Brewer Fanatic

Brandon McCarthy gets 2-yr deal with very active D'backs

brewmann04

I still think Dempster will end up in Milwaukee. Not looking like he'll get his 3 year deal, so he'll sign for 2. Maybe with an option. Edwin Jackson is seeming like he could be had at a good price too, and on a short-term deal.

Supposedly he already turned down a 2 year/$25 million deal from the Red Sox. I see no way he ends up in Milwaukee at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brandon McCarthy was pretty much the one starting pitcher on the free agent market that I was hoping the Brewers would spend money on. He walks people at about half the rate that Gallardo does and while he doesn't strike many people out, he could have been somebody who could have gone deeper in games to relieve the bullpen a bit.

I'm just hoping we don't spend a ton of money on Ryan Dempster. He has overperformed the last few years, he will be well overpriced, and there's very little upside there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely prefer Jackson at this point if he can be had at a reasonable price and length deal. I just think Dempster will prefer being in Milwaukee for much of the same reasons Ramirez signed here. I think that will prevail in the end if all the offers are similar, and he doesn't get 3 years from anyone. Not sure how signing Dempster would end up turning out. It's definitely risky, but if it's 2 years at a decent price it's not that bad.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Injury risk is there for McCarthy but he was one of the FA pitchers that i really wanted to the Brewers to look at. I was thinking two years and 15 million but i would have been happy if the Brewers could have got him for that. Not the biggest fan of Dempster especially at three years. Wonder if we are not looking at going the trade route!

What is going on!? So we want to place 13mil for a Jackson/or Dempster and let a guy like McCarthy go at 2years 15.5?!

If you would tell me Anibal Sanchez will get 15mil/yr this FA and McCarthy only 15.5 on 2years I'd laugh at your face!

I'd also have matched this deal threw in a 13mil option on 3rd year since I have no doubt McCarthy will pitch to the 13mil/yr he deserves in today's market.

My question is why Dbacks signed him? They have those young pitchers, better than Milw's. And to me its on that they are trading away for a SS? I'm not a huge fan of Cabreras. Lose Upton and Bauer/Skaggs for Cabrera? And who else? Just seeks Arz is trying to destroy themselves.

Back to McCarthy, I would have thrown a 2/17-18 offer to him no problem before seeing he signed at 2/15.5 I don't like the 2nd tier pitchers in FA and that 13mil+ price tag. They all have risk to them but McCarthy was had at 60% their price with more upside/slight more injury risk.

He is an awful fit for the Brewers but I would have liked the risk vs reward factor. We really do need at least one reliable 200+ inning guy though considering everyone after Gallardo is probably capped under a full season.

Archived