Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo's contract

NYChez
The Brewers somehow have Gallardo signed up through 2015 at less than $13 mil per. I'd have to think if he was on the open market now he'd get a bigger contract than Greinke is expecting to get - probably over $200 mil total. It's more important than ever to keep the minors stocked with good arms. Signing decent free agents or even retaining your own quality players seems out of the question with several teams acting like the Yankees.

NYChez, I agree that Gallardo is currently a bargain for the Brewers (as is Braun...he's an unbelievable bargain). However, what is your reasoning for believing that Gallardo would get more than Grienke on the FA market right now?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think the point is growing your own when it comes to starting pitching is a lot more fiscally responsible and the Brewers were wise to lock up Gallardo when they did. Gallardo doesn't have a Cy Young on his mantle but Gallardo is 2 years younger then Greinke, and as teammates, there wasn't much separating the two. Greinke is benefiting from being the only "premier" guy on the market now. If Gallardo was out there in that position, he'd get very rich too.

I think the point is growing your own when it comes to starting pitching is a lot more fiscally responsible and the Brewers were wise to lock up Gallardo when they did. Gallardo doesn't have a Cy Young on his mantle but Gallardo is 2 years younger then Greinke, and as teammates, there wasn't much separating the two. Greinke is benefiting from being the only "premier" guy on the market now. If Gallardo was out there in that position, he'd get very rich too.

Gallardo also doesn't have anywhere near the talent. The comparable on the market is Sanchez not Greinke.

Gallardo also doesn't have anywhere near the talent. The comparable on the market is Sanchez not Greinke.

Does "talent" matter if it doesn't translate into results?

Career Stats

Gallardo: 3.63 ERA, 9.2 K/9

Greinke: 3.77 ERA, 8.0 K/9

Does "talent" matter if it doesn't translate into results?

Career Stats

Gallardo: 3.63 ERA, 9.2 K/9

Greinke: 3.77 ERA, 8.0 K/9

I'm surprised, I love ZG but very overrated. His numbers probably would be better had he spent more time in the NL.

they should try to extend him for another couple years, not trade him. if they add 3 more years, he'll still be only 32 when he'd hit free agency. plenty of time for him to still pick up another big contract.

Agreed. Gallardo shouldn't be dealt unless a deal absolutely blew us away. He's not a true ace, but very few are. He's in that second tier of strikeout pitchers and besides the freak injury he doesn't have an injury history.

This is what you strive for, or what you should strive for in my opinion when building a team. A reliable, power-pitcher that has experience before coming into his prime. Gallardo is the last person we should deal.

I'd pick Gallardo to start a playoff game over Greinke and Greinke will be making double what Gallardo is making. This makes me happy.

However, with players like the Dodgers, Angels, and Rangers now spending like the Yankees, I wonder if we'll see a temporary end to the contracts to young players that buy out free agent years. It's going to be very difficult for the Brewers to keep players like Gallardo and Braun beyond 6 years.

Well Rays extended Longoria, McCutchen got his contract.

I actually expect more contracts locking up the young guys before free agency. Harper/Trout? How long before they are extended with a payraise?

Braun's extension is another example a 2nd time.

The argument can always be made for every FA winner, there's the players who got injured, lost skills and lost value that 2seasons or so before FA would have led to a big payday. Signing 7year deals locking in more money today and long term has value over making below league avg depending on remaining healthy and continuing to perform.

Archived