewer Fanatic

Edwin Jackson facing a soft market

Interesting. Jackson has gone from being a fairly overrated young pitcher who was ready to have his breakout year for about the first 8 years of his career to someone who actually seems to be somewhat under-appreciated. I'd much rather have him over Dempster. I'd be willing to go 3/36 on him with maybe an option for a 4th. He's a strong bet to finish at 200 innings, still youngish, and throws plenty hard. He'd add some much need stability (imo) to a still mostly unproven rotation.

Interesting. Jackson has gone from being a fairly overrated young pitcher who was ready to have his breakout year for about the first 8 years of his career to someone who actually seems to be somewhat under-appreciated. I'd much rather have him over Dempster. I'd be willing to go 3/36 on him with maybe an option for a 4th. He's a strong bet to finish at 200 innings, still youngish, and throws plenty hard. He'd add some much need stability (imo) to a still mostly unproven rotation.

Melvin has said he's not going above 2 years on these pitchers, unless its Greinke, aint happening, EJ isnt going to get 3 + an option fron anyone IMO

On his way up, scouts thought Jackson would be more than he's been, he's not overwhelming, but he's a 6-inning, 4 ERA guy, which is nothing to sneeze at.

I have to wonder what the deal is, Jackson has been traded a million times, and no one wants to commit to him.

Jackson & Sanchez might come off the board quickly once Greinke signs. But if a three or four year deal would get Jackson... I'm interested (no draft pick compensation iirc).

Same here TLB. Huge fan of Jackson. I'd be thrilled if Melvin could somehow sign him to a deal that makes sense for both sides.

That said....IMO there is very little chance the Brewers will land any SP in free agency. The contracts are already ridiculous, and when Greinke signs I believe we'll see Dempter, Sanchez and Jackson go pretty quickly, and for money that is beyond what a.) they're worth and b.) the Brewers could (or should) offer.

Melvin has said he's not going above 2 years on these pitchers, unless its Greinke, aint happening, EJ isnt going to get 3 + an option fron anyone IMO

I wonder if that counts two and an option? If he signed Dempster (gag) to a two year $27 million deal with a $4 million buyout for year three, he'd technically be standing to his pledge. He seems to be progressing that way: Soup, 4 years plus option and Wolf 3 plus option....

Back to Jackson, I haven't been a big fan of signing him in the past, but every time I see the Brewers linked to Dempster, I become more of a Jackson fan.

I was very anti EJ last year because his stats didn't seem sustainable at all and he has always been way overrated. He turned in a pretty good year last year and wouldn't mind taking a stab at him, though there is no way I pay him $14 a year.

he's only 29 and this is his transaction list on B-Ref.

January 14, 2006: Traded by the Los Angeles Dodgers with Chuck Tiffany (minors) to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for Danys Baez and Lance Carter.

December 10, 2008: Traded by the Tampa Bay Rays to the Detroit Tigers for Matthew Joyce.

December 8, 2009: Traded as part of a 3-team trade by the Detroit Tigers to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Detroit Tigers sent Curtis Granderson to the New York Yankees. The New York Yankees sent Phil Coke and Austin Jackson to the Detroit Tigers. The New York Yankees sent Ian Kennedy to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Arizona Diamondbacks sent Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth to the Detroit Tigers.

July 30, 2010: Traded by the Arizona Diamondbacks to the Chicago White Sox for David Holmberg (minors) and Daniel Hudson.

July 27, 2011: Traded by the Chicago White Sox with Mark Teahen to the Toronto Blue Jays for Jason Frasor and Zach Stewart.

July 27, 2011: Traded by the Toronto Blue Jays with Octavio Dotel, Corey Patterson, Marc Rzepczynski and cash to the St. Louis Cardinals for Trever Miller, Colby Rasmus, Brian Tallet and P.J. Walters.

October 30, 2011: Granted Free Agency.

February 2, 2012: Signed as a Free Agent with the Washington Nationals.

October 29, 2012: Granted Free Agency.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

he's only 29 and this is his transaction list on B-Ref.

I posted this article when the season ended. Someone took the time to lift the hood and examine each of those trades. Interesting read, and it seems Jackson was always one of the main parts of the trade(s), never a throw in or add on:

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/2/3/2767775/edwin-jackson-washington-nationals-trades

Jackson was supposed to be the centerpiece of the package in the trade that would have sent him to Milwaukee in return for Richie Sexson. He was iffy at first, then blew out his shoulder. It wasn't until with the Rays that he started hitting upper 90s again. He's been very good since then

I would find it hard to believe that EJax would fall into our price range. I would prefer him over all the other FA SPs left out there (maybe equal with Anibal). I would worry about the mileage on that arm over the past few years, so I wouldn't go more than two, but I'd much prefer him to Dempster. He seems to be the sort of innings eater that we will need with the young arms and question marks.
Formerly Andersoc420

I would go three years with Edwin Jackson in a heartbeat. I think we could get him at 3 years and somewhere between $39-$42 million. Considering he is only going to be 29, 30 and 31 during those seasons I think he would be worth the $13-$14m annually and would slide very nicely into the #2 spot in the rotation. Gallardo, Jackson, Estrada as a Top 3 is solid with Rogers/Peralta/Fiers battling for the final 2 is not a bad way to go into 2013.

I agree. I'd probably give him a 3 year deal, but only if it's at a lower AAV. I'd prefer to not give him $13-14M. I think he could be a solid #2 though. Would likely go with Fiers and Rogers in the rotation and start Peralta out at AAA then. Narveson could be long man in the pen.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I would go three years with Edwin Jackson in a heartbeat. I think we could get him at 3 years and somewhere between $39-$42 million. Considering he is only going to be 29, 30 and 31 during those seasons I think he would be worth the $13-$14m annually and would slide very nicely into the #2 spot in the rotation. Gallardo, Jackson, Estrada as a Top 3 is solid with Rogers/Peralta/Fiers battling for the final 2 is not a bad way to go into 2013.

I couldn't agree more!! I would love a rotation of:

Gallardo

Jackson

Estrada

Fiers

Peralta or Rogers

I can see why there is a push to get another vet in the rotation, but it really seems to be a little more straight forward to let the youth playout and focus on adding some quality bullpen arms. Having 3-4 young cheap rotation arms goes along way to keeping the team very affordable and in contention for years.

I can see why there is a push to get another vet in the rotation, but it really seems to be a little more straight forward to let the youth playout and focus on adding some quality bullpen arms. Having 3-4 young cheap rotation arms goes along way to keeping the team very affordable and in contention for years.

Honestly the only piece we need for our bullpen yet is a Left handed reliever... And I would like to get either JP Howell or Mike Gonzalez for that spot.

And maybe another Right handed reliever... Someone like Jason Frasor.

Archived